versa's airbag system

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Sahandman
Car: civic

hi,

I have a question regarding nissans air bag / seat belt system where the force of the load on the seat belt triggers the air bag. does this mean if lets say i sit in the car and whip the seat belt out hard and fast that the air bag will deploy? how does this work?

Julz
Car: 07 Nissan Versa

I'm not sure about that, but whatever you do...Don't unplug that "passenger airbag" light next to the radio, and turn the key forward...I was installing a system and the damn light in the cluster stays flashing no matter what I do....also I don't think the passenger airbag is "activated" anymore....

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Airbags rely on an accelerometer mounted somewhere solid. Once it sees a large enough g-force it deploys. That is why it does deploy with a 5-15 mph fender bender.

The seatbelt has nothing to do with it. The seatbelt locks up differently. There is a pendulum that swings forward to lock it. You can also lock it up going up & down very steep inclines.

Sahandman
Car: civic

no no no i know that,

but apprently on the nissan versa there is a new seat belt system that somehow detects the passengers wieght or load on the seat belt and adjust seat-belt deployment accordingly. If you go to the nissan website and read the area that talks about the seat-belt system you will see.

Heres what it says on the site"Nissan Advanced Airbag System* (AABS) includes dual-stage supplemental front airbags with seat belt sensors and an occupant classification sensor. When deployed, the inflation rate of these dual-stage airbags adjusts depending on crash severity and seat belt usage. If the front passenger seat is empty, a sensor will deactivate the airbag."So does this mean if i pull the seat belt out too hard or too fast the seat belt will deploy? or does the seat belt sense the wieght of the load and while during a crash the air bag deploys at a rate supportive of the weight the seat belt senseS? common sense tells me the second so thanks.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Sahandman wrote:or does the seat belt sense the wieght of the load and while during a crash the air bag deploys at a rate supportive of the weight the seat belt senseS? common sense tells me the second so thanks.
Yes, this is how it works. The airbag uses the seatbelt's sensors as well as sensors in the seat to determine if and how to deploy the airbag. Jerking the seatbelt hard and causing it to lock won't deploy the airbag, thouhg.

Return to “Versa General Chat”