VG30i to VG33i ish...

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Geoffs89Pathy
Car: 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, SASed(chopped for parts)
1991 wd21 D44 coilovers, bumpers, lots more..

hi i have a 1989 nissan pathfinder SASed lots of comstom stuff, built for rock crawling/ daily driving.
my engine has 215k on it, has no power, and all the accsesories suck.
so i am fixing all that.
i bought and have a VG33e from a 2000 Xterrra with 130k, swapped out from over heating problems.... everything else is ok i think. the water galleys are somewhat gunked up but not too too bad.

i have it torn down to the small block right now, and i am about to take the block apart.

did i mention this is my first engine build/modification ever?

anyways, i have done some reading on what some people have done to these engines to get them just a little bit more power out of them.

1st thing to remember is the reason i am doing this is because my engine is TIRED and
2nd, accessories suck,
3rd i want a little more power.

My current plan is this
VG33e 2000 Xterra motor $200 bucks
using my intake/ ECU .....for now......will upgrade to MPFI in the future. FREE.99
using my cams out of my VG30i FREE.99
using the round tooth timing gears and belt. belt= $40?
using the VG33 crank shaft and pulley and oil filter.FREE.99
using a 2002 quest 125 amp alternator. (bolts on)$180 new at AZ
using the VG33 A/C pump with custom hoses prolly. ( buying pump and a couple hoses from some guy off RONIN for $100 bucks) custom hoses ... who knows...
using the trail gear ram assist TC ps pump with a grand cherokee ps pulley to match my crank pulley with the TC pump. this will be the only accessory that will need a custom bracket. with Custom lines; and a custom resevoir; going to a newer modified/rebuilt nissan box that matches my frame holes; tapped for the PSC steering RAM. Total, around $600 bones
BMW electric fan.$100 bucks?
dual battery setup inside engine bay.depends on the type of batteries i use. prolly around $200-$450
custom motor mounts from ROCK HUMPER. $215
new clutch 400 bucks
machine shop work, machine fly wheel, hone cylinders, check basics... $$$not sure.
COMPLETE ENGINE REBUILD KIT... any one make one? how much ? $$$ guessing 200-300 bucks.

End result= Xtremely reliable, capable, custom Pathy.
approximately 33% Horsepower gain 33% torque gain... guessing around 185-195 HP 215 ft/lbs of Torque...

not sure on the clutch yet... what year do i buy the clutch for??? the engine or my tranny???? are they the same??

Questions for you engine gurus...:
if the machinist mics my cylinders and says i need a bore, i would like to do more than just the stock .5 mm over pistons. WHAT are my options here.
i know about th VH45 piston upgrade, but can you give me some more info on this?
i also know that it is possible to bore this engine out to a 3.7 o3.8 liter, but what does that entail??? just bigger pistons and call it good?

i dont want to go crazy here, im just wondering if i have to buy new pistons then what is my best option/s ...

if i dont need new pistons... then i guess i just get it honed and buy bigger rings.

thanks for the help!!!!

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”