Versa: Installing LEDs in the window switches.

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

How to install LEDs in your Versas window switches.

I took apart my armrests and looked at the circuit. I discovered that the passenger side has prewiring for LED lights, I purchased blue smt LEDS, resisters and 30 gauge wire and figured out with a multimeter the power source in the pc board and I now have illuminated passenger control buttons, I also changed the drivers side SMT's to blue. (Surface Mount LED)

Difficulty Level3 of 5 (The ability to solder is required)

Time Required 2-4 hours (Depending on how fast you work)

Tools Required

Wire, at least two rolls are recommendedDrillDrill BitsThe smallest flat head screwdriver you haveSoldering IronSolderMutlimeter(A test light might suffice)Dremmel, or small cut off wheelHot Glue Gun

Below is what I accomplished. Original color was amber.

Removal from the vehicle: This is the passenger side, drivers side is removed the same way. Use a flat screwdriver and pry gently at the edge.

Disconnect the wire from the switch:

This is the drivers side:

This is the passenger side

Below, these are the SMT LED's for the drivers side. (I marked it red arrow) All you need to do is swap out the old and in with the new blue SMT's. NOTE: Make sure you get the right polarities on the SMT's right, there is a small notch on the corner of the SMT that is the negative side. Just match it to way the original was soldered into the PC board.

Below the passenger side module:

Note: The power door lock switch on the driver and passenger side is only illuminated on one side (lock side) because of the design structure. there is a plastic rod right below the open logo that goes down to the circuit board, thus no light.Below you can see inside the power door switch, see the plastic rod...

I went to my local junk yard and found two armrests. I took out one of the plastic switches from the drivers side which has a clear window for the light to shine through, so I removed it from the drivers side and put it in the passenger side.

This is the passenger button which needs to be swapped out as there is no clear plastic.

And this is what I am looking for the drivers side button, from the junk yard.

After you remove the Switch from the door, you need to take it apart a little more as these next pictures show.

To remove the buttons, you need a tiny flat screwdriver and slowly press into the side: The next four pictures are from the back doors. The switches are removed the same way as the front doors.

As it's partly disconnected on one side, hold it there with your fingers and carefully push and twist the screwdriver in the middle and pull the switch outwards, it should pop out. Note: DO NOT FORCE IT you may damage the switch.

Below the one in the right is being replaced by the left one. Clear plastic.

These next two pictures show how the original PC board looked like (Passenger Side)

The electrical was delicate, but well worth it!!

I also did an alternate modification. If you can't get SMT LED's you can use regular 12v Hyper LEDS. As shown below:

Viola!Finished passenger side control!

These 12v Hyper LEDS are a bit brighter than the SMT LEDS with a 300 ohm resister, you can dim it more with a 600 or 900 ohm resister to match the brightness: Below is with a 300 ohm resister.

Below is with the blue SMT LED's. Passenger side is NOW illuminated whereas the original was not.

And now I have my rear door switches illuminated!!! Here are the steps.Removal is the same as the front doors;

Disconnect the wire using a small flat screwdriver push in & twist and pull out.

I used wire taps and wire coupler so if needed you can disconnect the whole thing without cutting the wires.

Below is the wire harness which we have to tap into the 12volt circuit.

Blue is positive +12v,Brown is negative -12v.

Now we have to work on the two back door switches, we need to remove it from the armrest:

Use a flat screwdriver to pry it up a bit

Now we have to take the switch apart

Inside of the switch

We now have to modify the switch casing

Use a Dremel tool

This is how it should look like after.

Now you need to drill a 3/16" hole for the LED> I had to carefully measure this hole with a digital caliper as it's very tight inside the rear door switches.

You may not need to do this part, but I put foil tape in the inside so the light will reflect upwards into the button.

Now to put in the LED. I used hot glue.

Reassemble the white switch and the black switch cover.

Solder the LED wires to the connector wire, I also used heat-shrink tubing it makes it look clean and neat.

Now tie-wrap that wire to the hole I made on the switch. It's as sturdy as can be, NO loose wires!

And now, connect all the connectors

Snap the whole thing to the door and you are done!!! All the door switches are lighted!!!

Originally written by Scuba Steve

zer...49234

Return to “Nissan Articles”