VG30DETT into 1989 240SX

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

So it's straight $1500 for us then workign on gettign a palce to put my car. As soon as my 22ft box truck sells I'll be ordering... Anyway you could get me measurement of the driveshaft? So I can have one made. I'll do a step by step documentary of the install with plenty of pics uploaded each night.... Shouldn't take more than 2 weeks....

fayceoff

Question... I have orders to Bahrain and I should be there in March. If I bring my '89 hatch with me, can you do the swap? If so, how much? And can I help?

180sxfaktory
Car: 1989 RS13 180SX 1991 RMS13 240SX 1992 RS13 200SX

evan86 wrote:Any chance you can put together my kit without the downpipes as I want to go with a larger size, and how would that affect the price?
At a later date, I'll start to offer the kit in basic form, but until then, I am just offering the master kit.

180sxfaktory

Florida240sx wrote:So it's straight $1500 for us then workign on gettign a palce to put my car. As soon as my 22ft box truck sells I'll be ordering... Anyway you could get me measurement of the driveshaft? So I can have one made. I'll do a step by step documentary of the install with plenty of pics uploaded each night.... Shouldn't take more than 2 weeks....
Tomorrow evening, I'm going to put the VG240 up on the lift and take it apart and take more pics for those who want to see what the work underneath looks like. I'll post them here and I'll also give the dimensions on the shaft.

I'll be doing this in order to get the step-by-step tutorial/instructions together.

180sxfaktory

fayceoff wrote:Question... I have orders to Bahrain and I should be there in March. If I bring my '89 hatch with me, can you do the swap? If so, how much? And can I help?
If you are coming here, you will want to have your car here You will see all kinds of cars and you will be kicking yourself everyday wishing you had brought your car if you don't.

One word of advice, keep the car as stock as possible because the Bahraini Traffic office will intentionally try to find things to fail your car for if it looks like it is a race car. If your car is modified, return it to stock condition, make sure you have factory installed equipment, like reclining buckets (no full bucket allowed in the inspection process) and a back seat with all interior molding. If you have a cage, take it out. Wheels cannot extend out past the fender line and the height must be stock. After you pass the inspection and get the tags, you can do all the mods you want.

If you are intending to use any aftermarket stuff you currently have on your car, take it off now and get them ready for shipment. You haver the time to do it right and don't wait until the last minute because you won't have time. During your household goods shipment, put all your go-fast stuff in boxes. make sure the items are clean, gas and oil free and non-hazardous. If you don't, the movers won't touch it. You say March, you will want to ship your car and your household goods as soon as you have the orders in hand. It will take three months for your car to get here. If you are only gonna be here a year, then you will want to maximize your enjoyment with your car here. There are not that many of us in Bahrain that have the S13 and there is only one S14.

As far as doing a VG30DETT install on your car, of course I can do the swap. The cost will be $7,000.00, and that will include all parts and labor. As for helping out, thanks for the offer, but I have two other guys who depend on the work to get paid. Please understand. You will get a quality end product, and as a "werks" car, I will badge it as part of the Mayhem series.

fayceoff

Copy all. My car is so not a race car (well, yet ). Pretty much the only aftermarket stuff I have is a stereo and S14 seats. I'll be looking for you when I get there. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

greatgonzer
Car: 1990 300ZX NA to TT conversion

Ok I've read this entire thread and I don't even have a 240SX. I actually have a 300zxTT that used to be NA. I ordered a front clip from San Fran and I installed it myself and turned my NA into a Beast. I want to make a couple of points here.1: Very nice job on the kit. These cars should be beasts when put together correctly.2: I ordered my whole front clip from http://www.venus-auto.com for around $2500 (located in San Fran)3: The 240SX engine bay has a ton more room that my 300zx bay. But regardless do all the maintenance like timing belt change, new turbos, Lightened flywheel and new clutch before you drop in the engine. It would suck to just drop in the engine and find out in a month that one of those things was going bad and you have to pull the engine out all over again just to change a turbo.4: Do you sell the oil filter relocater kit by itself for us 300zx guys? I'd be interested in that (oil changes are a pain, yes I know that well).5: If I had a 240 I'd be interested in a dual exhaust like the 300z has. Any way to switch to that kind of exhaust setup6: Why did you go with blow off valves and not retain the recirculator valves. They are A LOT better for the VG30DETT motor. They are also better for performance. Instead of blowing out the boost to atmosphere, they hold your boost in a chamber and when you step on the gas again you should have instant boost.

