VG30DE converted to VG30DETT?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
petebra11
Car: 1991 300zx NA

I have searched for this, and to my shallow scrounging, I have found nothing on doing a swap/conversion from a Z32 VG30DE to a TT.

My engine knowledge is scarce, but my questions are as follows:

What would I need? Can I run it on stock internals? Or would I need to be replacing some stuff, or even the whole engine all together?

Would there be any transmission changes, in terms of mounts? Or will it end up the same. Which sort of goes in hand with some drive shaft stuff, being custom or what?

How much am I looking at? If I need to replace the whole engine? Or would it just be some headers, cam, injectors, pump, etc etc.

I'm really looking to make my 2+2 a TT, but am unsure how to do it. Thanks alot.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Well, for starters, the compression ratio on the N/A is way too high to turbo with stock internals. The wrist pins are also too weak to take the strain of a sustained boosting engine.

And as far as the tranny goes, it should mount up with a little bit of grinding. Driveshafts match.

It's almost just as cheap to buy a TT front clip and swap the engines if you're gonna be doing all the work yourself.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Actually, i just reread your post, and the 2+2 is a longer frame than the coupe, so you would have to use your 2+2 driveshaft, if there was any confusion.

datsunscom

Wrist pins? Grinding on the tranny? Here's what you need to know for DE / DETT conversion: http://www.twinturbo.net/net/v...99268

Dave Lumhttp://www.datsuns.com

petebra11

Okay read it all (THANK YOU) but I have a few more questions.

At least for right now, until I work out the numbers on how much this will cost in parts as opposed to buying a clip, this is what I want to do.

But when I buy these parts, what should I upgrade to get just a little more life out of my 150k mile engine? Like Cams, Lifters, etc etc. Not including the things I will already be replacing, like pistons, oil pump, probably injectors and fuel pump.

Should I get a newer NA tranny? (To match with the NA rear drivetrain of course, only to replace my old, loose, desynced one)

Thanks Nico

petebra11

And sorry to double up on my post, but would switching to a VH45 or 41 be better? Aside from the $3k turbo package (Which I would probably spend on a turbo package for my lacking NA)

Like: buying a cheap Q45 (About $800 asking prices around here) and a turbo pack, splice my own harnesses, and get a tuned ECU. Or do I go with the VG30 turbo conversion.

And sort of a pro/con on both, because I read a lot of pros and cons, but not in comparison to another engine.

Thanks!

synergy
Car: s14 rb25 s1

Honestly. Just do a dett swap. From the sounds of it you have never rebuilt an engine and on your own soon to be turboed car is not a good place to learn. Buy a dett clip swap the whole engine and harness and be done with it.

ZxCalibr

prob a dead horse here, but its PAINFULL to read.just because u buy the clip doesnt mean its pain free. rebuilding a NA motor+install will be just a bit cheaper than buying a clip and simply swapping motor and parts.(this does NOT include reworking the used clip engine, rebuilding/replacing stock turbos, 120k etc) as for the other motor options u are considering, u are talkin custom Fabrication. thats never cheap, especially with these cars. the NA engine IS high compression, but still can be boosted with a marginal amount of psi(4-6psi max) and a boost creep can kill ur engine without too much work(which is y its not suggested to turbo a NA engine)the hardest part of a TT swap without a clip would be coming up and figuring out the IC hoses/lines and mounting positions/brackets locations.U would be looking at 2500 for the clip another 750 to maintain the clip engine and service any lines/hose that need to be replaced n suchpending everything is in working order, u pull n replace/add. if ur not doing this part expect to pay close to 1250+ just in labor.if u jave skils, buy the IC piping/hose for about 500-750, buy a TT motor with blown turbos or head gasket(sumting easily fixable while engine is out)for about 1100 buy your 500+whp kit(2750) replacement parts(750)<.your already in the 5.5k range and havent cleaned up your engine bay or provided any labor. expect as said b4 1250+ in labor costs. OR send ur car to Z1 or concept Z and have them do ALL of it minus the upgrade package for roughly 9k.

or simply cheap out and buy clip, swap parts for about 4k. have fun if anything goes wrong though.(cracked manifolds, leeaking injectors, vacuum leaks etc)

petebra11

Thanks, that helps a lot actually.With the other engines, I'm willing to do custom fab on my own. I have a neighbor who can do it too. If my skills aren't up to par, his are.

But at this point, my NA is somewhere on the brink of death. Previous owner didnt give the best of care when he swapped the NA of a roller into this, so I figure instead of paying to get it up to perfect again (Tranny is shot, too), I can get a moderately used VH or VQ and chance it on the fab.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”