VG30E N/A capable of 400hp and how?

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
RetroZ
Car: 1988 300zx n/a

I'm pretty new to working on cars in general and only did a few easy upgrades to my 88' 300zx i.e, radiator/e-fans, alternator, fuel pump etc and was just wondering if the VG30E N/A is capable of 400hp. I am not swapping it for any other engine and I plan on turbo-ing it once I'm more educated on the matter. It's an automatic (4n71b) and I REALLY don't want to swap to a manual. I feel like I'll be crucified for saying that but I don't know how to drive manual yet and even if I did I wouldn't want to as it is my daily driver and would seem very tedious and exhausting to drive everyday.That being said I've read that the 4n71b is a weak transmission and I've also read that Level 10 made upgrade kits for this transmission so I'm hoping they are the solution to prevent it from blowing up. My HP goal is 400, anything above is just a bonus but if I can't make it to 400, what ever I get is what I get because I'm not swapping engines. Any turbo type/brand recommendations? I don't have a budget as I'll be working on acquiring parts and prepping the car over a long period of time since it's my daily and I need it to drive lol but I'm trying to keep it reasonable i.e parts individually under $1k. Any tips/advice to get me started or pointed in the right direction is greatly appreciated, thank you! Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else or has been asked before.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Not without a turbo. The turbo swap involves either replacing the front subframe wiht the unit from a turbo car or a relocation pipe and other mods. It's generally easier and cheaper to start wiht a turbo car. The biggest issue with these cars same as all Z's before it is rust, start wiht a good car. If your's is in great shape it might be worth swapping. If it's not, buy a better car, hopefully a turbo model. 400 whp is near the limit of the stock pistons. a stock turbo car makes 200 ish hp at the crank, dding an intercooler and upping the boost can get you about 260-280 whp. beyond that the turbo, injectors and ecu all need upgrading. The swap and these mods have been covered a few times, browse this section for more information.

RetroZ
Car: 1988 300zx n/a

evildky wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 am
Not without a turbo. The turbo swap involves either replacing the front subframe wiht the unit from a turbo car or a relocation pipe and other mods. It's generally easier and cheaper to start wiht a turbo car. The biggest issue with these cars same as all Z's before it is rust, start wiht a good car. If your's is in great shape it might be worth swapping. If it's not, buy a better car, hopefully a turbo model. 400 whp is near the limit of the stock pistons. a stock turbo car makes 200 ish hp at the crank, dding an intercooler and upping the boost can get you about 260-280 whp. beyond that the turbo, injectors and ecu all need upgrading. The swap and these mods have been covered a few times, browse this section for more information.
Thanks for the reply. I should of worded that properly I don't expect an n/a to get 400hp without a turbo lol it was more of a na2t kind of question. I'll keep reading around for more info thanks for the advice :)

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”