Versa SL and iPod connection

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
scottstachowiak
Car: 2007 Versa SL 6-speed

Has anyone actually found a way to connect the Apple iPod to the aux. input on the Versa SL stereo system?

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

I think you just plug it in... Actually.

Ben

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

All you have to have is an auxilary cable for your Ipod then it plugs in to the jack on the stereo. FYI-it wont control the Ipod.

scottstachowiak
Car: 2007 Versa SL 6-speed

I was looking for specifics from other Versa owners on where to find such a cable. I found one on Apple's website. The cable is made by Belkin. It's inexpensive. $20. If anyone else is looking for specifics, follow this link:http://store.apple.com/1-800-M...L%2FA

The Apple store also sells power cords that connect the iPod to the cigarette lighter, so you don't run down the iPod's battery.

voltronguy
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Super Black

Go to Radio Shack, WalMart, Target, etc. and get the same cable for <$5. You can probably even get it at a large grocery store. Unless you are an audio nut you don't need a special cable, and you certainly don't need an over priced Apple branded one.

Here are just a few choices:http://www.radioshack.com/fami...+plug
Modified by voltronguy at 1:43 PM 9/22/2006

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

I bought that same Belkin connector and it sounds better then the other one that I did buy at walmart. the cord is also thicker. I think the $20 i paid is worth it.

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

Shielding can make a difference. Also the way the connections are soldered and especially the strain releif that helps keep the connections from pulling loose over time.

There's still no reason for that cable to cost $20 though.

Ben

sngwrtr
Car: Nissan Versa

You can also get one at your local music store - Guitar Center, etc. The Belkin is on the high end of the scale. I found a cable in my studio that has decent shielding and will work. I remember the old days, when the wiring on many of the add-on 8-track decks (yes, 8 track) was fairly flimsy. Once in a while you would pick up engine noise when you used the 8-track. It sounded like static that rose and fell with the RPM's. Of course back then when you opened the engine compartment you could see the ground below you, you tuned a car by changing the plugs, points and adjusting the carbeurator, VW Beetles got great gas mileage at around 20mpg, and gas was 29 to 33 cents a gallon.

For those who do not yet have their Versa's or who are just reading through the threads, it is not really an iPod connection. It is simply an aux connection that runs from the headphone jack of compatible player to the aux connection of the radio to amplify the sound from the player. Now a days virtually everything has a mini jack for headphones - I have a Dell DJ20 - you could probably even use an original cassette Walkman if you have one.

simps984

I got mine at Best Buy, it plugs into your Ipods headphone jack. It was like $5. Works great! I had an FM transmitter from my previous car and I didn't get as good an effect on the Versa with it. I am very very pleased!

GizmoDVD
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

I got a small White wrie...maybe 8 inches that is perfect for my iPod to rest in the storage area above the Stereo...no long wire for me!

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

i got the belkin wire also and a car charger and sounds beter than the cd player.i velcroed the ipod next to the heater knob and looks great.only prob is the wires are hanging under the ipod so i pulled them straight down and tucked them under the side of the center cosole.

versa_fan

I just did some research on suitable cables and found a pretty good alternative.

You may also want to consider getting a cable that plugs into the docking port of the iPod, instead of the headphone port. (One end plug in to the auxiliary input, and the other end plugs into to the docking/charging port of the iPod.) Getting a cable like that bypasses the headphone amplifier in the iPod. This means that you can control the volume of the iPod from the car stereo, and do not need to independently control the volume on the iPod then adjust your car's system volume. This also means that you are using the car's stereo system, and not having to turn off any equalizer settings you may have on your iPod (mine is always set to the bass booster).

There are only two companies I know of that have this cable. One is CablesToGo, and the other one is SendStation (PocketDock Line Out). The PocketDock is a better solution to me, because the PocketDock plugs into the bottom of the iPod, and it splits the connection two ways -- one goes to the aux port, and the other is a USB plug (or Firewire, depending on which you buy) that can be used to plug into a charger so you can also charge your iPod at the same time.

Hope this helps.
scottstachowiak wrote:Has anyone actually found a way to connect the Apple iPod to the aux. input on the Versa SL stereo system?

Return to “Versa General Chat”