? Versa Trouble Starting

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
reignsierra
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

I bought my 08 Versa 6 weeks ago. Today, after lunch i turned the key to start the ignition and the Versa had trouble starting. After work the same thing happened again.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm going to contact the dealer today, but I'm a bit worried that something so new already has an issue. Recall maybe?

-reignsierra

feloniousmonk

There is a TSB regarding the fuel pump. Search.

Also, try turning the key to the ON position, then wait a few seconds before starting. I've noticed with late model cars the fuel system needs to pressurize first before ignition.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

feloniousmonk wrote:There is a TSB regarding the fuel pump. Search.

I've noticed with late model cars the fuel system needs to pressurize first before ignition.
Never heard that before or noticed that before. Regarding the Versa, fuel pump. Replaced ours on our '08 under warranty with immediate action by the dealer.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

feloniousmonk wrote:Also, try turning the key to the ON position, then wait a few seconds before starting. I've noticed with late model cars the fuel system needs to pressurize first before ignition.
While there is disagreement whether or not this is true, my independent mechanic friend suggested that a fuel pump will last longer/will not wear out as fast if you do this. While I'm not sure about it, I took his advice after he replaced a fuel pump in my last vehicle. Fist pump lasted ~100,000 km before needed replacing; replacement lasted ~200,000 km plus and was still going when I dumped the vehicle. Maybe the first one was just faulty, but the theory seemed to be borne out.

I turn the key to the ON position, put my seat belt on, then start the car. fwiw.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

The TSB is for the fuel pressure regulator which holds pressure at a stop (or when your car is off) and thus maintains the pressure in the fuel system... if this goes (or fails to maintain pressure) then the fuel system needs to pressurize before the car can start. I was instructed to turn the Camel's ignition to on 2 or 3 times before trying to start it. I'm going to try just leaving it on 'on' before trying to start it to see if that works better...

br4dysays
Car: 06 Alti SE-R

KimberKenobi wrote:The TSB is for the fuel pressure regulator which holds pressure at a stop (or when your car is off) and thus maintains the pressure in the fuel system... if this goes (or fails to maintain pressure) then the fuel system needs to pressurize before the car can start. I was instructed to turn the Camel's ignition to on 2 or 3 times before trying to start it. I'm going to try just leaving it on 'on' before trying to start it to see if that works better...
i had my fuel pressure regulator changed around 16k a few weeks/months ago, just started all of a sudden having problems starting, not every time but most. since they replaced that under warranty i've been back to normal.

NOreasonY

I have had mine randomly take a little longer to start but its far and few between...but it does happen

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”