VG30DET (from a Y33 Front clip)?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Tgvince
Car: MTB Riding, tinkering in the garage on various car projects.

Ive looked around a little bit here...Havent found what im looking for. Can anyone point in a direction to where i can get specific info on the DET out of a 98 Gloria? Thanks in advance guys!

Terry97Q4592 Classic SE-R W Boost

Looking at the fesability of swapping the VG30DET into my 97 Q45...Boost baby...BOOST!

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

what kind of info do you need?

it has a single ceramic turbo, and a single TB.

same internals as VG30DETT.

turbo is located on the drivers side (of an american car), so your main issue will be clearance with PS rack, and various AC hoses, lines.

a custom manifold job could sort this out, by placing the turbo on the other side.

99% of the electronics are identical to TT, except there is obviously only going to be 1 one the DET.

since this is a post OBD-II engine, i would imagine that you will want ALL the wiring harnesses and the ECU to come with the engine. (not easy to work with the 96+ systems)

good news is that your current trans core should work.

Tgvince

Thanks for the info...As for the Tranny i was hoping to use the 5spd auto that is included with the clip. Of course that may require a custom drive shaft...but theres no way the stock Q tranny will hold the extra power of the turbo engine. Theres also conflicting info on this engine im trying to find a firm answer...part of the info says its a VG then others say its a VQ....Any insight on the above info would be much appreciated!

Terry

Eswift

got pics? that will make it much easier.

VQ - as far as i know, its used mostly on AWD and FWD vehicles, alrhough there are 1 or 2 JDM models that use it in RWD setup, along with the remaining r34 skylines, in 3.5L, TT form.

VG- as far as i know only rear, except for certain pathfinders and variants with the old 4wd system.

stock Q trans is same as TT z32, should be good for 350HP no problem, and unless you are looking at a turbo upgrade its no problem, since that engine is rated right around 300.

Eswift

here is a vQ30DET

Eswift

here is the JDM VG, the DET has an additional aluminum side plenum that has a "ceramic turbo" placard on it

Tgvince

Thanks Eswift thats the one im looking at....So whats the difference between the VG and that VQ? Is it unrealistic to look for 300-340 WHP out of one with a stock bottom?That pic of the VQ is identical to my 97 Q45 under hood except the placement of the brake MC and ABS are switched.

Terry

Tgvince

PS my tranny is tired and the rebuild to handle a turbo upgrade is in the stratosphere...about 6K to put a number on it. Thats why im intriguied by the 5spd auto....I wouldnt be surprized if its the tranny used in the 02 Q45

Terry

Eswift

Tgvince wrote:Thanks Eswift thats the one im looking at....So whats the difference between the VG and that VQ? Is it unrealistic to look for 300-340 WHP out of one with a stock bottom?That pic of the VQ is identical to my 97 Q45 under hood except the placement of the brake MC and ABS are switched.

Terry

VG has an iron block, VQ is all aluminum.

VG's can handle 550 HP very reliably will the stock internals (theyre all forged and shot-peened) some claim 600, but bearings will spin so much more readily, i dont consider it feasible. 300-340 range is even "ok" for an NA VG30DE.

about stock VQ internals, i am not sure.

so heres a 97 Q, i assume yours is similar:

looks like the VH is wider than that VQ, so im sure the blocks and heads will fit fine, with some custom mounts, but i still would be worried about the turbo placement...dont be suprised if you need to make some custom SS manifolds to get stuff to fit around the PS rack and column.

as far as the 5 speed goes, i cant agree more, not a good idea to push a tired nissan auto....they just give up.

Und3rprshUr
Car: My 300Z

I know a guy selling a vg30det- let me know if your still interested.

Tgvince

The pic in that link is exactly like my Q. Fabrication isnt a worry...I just need to do more research for engine management Im sure the ECUs are on the front clip but as we all know the Jspec programing is suited toward there gas...not our ****ty 91 oct. I fugured if the rating on the VQ is the 280 like they say then a bigger exhaust, cleaned up manifold and turbine 300-320 Engine HP isnt out of the question. So anyhow...ive got to do some more leg work before i fill up half my garage with a front clip:).

Thanks guys!

Terry

Eswift

good luck, let us know how it goes

Tgvince

Oh i will....I just cross posted to Infiniti General to see if Anyone else has ever looked into this.

Terry

DeltaSteve
Car: putting RB25det in S14a

[quote=" Eswift

VG- as far as i know only rear, except for certain pathfinders and variants with the old 4wd system.

