VG30DETT into a 87" Turbo body 300ZX

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Blackbob
Car: 05' M6 GTO

Hey,

Long time since I posted on here. But anyhow let me tell you about my friend Jay. Jay currently has a 87" Z31 with a 85" VG30E in it now that he pulled from his totalled 85". Anyway he has a 92" VG30DETT that he is gonna rebuild and mod the hell out of then he is gonna swap it into his 87". I know this has to have been done before so here's my question. What do we need to do before we do this swap I'm talking all the parts and labor required to do all this and anything he need to do to the body itself. His 87" is a Turbo body but no turbo motor in it at the moment. Any inquires would be great thanks,

~Blackbob~

ucfz31s13
Car: Business/Networking/Web

The money rebuilding/modding/fabbing the vg30dett to fit is not worth the trouble. For 1/2 as much money you can drop in a vg30et, get more fuel and a nicely sized t3/t4 and easily put 400ish hp to the ground. Build the motor w/ some BRC pistons, tt rods and you can support over 500hp...

There is not even a handful of people that have done the vg30dett swap in the z31. I've only seen 3 at the most. It's not worth the time, effort, and money to spend fabricating and doing custom work and endless hours of troubleshooting to put the vg30dett in when you can have a monster of a vg30et for far less the cost...

z

Blackbob

YEah we where gonna do that anyway and I was just wondering cause. He has one in his shed that he wanted to do something with. But we're prolly gonna use the VG30ET anyway becuase it be less work.

~Blackbob~

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

motor mounts and everything else that is different including PS equip, AC, exhaust, tranny etc. not to mention your wiring harnesses relays, ECU, TCU if its an auto...etc

Blackbob

ONe more reason to NOT do it I guess.

~Blackbob~

dirty2
Car: 1987 nissan 300zx turbo vg30et

hey i have the same question as the first guy i have a 87 300zx turbo 5 speed and i want to drop a vg30dett in it i know its possible i was reserching it but the only diffrence is i dont care how much work its gonna take i have my mind set. so can you please give me all of the info on what im going to have to do in order for this to happen i already know im going to have to get a custom drive shaft but i have no clue about the wiring or mounting can someone please help me out i will be extremly greatful
ps. this is not going to be a project where im going to throw a auto tranny in i want this car to scream and i want it to have as much power under the hood as possible with it still being street legal

dirty2
Car: 1987 nissan 300zx turbo vg30et

ok well i just bought the motor today would like a answer soon please :tisk:

rixskyline
Car: 91 Skyline GT-R, 90 300zx TT

I have done this swap, bolts right in, have bare block fitment pix somewhere....

I can give you a full list of needed items, how and what to do to fit it......

sohc mounts to dohc block, mod drivers side to clear turbo intake pipe

bolt on TT tranny and have custom driveshaft made OR 88-89 300zx turbo 5 spd tranny with TT bell housing (allows stock mount, driveshaft and shifter location)

16 wires and your done

this is a TT block and pan clearing stock Z31 NA 87 steering, maybe a lil hammer massage to clear even more later

Bare TT block on stock z31 mounts

My other 88SS Z31 with my VG30DET cedric engine installed (weekend mess job lol)

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”