VG30E SOHC: Is timing belt a DIY job?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Jesda

Since I'm going to be the owner of a SOHC Maxima and an M30, I was wondering if the timing belt job is DIY-friendly? I'm looking at this page:

http://autozone.com/servlet/Ui...6.jsp

I dont know what this picture is referring to:http://autozone.com/images/cds...9.gif"Confirm that No. 1 cylinder is at TDC on its compression stroke. Install tensioner and tensioner spring. If stud is removed apply locking sealant to threads before installing."

I have no idea what that even remotely means. I've never worked on a belt-driven car before. Is this something I should leave to a professional?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Search for posts in the nissan online mechanic. I made a post about doing the belt on an old maxima as well.. Its probably borderline DIY friendly, id say its going to be easier in the M30 than the maxima, due to the transverse orientation.

M30 Steve

Hello Jesda,

I have done two T-belts on my M30. As I remember about 6 hours labor for me (novice mechanic). You need a puller for the crank pulley. I would replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time. I had trouble setting the tensioner, NISTECH at Nissan online mechanic gave advice. I would use OEM parts on this. The water pump is only accessable with the belt casing off, so best to replace it.

Thanks Steve

Jesda

Argh! Pulling the crank?

This sounds like a job for the gas station.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm fairly sure it'd be a nasty beast as far as the Maxima is concerned. There is NO ROOM on the front of the engine. You'd end up needing to pull apart the entire passenger side brake/steering/axle and possibly drop the block...just doesn't look friendly (mine's overdue, and I've been debating paying the $600 for the dealer to do it...I think I will).I've been told it's a full saturday job if you do it yourself, so it can absolutely be done.

Also, M30 Steve said you have to pull the crank pulley (not the crank) if that's any less intimidating.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”