VG30+T56

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
sns00
Car: 1994 Z32 TT
2006 Kawi ZN1
1994 Ram 2500 5.9L TD

Helloz,

I'll be in the market for a MT trans soon and need to know if anyone can share some info about putting a T56 behind a VG30DETT.

Found a few small companies that make a adapter bell housing and crossmember, most of the kits use Driveshaft Shop shaft, however, no info regarding the flywheel, clutch, slave/master cylinder, clearance to exhaust@cats/test pipes.
Depending on the size of the T56, I'll order my test pipes, either SZ or Z1 because the sensor orientation.

So far, the companies I've found are:

https://merlinmachining.com/

https://www.grannasracing.com/collectio ... -swap-kits (I noticed is for a Supra engine, if it can be done for a 2JZ, it can be done for a VG30 IMO; their kit use Quick Time bell housings)

Then, theres LOJ Kits, sent an email; and Mazwork, waiting on the others to reply. :shifter:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've never seen it done, but I'm curious to see if it would actually work well. I imagine it can be done, I'm just wondering how much work it would take.

sns00
Car: 1994 Z32 TT
2006 Kawi ZN1
1994 Ram 2500 5.9L TD

Oh, its been done, even on a Z32 2JZ swap.

LOJ Kits can put the kits together, but they want an order of 10 kits minimum.

Grannas Racing makes a complete swap kit, including a new T56 Magnum for a Z32 2JZ; not clear if he can put one together for a VG30.
Merlin Machining makes a T56 Magnum mounting kit: bellhousing for a VG30, crossmember and pilot bearing.

Either route will take about 6k to complete with a new trans, thats without labor if you decide to pay someone to do the swap.

The clutch release mechanism has to be replaced by a center hydraulic release bearing; the stock pilot bearing wont work with the T56 either. Stock cross memeber wont work with T56, it sits lower than the FR5R30A; also a driveshaft has to be made for the swap.

Theres a video of Merlin Machining on the road with a T56; another video with two Z32 with the swap done, not running.
It cost a pretty penny, cheaper than a PPG set, however, IMHO the PPG will be a better option on the long run if your Z is more of a track monster than a dual purpose vehicle.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”