Just my 2cents. Nice job. I do have some buddies that I roll with that have some 240SXs. I'm going to have to turn them on to this thread.

Malac0da13
Car: 1992 240sx Convertible

i think the gas tank is in the way for a dual exhaust setup

240TweakerNewbee
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX

Call me wrong, but, for the money why not just throw a (I can't believe I'm going to say this) LS-1 in. Brand new in the crate $4k, 350hp/350tq, N/A, light, easy to get parts, reliable, very upgradeable.

That setup does look sweet though. Don't get me wrong, I am a complete Nissan head, I just wish they would come up with some serious displacement that is small and fairly modular for a reasonable price out of the box, not to mention not getting killed on true factory parts.

I'm an inch away from moving to France so I can get a job at the Nissan Corp facility in Trappes (I’ve seen job postings that I qualify for with my degree) just so I can slap the moron who thinks 1 CV axel for my 240 is worth $600 bran new, and every nut and bolt are worth $40 each.

180sxfaktory

greatgonzer wrote:Ok I've read this entire thread and I don't even have a 240SX. I actually have a 300zxTT that used to be NA. I ordered a front clip from San Fran and I installed it myself and turned my NA into a Beast. I want to make a couple of points here.1: Very nice job on the kit. These cars should be beasts when put together correctly.2: I ordered my whole front clip from http://www.venus-auto.com for around $2500 (located in San Fran)3: The 240SX engine bay has a ton more room that my 300zx bay. But regardless do all the maintenance like timing belt change, new turbos, Lightened flywheel and new clutch before you drop in the engine. It would suck to just drop in the engine and find out in a month that one of those things was going bad and you have to pull the engine out all over again just to change a turbo.4: Do you sell the oil filter relocater kit by itself for us 300zx guys? I'd be interested in that (oil changes are a pain, yes I know that well).5: If I had a 240 I'd be interested in a dual exhaust like the 300z has. Any way to switch to that kind of exhaust setup6: Why did you go with blow off valves and not retain the recirculator valves. They are A LOT better for the VG30DETT motor. They are also better for performance. Instead of blowing out the boost to atmosphere, they hold your boost in a chamber and when you step on the gas again you should have instant boost.

Just my 2cents. Nice job. I do have some buddies that I roll with that have some 240SXs. I'm going to have to turn them on to this thread.
Thanks for the frank comments, greatgonzer. I was hoping to get some input from the 300ZX crowd.

The car we have put together does run like a beast, albeit, improvements can be made. My main focus was to ensure that the chassis and the hard points in this kit could stand up to the beating, and they do. I did mention earlier in the threads to do the obvious things that you mentioned before putting the motor in. Honestly, I know some folks will be stretched thin just with the purchase price of the kit and with the full swap, but nonetheless, the areas you addressed were addressed, and it's like "pay me now or pay me later". Everybody will gamble and hope they have stuff that will hold up from the swap. When you said you bought your swap for $2500, was that for a front clip? I am telling everybody that the front clip would be most economical instead of piecing things from here and there. The oil filter relocator kit can be put together for the 300ZX guys. The reason I put it in for the swap kit is due to the location of the stock oil filter point now residing over the custom subframe. There's no way to get around the oil filter relocator kit in the 240SX with VG. As was mentioned in a thread after you, the stock fuel tank in the 240sx is all the way aft and to the right of the car. Hence, nowhere to go with dual exhaust, at the moment. The only way around that is to ditch the OEM fuel tank and plumb in an internal fuel cell in the trunk area. Not too many people would be keen on that unless they were going for a track use vehicle. The idea is playing around in my head, but that won't be until next year. I was actually thinking of dual twin N1 coming down the center and exiting out through the center of the rear. As for why we went with dual BOV- we just wanted to. I've messed around with recirculating systems for SR and it comes down to some like them and some don't. If you have a design or something I can read, I'm all for looking at it and seeing how to incorporate it in the 240SX with VG. I appreciate anybody you know to come check out this post. Again, thanks for the candidness and we hope to see you in a 240SX with VG or a 300ZX with SR. I've seen the Z32 in Japan with SR20DET swaps. The advantage is in the weight reduction and the room gained and parts support for SR in Japan is more than VG. Other than that, I don't see SR making more power than VG.

