VG30DETT longblock in a 93 Infiniti J30

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
layedoutb2k
Car: '64 NL320, '85 720, '83 Rabbit GTI

The VG30DE in my J30 has reached it's lifespan with many problems with it. I have a VG30DETT with 30k miles that was imported in from Malaysia and didn't end out having use for the 510 that it was going to go in. I'm wondering if I can swap the longblock over into the J30. It will be staying NA so I know I'll be losing some power from the lower compression but I'm trying to find out if it's possible. Through some research, I've heard that the TT version uses an external oil pump. Is that correct? Is there any difference in the injectors or any sensors/locations? Any difficulties I may run into? I will be keeping the auto that's in the car. The TT has a 5 speed attached to it.

I know some people may try to talk me into swapping everything over and boosting it but I have enough projects right now and want to do a quick swap if it's possible. Thanks :dblthumb:

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

For clarification, a "short block" refers to the engine block and rotating assembly. A "long block" refers to the shortblock plus heads, it does not include the intake exhaust or oil pan. So yes you can swap over the long block. The block is the same, you are right about lower compression. The oil pump is internal and I think a higher volume otherwise the same. The oil pan, pickup and dipstick might need to be swapped I have no idea what the J has. The TT uses an "oil tree" as such there is no detent ball in the block at the oil filter, unless the J uses some sort of filter adapter thats something you'd need to look at changing. The TT has much larger injectors so you'll need to change those out for sure. The COp's PTU, CAS, CHTS etc are all the same, although the oil sender might be in a different location as this is an issue on the n/a to TT swap as well, it's easy to move you just have to swap it with the plug in the alternate location.

layedoutb2k

Thanks for your reply on that . It has taken me a while to get the engine and I finally got to put it in last week. I had read your reply before starting it and everything you had mentioned was correct. The oilpan, dipstick, and pickup are different on the J but swapped easily. The fuel rail was also different between the two. The oil sender just replaced one of the turbo oil lines near the starter. It was a pretty time consuming swap but the car runs better than it ever has since I've owned it. It even feels like it has more power because the engine isn't worn out like the old one, even with the compression difference. I first made the mistake of not replacing the injector o-rings the first time. Not a mistake I'll ever make again :mad:

The only issue I'm having is cold starts. In the morning(about 30 degrees out) it has a lot of trouble starting up. I have to crank it for quite a while before it tries to fire and for the first couple minutes of driving it stumbles on acceleration from a stop. After that it clears up and runs perfect. I'm swapping the coolant temp sensor in the morning from my old engine to see if that might be an issue. The water pump failed on a test drive because of rust from sitting for a long time so I hope it's an issue with corrosion on it. I have a check engine light on and will be scanning it at the same time too.

HeliMan
Car: 1991 Z32 turbo

Did I here that correctly you succesfully transplanted a VG30DETT into J30 Body

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

and did not clean or re-fresh the bottem end

layedoutb2k

I didn't swap the turbos with the engine. I don't believe the turbos would physically fit with the stock exhaust manifold. It was simply swapping the longblock with all of the NA components on it.

I didn't see a need to refresh the bottom end. The engine only has 30k miles and there was very little signs of wear on the cams and cylinder walls

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”