VG30DETT in '91 S13

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
RMiller
Car: BBQing

I'm buying a '91 S13 in about a month from a friend, and since the lease on my other car doesn't end until April next year, I've decided to make this a project. It's an auto, so that has to go, and I always assumed I would turbo the stock KA. Unfortunately for me, local cops are really cracking down on non-legal engine exhausts, etc. and with a turbo I'd be pretty screwed. Then I remembered that you can swap an engine of the car's year or newer into it as long as it's the same make. So then I thought about the VG30DETT (couldn't help it). I wouldn't even consider, except: 1. This summer will bring in over $10K, 2. I have a chill job set up for my next school year ($600 net/mo. part time), and 3. I only have 5 classes left to graduate so I'm part time all next year (tons of time). Oh and I'm gonna waste the money on car stuff either way.Add to that the fact that I have access to an engine hoist, mechanic friends, air tools, etc. and I feel like God is begging me to undertake this project. I know most people on here don't know much about this particular swap, but if you happen to have links to info I can use that'd be great. Also, give me your honest opinions, if you have any, of the time and money required to finish this potential project. Like I said, though, I think I pretty much have the resources.I appreciate those who took the time read and respond.

-Ryan

RMiller
Car: BBQing

Alright, so I searched the 240sx section and finally found some results from a thread in April that answered some of my questions/concerns. Well, if anyone has any additional information, that'd be great, because I'm going to start the project mid-summer (God be with me).

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

this is one of those often talked about, never done things. the motor is huge and the bay isn't nearly big enough for a comfortable swap (but then what bay is for the VG30DETT?), and of the probably 30 people i've heard talk about it, not one has done it. good luck though if you do and keep us posted!

turbo300

it fits , a few have done it.

if ya have any questions, ill try to answer them

turbo300

custom motor/tranny mounts and exhaust manifolds are needed.

ive heard that there is an oem(nissan) motor mount that might work in this application......anybody know which its is?

Myrkur
Car: music, computers

My dad brought up the idea of doing this swap in my '93 last night and it got me to really thinking and looking.. I've probably read the equivalent of hundreds of pages of text.. most if it crap, but there's also been some useful information. Some sources say that you have to custom fab the mounts, but i did find one source that says the mounts from the ZX will do just fine. it also says that you need to raise the hood four inches and modify the brake booster, but from the pic posted by Turbo, i looks like the engine will clear.. though, now that i think about it, maybe once the engine is mounted it is higher than that test fit shows.. who knows.. but once i get a second vehicle (most likely an '82 Suzuki) and some spare cash, i hope to make a 300SX SE TT. ;)

turbo300

in that pic, the bottom of the motor mount bolt is about an inch away from the hole in the xmember. there is plenty of room.i was not able to use the 300zx xmember in the s13 (in the pic, i had the 300zx xmember installed, just didnt work out) heres a pic showing the booster clearance.

turbo300

here is a pic comparing the two crossmembers,notice the diffrence between the steering joint angles, the motor mount bases and xmember mounting holes

KaZ (VaBch)

not worth it... you'll hate working on a VG too... trust me, I do it for extra cash. The VG30DE is a clusterfark of a motor to work on. Get an SR20DET and be happy with it.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”