180sxfaktory

240TweakerNewbee wrote:Call me wrong, but, for the money why not just throw a (I can't believe I'm going to say this) LS-1 in. Brand new in the crate $4k, 350hp/350tq, N/A, light, easy to get parts, reliable, very upgradeable.

That setup does look sweet though. Don't get me wrong, I am a complete Nissan head, I just wish they would come up with some serious displacement that is small and fairly modular for a reasonable price out of the box, not to mention not getting killed on true factory parts.

I'm an inch away from moving to France so I can get a job at the Nissan Corp facility in Trappes (I’ve seen job postings that I qualify for with my degree) just so I can slap the moron who thinks 1 CV axel for my 240 is worth $600 bran new, and every nut and bolt are worth $40 each.
Well, many have already treaded that path with LS-1, and not only in our camp. We see RX-7s running around with LS-1. VG30DETT "uncompromised" is new territory, and that's why we went that direction. Impossible or hard is only just an obstacle to get over, and we did. Nissan is Nissan, and their forte is with smaller displacement. GM was forever large displacement, but they have made huge inroads into the small displacement arena, as we have seen with ECOTEC. Nissan pricing for OEM parts- I don't even wanna go there, as you state, it's ridiculous.

greatgonzer

180sxfaktory wrote:
When you said you bought your swap for $2500, was that for a front clip? I am telling everybody that the front clip would be most economical instead of piecing things from here and there. VG.
Yes my whole front 1/2 cut of a 300zxTwinTurbo from Japan cost me $2500 from http://www.venus-auto.com. I would ONLY suggest getting a front clip. If you are trying to piece a working engine, intercooler setup then you WILL spend WAY too much money. Parts alone will kill bankrupt you. With a front clip like I purchased, you will get everything "used" that you will need to perform a swap (into an NA 300zx that is) along with the kit that 180SXfaktory is offering.

One question though, Can a 300zx subframe be modified to fit with the 240SX engine bay? Wouldn't that be an easier fit in the VG30DETT? Those subframes and 300zx driveshafts are plentiful in the junkyards.

Here is a pick of my front clip...

180sxfaktory

greatgonzer wrote:
Yes my whole front 1/2 cut of a 300zxTwinTurbo from Japan cost me $2500 from http://www.venus-auto.com. I would ONLY suggest getting a front clip. If you are trying to piece a working engine, intercooler setup then you WILL spend WAY too much money. Parts alone will kill bankrupt you. With a front clip like I purchased, you will get everything "used" that you will need to perform a swap (into an NA 300zx that is) along with the kit that 180SXfaktory is offering.

One question though, Can a 300zx subframe be modified to fit with the 240SX engine bay? Wouldn't that be an easier fit in the VG30DETT? Those subframes and 300zx driveshafts are plentiful in the junkyards.

Here is a pick of my front clip...
We tried the subframe, but it doesn't line up and the front sway bar is impacted. The driveshaft length is not the same. Yes, I wish it was that easy, but as I stated, this kit of ours makes it the first of its kind. That probably explains why there is so much excitement over this. Believe me, I never expected to see so much enthusiasm over it!

Florida240sx
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Waiting for my box truck to sell.... Goign to lower the price so I can get rid of it......

greatgonzer

Hey 180sx...does your $1500 price include the custom driveshaft? You cant do this swap without that correct? And you ARE advertising for a "clean swap". Just looking for clarification.

180sxfaktory

greatgonzer wrote:Hey 180sx...does your $1500 price include the custom driveshaft? You cant do this swap without that correct? And you ARE advertising for a "clean swap". Just looking for clarification.
No, it does not.

Clean means nothing canceled. Pictures being taken tonite. We've got the transmission out for clutch swap, so this allows me to get good pics of Y-pipe we got made, the back of the turbos, oil filter access port, etc. It's been busy lately.

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

Any new pics or up dates on when the kit will be available?

Malac0da13
Car: 1992 240sx Convertible

its on the website now...so i assume its available

Florida240sx
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Bump... Got a vg30dett front clip coming in next month for me Still tryign to fins a place to work on the swap though...

kouki munster

Lol, I have a place to do the swap but I'm sill trying to get the money together to get the swap kit, motor, and all the other needed parts.