[/quote]

the VG was in the Maxima for a very long time, and that was FWD

Eswift

yeah, that was in single cam E form i believe, youre right, i forgot about the ole' "4 door sports car" with the computer voice that talks back to you....such a classic

Porschephile
Car: '98 Maxima

Theses engines came in the following Nissans:

VG30det - F31 Leopard, Y31 Cima, Y32 Cedric/Gloria/CimaVQ30det - Y33 Leopard, Y33 Cedric/Gloria/Cima, Y34 Cedric/Gloria

Another great thing about the Vg30det is it comes with 550cc injectors stock! That's nice because if you're only looking for around 300-400hp then that's one less thing to worry about.

Stock the Vg30det has 255hp and 255lb/ft torque. Also, the tranny bolt pattern is identical to the Vg30e and Vg30de/dett's. So, you could use a z32 tranny. One thing that might be helpful for you to know Tgvince, is you could probably use the J30 tranny and have less work. The j30 is a 4dr, uses the Vg30de and is RWD + auto. Also, the Vg30det has Nissan's variable timing (VTC).

From researching the Vg30det, I found one really helpful piece of info. The det came with a few different turbos. It had 1 or 2 different ceramic wheel turbos and a steel wheel turbo. If you can, get one with the steel wheel turbo since it can handle more boost. I read somewhere that it can handle around 16-17psi max provided you have the proper fuel/air, etc.

As far as more info about the Vg30det, I'd check skylinesdownunder.com They have some info, but it's usually directed more at the turbo from the Det rather than the engine itself (that turbo is a popular upgrade for Rb's). Other than that I've just wandered through tons of sites on google.

Tgvince

Porschephile, It looks like the VQ would be the way to go for ease of swap. Im still doing research to figure out if i want to tackle yet another project. Thanks!

Terry

Porschephile

The VQ30det is an awesome motor. Though, it's going to be hard to source and expensive. The vg30det is much easier to come by and usually cheap, which I still don't understand. Must be because it's overshadowed by it's bigger brother, the dett.

I'm planning on going with a Vg30det for my '91 Maxima. Luckily it has the same identical bolt pattern as the Vg30e, so it will bolt right up to my tranny (I need a vg30de z32 clutch/flywheel). It's a far more capable engine than the vg30et option everyone usually turns to for 3rd gen Maximas. On top of that, it's not physically that much bigger so it is most likely going to fit pretty well after minor cutting of the hood supports.

Tgvince

I already found a VQ30DET complete front clip for about 2100 shipped:).

Terry

Porschephile

Nice! Just curious but, do you mind saying where you found it?

Eswift

555's in the vg30det? then why only 370's in the tt?

Porschephile

They are 550cc's. Beats me. I don't understand that either but, hey it's a plus if you are planning on using the det for anything. One less thing to upgrade.

Eswift

yeah definitley. I guess it makes sense, especially if the DET was designed after the TT, since nissan probably had realized by that point that all of the turbo supras and such already had 555's stock.

also very interesting about the turbine materials, possibly a bad deisgn, maybe ahead of its time? from a material science point of view, a ceramic turbine wheel should be able to handle higher temps, so you would think it would be able to handle boost better, ....but there is always a risk of embrittlement.

very interesting, since i had only seen DET's with the "ceramic turbo" placard.

would be interesting to see if the ceramic ones came after or before the steel.

i bet the ceramic came first, and they backed it up to steel.

meggala

I think the ceramics came later saw one up close and it was ceramic your correct it bolts up to the vg30e rwd trans becareful of one thing they are much bigger than the vg30e and quite a bit more stuff hangin off the back of the head. I doubt they ahve teh 550's stock as the afm is the smaller type off the r31,a31 at least on the vg 30 I saw up close a beautifol motor though I I will put one in my manual gloria one day. we had issue with the motor not fitting and the owner went abit soft at the thought of cutting so the project was abandonded.meggala

Porschephile

Well, everyone I have talked to has always said the vg30det has 550cc injectors. I even saw it on a few spec sheets on some Japanese websites.

Thanks for the information. I was figuring that some cutting and welding would be involved for my application of the det. I know I can make it fit, my only problem is that the space I have to work with in my engine bay might require me to remove some, if not all of the accessories. I'd really like to at least keep the AC because it's my daily driver but I won't be sure until I have the engine.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”