VG30E swapout for VG30DETT need swapwizards advice

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
jdmaddict1981
Car: 95' nissan pathfinder (vg30e) 2wd

ok i'm kinda new to a forum setting so here goes...,

i own a 95 nissan pathfinder XE-V6 (VG30E engine) i am in the process of buying a 95 nissan SE-V6 kingcab pickup and had an interesting idea...., i would like to drop a VG30DETT in place of the VG30E that rests there now. I do already understand i need to aquire the FSM (field service manual) for both vehicles so i could repin the ECU harness in the pickup to correctly operate the VG30DETT or so i could use the ECU from the z32 donor vehicle. The only other question or problem i am having is will the transmission bolt up to the transfer case( i.e. the 2wd models of the pathfinder and pickup use an extension housing to take up the "slack" of the driveline since there is no transfercase) i will check back on this is a couple of days (4 atmost) keep in mind i do have moderate amount of mechanical knowledge( automatics are still a mystery to me) thanks for all your responses.

Ni$$@n240
Car: Currently 1995 S14 Se

Very interesting concept. I also drive a 95 pathfinder fwd and thought about this. Im not sure about the transfer case dilema but I would see if the motor would bolt to the trans in the pathfinder. Im sure there a close match?

jdmaddict1981
Car: 95' nissan pathfinder (vg30e) 2wd

The idea was to take a 300zx (vg30dett) engine and place it into the engine bay of the pathfinder to make a v8 killer. one basic problem is that the downpipe from the turbo charger on the driver side would collide or not have enough room to go to the exhaust because of the connection from the steering wheel to the steering gearbox, an adapter can be fabricated or made to the downpipe to the exhaust which has to be a custom made exhaust system all the way to the catalytic converter. the same adapter has to be used on the passanger side turbo charger also (the only reason you have to use the same adapter is to equalize pressure from the exhaust across both turbo chargers so that one isnt outproducing the other). the other issue is where the placement of the o2 cencers should go. generically there is one o2 cencer in the pathfinder upstream from the catalytic converter to retain the usage of the o2 cencer stock you would have to create a y-pipe for the turbo exhaust system. the only thing that i could think of that would be a problem is the bolt pattern from the engine to the transmission. nissan is just like any other car company they are going to try and produce a basic setup for every model of that year using as many common parts as possible (i.e. starters, manifold gaskets, transmissions housings, engine blocks, etc.) im in the process of researching this by usage of haze manuals the internet and the fsm (field service manual) for each vehicle. so far, i have found that it in theory should work but in practice there will be fitnent issues if you do not have a working knowledge of vehicle wiring this would not be a good project for you to tackle. im gonna start my project in feb. the best way to do one of these projects is to take at least 30 to 60 days of research. flying blind on a vehicle build is always a bad idea. when i complete this project i will definatley post pictures and notations how to do this step by step so if you want to emulate my project so the headache work would be done.

Ni$$@n240
Car: Currently 1995 S14 Se

Awesome I look foward to the write up on this project even though i dont plan on doing this in my pathfinder. I figured there would be steering column issues with the turbo and mainifolds. Good luck.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”