Florida240sx
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I got enough for the kit....if my truck sells thne I have enough for the engine and misc..f not then I got to wait a month for my front clip to arrive anywayz so I will just not eat and have the money

180sxfaktory

Florida240sx wrote:I got enough for the kit....if my truck sells thne I have enough for the engine and misc..f not then I got to wait a month for my front clip to arrive anywayz so I will just not eat and have the money
Hello again! Man, I don't want you guys giving up eating... That just sux!

180sxfaktory

I really appreciate the group's enthusiasm on this swap and I tell you, everybody here that is involved in it is excited about this kit's release and your love for this car.

Because we have Ramadan coming up this Sunday, things will slow down a bit. Everyday for approximately a month (time of the new moon cycle), devout Muslims will follow the practice of fasting and abstaining from even drinking water from the time the sun comes up until the sun sets. Believe me, the practice will drain you and "normal" life practices such as eating, drinking and recharging the body can only take place in the evening after "Iftar" (partaking in the first meal after prayer). This means my operations will have to adjust to evening hours because I simply cannot get anything done in the daytime. I must honor and respect this practice.

This works in favor of those of you who want the kit, but need to source the funds, swap, essential parts, etc. I will release the kit after Ramadan ends next month.

A few have asked of video of the car in action. We will be filming the car during drift and drag sessions in the evening at Bahrain International Circuit. The car right now is undergoing a clutch swap and a 5-lug conversion, Z32 brake conversion which started last nite. I want to document everything and present it to you so that you can see and judge for yourself how this car operates prior to releasing the kit. This video will be released within the next two weeks.

A few of you may be disappointed, but please don't be. Those of you who truly want this kit, please write to me at [email protected] and I will knock $100 off the list price in observance of Ramadan (Ramadan also includes observance of giving people a break and helping others) and will include laminates. As I stated earlier, USA owners will get free shipping if they state they are NICO members (include your handle). In total, you will save $225 which will allow you to use that money for other things like eating

Thanks for your understanding. Ma'asalama!

tjmhillz
Car: 2001 Turbo Lexus IS300

thank you for the update... dat gives me a lil more time to save some money lol...

kouki munster

Florida240sx wrote:I got enough for the kit....if my truck sells thne I have enough for the engine and misc..f not then I got to wait a month for my front clip to arrive anywayz so I will just not eat and have the money
Lol I'm trying to sell my truck (and my kouki) to finance the swap to.

180sxfaktory, check email.

evan86
Car: 1990 240sx, 1996 300zx twin turbo

My funds are ready. You have been emailed. Good luck with everything over the next month!

180sxfaktory

Thanks for understanding.

180sxfaktory

We have drifting at Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) every nite during Ramadan. Tonite, I brought Black Sunshine, the 180SX to the course. Blew a heater hose, fixed it by cancelling the line at the block and got one more run in. VG240SX will be debuting next week. Video will be taken of the runs as proof this torque machine is every bit as lethal as I've stated earlier. Salah, the real owner of the car, will be putting the car through the paces. He was busy familiarizing himself with the course in his 350Z, as I was in my 180SX. Salman, another hot local in his S14 (the only S14 in the country) 2J single T78 was just lighting them up. A phenomenal driver! It was a great release after forgoing eating and drinking and abstaining from other things all day. The drift circuit is one good benefit of Ramadan, and we're thankful to the owners of BIC (remember, I said Ramadan is also about giving back to the people and being kind and helping others) who have set this up for us to work out the demons! Remember, please send me an e-mail with your NICO handle so that I can put you on the reservation list for the VG30DETT swap kit. So far, I have three guys who are on it. A week before I release it, i will e-mail those who have written to me to confirm.

Shukran (Thank you) for your patience and kindness! Ramadan Kareem (Happy Ramadan)! Ma'asalama (see you later)!

greatgonzer

180sxfaktory wrote:Those of you who truly want this kit, please write to me at [email protected] and I will knock $100 off the list price in observance of Ramadan (Ramadan also includes observance of giving people a break and helping others) !
Instead of knocking off $100 why don't you throw in free driveshafts!!!! That would help out much better!!!

180sxfaktory

I do not have a balancer and driveshafts are more than $100.00. I have all my shafts made by Drive Shaft Shop in NC. To include a drive shaft would drive up the cost. Do you have a 240SX yet?

Return to “Hybrids”