very technical question about what l.s.d i need and.......

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ESPER

i am going to shop around this weekend for a stock l.s.d for my 95 s14 se and when i called them about whether or not they have it they told me that they dont keep inventory but do have basic prices heres some info they asked that i wasnt sure of, and i would like to know the following facts please:

whtether the lsd was :1. rotor to rotor2. drum to drum3. axle to axle

also, if i were to find one, i would have to remove myself. what tools would i need to accomplish this and what should i look for in picking an l.s.d in case there a multiples. and lstly any tips are appreciated!! thanks in advance to all who help!!

ESPER

most importantly HOW do i remove the l.s.d? what parts exactly do i need for my open differential?? thanks again!!

PabloHoney

Ok, if you are shopping for an LSD what kind are you looking for? If you are going with a stock one from a Nissan, then it is just a direct bolt in, depending on what it comes out of. If you want that info, just ask, there are a few models in came in that will fit in your car. If you want to buy an aftermarket LSD, you might as well get a KAAZ or Quaife. Depending on what you are using your car for (auto-x, drag, etc..) you probably won't want to spend that much money (around $900). You can pick up a used VLSD from a salvage yard for around $300.

ESPER

well for now i just want the vlsd, but if i cant find a good one i'll jsut get kaaz, whats the difference anyway?? but yeah again, if someone could please help me, i woould like to know what tools i should bring with me to the junkyard and how to tell if the lsd is good or bad. any other tips are appreciated!!

PabloHoney

If you just want to take the whole rear diff housing out, you will need an assortment of wrenches. Easiest way to find out: go look at your diff on your car now, and check sizes and accessibilty of all the bolts there because they are the same ones that are used on the LSD. As far as checking to see if it's good, it's hard to tell just by looking at it. Easy way would be to check the mileage on the car it's coming off of. Find one with the least amount as possible. The difference between a VLSD and a mechanical one (like a KAAZ or Quaife) is that a VLSD (viscous LSD) uses clutch packs so engage the diff, where the mechanical ones use gears. The clutch packs will EVENTUALLY wear out, but it takes a while.

illusion

actually... a VLSD uses a fluid between plates much like the torque-converter in an auto... most mechanical LSD's are clutch type... accept hellical / torsen type diffs....

Jeff

Two-Forty

I have a 89 240sx HB and I was wonderin if it has lsd, and if it doesn't is it simple bolt-on if I decide to have one installed? or will I need to customize the rear suspension.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

illusion is right, the mechanichal LSD uses clutch packs(usually), thats why they wear out, VLSD uses silicone fluid between two non-contacting parts , a VLSD is very hard to wear out because of this, and usually only ****ty maintanenece(incorrec fluid, etc) will break one.

from my understanding, none of the 1989-1991 240SX models had a LSD. I am trying to locate a new LSD with axles right now for my 1993 SE....

-chet

Two-Forty

I am thinkin of findin one in a junkyard and install it on my car, anyone have any idea what car/yr I can pick one off of that will fit nicely on a s13?

Exar-Kun

uh, any model s13 with a LSD should bolt up, if it has HICAS I think you need the output shafts...

-chet

Two-Forty

how do I know if I have HICAS, and thank you for you reply...now is there a certain nissan model I should look to get it installed? or certain year? and how do I tell if it's in good condition, I've read to find a car wid low miles but I mean it's physical condition.

Exar-Kun

as far as I know, HICAS was onyl avaiable on 1993+ 240sx models, with ABS and with a VLSD...(someone correct me if im wrong..)

as far as gettig one, just ask the junkyard guy I guess, when you get it, see if both output axles turn the same way when you only turn one, if the other axle turns the opposite direction, its an open differential.

-chet

R240NA

You can use any LSD out of an S13, S14, Z32 NA, or J30. Earlier J30s will require the axles as well, 95-up bolt in, while Z32s will need the S13/14 output shafts. 89-90 models never had the LSD option. Hicas was offered on 92-93 IIRC. If using an S14, J30, or Z32 in an S13, you'll need to swap rear covers and use a cup washer and spacer in the front mounting points. Removing it is simple, two large 17mm bolts at the front and two 17mm nuts secure it to the subframe. Four 14mm bolts hold the driveshaft on, and six 14mm bolts hold each axle on.

Two-Forty

thank you! I will go to the junkyard this weekend and hopefully everything works out, but I might need help again once I get it out and time for installation.!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”