VG30DE swap?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
SunnyTk
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

I want to swap my VG30e out of my pathfinder and put a vg30de or tt from a z32 300zx in.I was just wondering? would the flywheel from the motor work with my clutch and tranny?

i figured that i would need different exhust manifolds to clear the axles

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Off hand, I don't believe it will work too well. Of the two, you would definitely need to use the VG30DETT flywheel as it is a 250mm setup like the Pathfinder.

The problem is the ring gear on the flywheel will likely be in a different position compared to the Pathfinder's flywheel as the starter is positioned next to the block whereas the DE(TT) starter mounts next to the transmission.

Now, if the starter won't mesh correctly with that setup there's a possibility that you could use the front case/bell housing from a TT transmission and mount it to the Pathfinder's transmission. They are actually the same model, FS5R30A, so there's a possibility you can put the two together. From there you will need to make sure the TT starter will clear the transmission tunnel. It might take a little bit of hammer work to make it fit so if that's the case make sure there's nothing that will get hit on the inside... like say the heater core.

Reason you're asking is because it is 4WD, correct? Otherwise, I'd just throw in the DE(TT) 5-speed.

SunnyTk

Ya i was reading some swap info in the Z31 forums, and some issues with the vg30de/tt is that it weighs too much compared to the vg30et and its not as reliable as the vg30et either, so since the vg30e in the pathfinder and the vg30et are both 80's designed engines, i have now changed my plans and think im just going to swap in the turbo exhuast manifold and turbo from a z31. The z31 people said that the pathfinders intake manifold is much more highflowing and the basic engines are the same except for the pistons. So thats the route im going with.

Thanks for the info :D

oh another thing (major thing) i dont think i have the VG30E. i might have the VG30I apparently? so how hard would it be to swap over the injectors and intake manifold from a fuel injected vg30e to an vg30i? and would i need a new ecu? and would it be easier to just swap in a vg30e?

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Good choice, I love the VG30E.

The VG30i is the same engine as the rest of the VG30's, but with a different intake manifold and has throttle body injection. You'll need the upper and lower intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, wiring harness, and ECU from a VG30E(T). I believe that should be it as far as parts needed. If you go with the later Hardbody/Pathfinder intake manifold you'll possibly need the distributor and driver's side valve cover as well (valve cover only needed if the distributor is needed and only if the newer distributor doesn't clear the current valve cover).

Now, I hear that the truck/Pathfinder engine bay is somewhat tight so you'll want to verify that the manifolds will fit. One problem I foresee right away is the turbo placement. On a Z31 Turbo the cross member is slightly different to relocated the driver's side motor mount. This gives clearance for the turbo. So... you'll likely either have to do a custom/relocated motor mount or a custom driver's side manifold to relocate the turbo itself.

That's all I can think of off hand. Hopefully will be enough to get you started.

SunnyTk

Thanks again! You helped out soo much!

Theres a z31 at the scrap yard but I took a look in the engine bay and it looks like the turbo is mounted high enough to clear everything. I havent actually taken it out the scrap yard yet though, havent got the money right now, but I will be on it when I sell my maxima!

Theres also 2 91-95 pathfinders theres that hasent been touched, soo if the turbo, exhust manifold manifold, injectors and ecu isnt already taken from the z31, I can atleast do a direct port injector swap lol

oh also I hear that the wiring harness from a z31 wont exactly match up to some of the sensors on a pathfinder?

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

I would think most of the sensors would stay the same between the two engines. I can't really think of any that would be different off hand but they are easy to swap. The Z31 should have a detonation sensor while the Pathfinder won't likely have it so I would grab that.

There aren't really that many sensors so you could grab them off of the parts car if needed. I did forget that you will want the MAF as they are probably different. So all of the sensors I can think of off hand are:

MAFOil pressureKnock sensor (only on the Turbo Z if I remember correctly)Coolant Temp (cylinder head temperature sensor, CHTS)Cam/crank angle sensor (this is in the distributor itself and are very likely the same)Throttle position sensorO2 sensor (there are two different types from what I recall, a small bodied sensor and a large bodied sensor. I believe they will have the large body sensor and if so will work between models but if one is large and the other small, you'll need to swap.)

SunnyTk

Sorry for the late update... I am in the mids of purchasing a 88 300zx turbo, im not too sure I want to though.

But anyways, I went back to the scrap yard on friday, and both cars were gone... soo far, all i have is a maf and upper intake and such.

And to make matters worse, my pathfinder stalls once in a while when I put it into drive. This seems to go away once the car is fully warmed up. I think its a vacuum leak becuase there is a hissing sound coming from top of the engine, and it doesnt sound like the clutch fan, but it could just be the vacuum from the carb running? (I never dealt with a carbed motor before)

So it looks like im just going to stay with my original carb setup, but I was wondering if I threw on a Z31 turbo setup with a custom charge pipe and turbo elbow, if it would be able to run properly?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the Z31 turbo is int he way of the engine mount, you'd have to run custom fabbed manifolds to relocate the turbo

vg30ethardbody
Car: 1993 nissan hardbody

customfab motormounts? yeah um ok. look dude cut off the factory driverside mount take both the mounts from the z flip them end to end bolt 1 to the front of the block on the driverside weld the other to the frame. anything you wanna know about the vg30et pickup/pathfinder swap ask me

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”