vg swap question

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
oceanstate altima
Car: 94 altima gxe, 90 z32 n/a

sorry i kno this is a noob question, but other than cams and ECU what r the differences between the maxima and 300zx engine. And how easily would a maxima engine fit in a n/a 300zx? Is it a basic swap or what? And can I put Z cams in the max motor?

sorry for being a dumbass...

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Actually nothing is really the same between them besides the engine code if you're talking about the 89-94 Maximas with the VG. The Maxima came with the VG30E while the 90-96 300ZX's had the VG30DE and VG30DETT.

Nothing is really the same between them... you can swap the rods and pistons but the pistons will give you a different compression ratio than what is listed for the VG30DE(TT) due to combustion chamber differences.

Some ask about swapping DE heads onto the E, but the DE(TT) heads are bolted on with 8 head bolts per head while the VG30E(T) has 13 per head. Doing the timing belt setup would also be a nightmare.

The 92-94 Maxima's came with the VE30DE, which is actually more similar to the VG30DE than the VG30E. It uses the same rods and has a forged, 8 bolt crank (where the flywheel/flexplate bolts to). The heads are pretty different though as Nissan needed a smaller engine to fit into the Maxima. The heads are quite a bit smaller than the VG30DE's and as far as swapping cams, likely wouldn't work nor would it be an upgrade.

The VE30DE and VG30DE ecu's are very similar though. I know of a guy that is currently working on getting a 300ZX ecu setup to work with the VE30DE Maxima.

As far as swapping a Maxima engine into a Z... I've actually always wanted to put a VG30E into one with a turbo setup. Its lighter, still incredibly strong, and much more compact. Would make for one fun Z. The only thing that would be missed would be the VVT... but with some boost it wouldn't be too badly missed.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”