Very Important Question regarding CVT Tranny Fluid

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mikriman

To make a long story short--My Tranny died on my 09 Rogue and at first Nissan said its covered under the 120K mile warranty--until they drained the Tranny Fluid. They claim it's RED and this is ATF Fluid which is obviously the wrong Fluid. I had Jiffey Lube change the Fluid last year and their records show on the receipt, "CVT Transmission Fluid".
My Question is: Do they make any CVT Fluid out there that's RED?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is going to cost me a lot of money. :ohno:

philipa_240sx

Nissan CVT fluid is golden in color like motor oil. At no time was it ever red.

Nissan is very explicit about using only their fluid as it's specifically engineered for their CVT's. The fluid is actually an integral part of the CVT's operation and was a major breakthrough in terms of CVT technology. Without the correct fluid, the CVT simply won't survive very long... If it even runs at all.

I'm sorry, but you're out of luck. Start looking for a used CVT transmission.

mikriman

Thanks Philipa, I cant believe Jiffey Lube put in the wrong Tranny Fluid-and has lasted an entire year with no issues--until now. All I can say is, "WOW", I'm so screwed to say the least.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Contact Jiffy Lube, if they really did put ATF in they owe you a new transmission. Although since it's been a year they might not do anything, they would probably assume that someone else tampered with it or put the wrong fluid in, etc.

philipa_240sx

Everything you need to know about Nissan CVT fluid:

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/documen ... _FINAL.pdf
WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE: Nissan CVT Fluid NS-2 is the ONLY approved fluid for use in Nissan CVT transmissions. A claim to Nissan for warranty, service contract, or goodwill repairs to the CVT or eCVT transmission may be denied if proper fluids are not used as specified in this bulletin.
Last edited by philipa_240sx on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Unfortunately Philipa_240sx is correct, it's a very black and white issue, you can only use the Nissan NS-2 type fluid, and no others (there are no other manufacturers that even make this fluid). Quick lube shops wouldn't even have access to this fluid so it amazes me that they would be that clueless about this significant fact about CVT tranny's.

My only advice would be to go back to Jiffy Lube and let them know that their actions directly caused your $4-5000 CVT tranny to be torn to pieces and that they must pay the cost of the bill. The fact that it's been around a year since the fluid was changed is irrelevant in my opinion - tranny fluid is changed very infrequently, sometimes only once in the life a vehicle so really 1 year is not a long time, it is obvious that the incorrect fluid caused the failure and they were directly responsible and very negligent. Give them a call and set up a time to meet with the manager, don't talk to anyone but the manager and/or owner and do it in person. If he's not cooperative just let him know that your lawyer will be contacting him next and he'll likely smarten up. Good luck.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

mikriman wrote:I cant believe Jiffey Lube put in the wrong Tranny Fluid
I can. This and other experiences are precisely why I never use them. Good luck with it.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Jiffy lub isn't a good place to get things done if you pay attention to the media.
From what I've heard about jiffy lub, I wouldn't be suprised if they reuse oil in cars.

MaxWARby

Mikriman! Did you find out, if jiffy lube will do something with this problem? My story exactly the same. Changet CVT fluid in jiffy lube, and transmission died 2 days ago. Nissan dealer states that fluid is red and it is wrong fluid in transmission, but paperwork from jiffy lube says they CTV fluid.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

You must insist that they cover the cost of a replacement CVT, plain and simple. Just calmly explain to them that their extreme negligence/error cost you a $4-5000 repair bill and they need to be accountable for their actions. If they are not cooperative, I'd recommend letting them know that your lawer will be contacting them and you will be foreced to settle this in court - I can assure you the owner of the Jiffy Lube will not be excited about fighting this in court because he surely realizes he cannot win the case and it will cost him much more in the long run compared to simply paying for the repairs up front. Jiffy Lube is clearly in the wrong here, you must be firm and ensure they are held accountable.

Return to “Rogue Forum”