Versa in Snow

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
blanqui
Car: Nissan Versa SL

Hi there,After leasing Maximas for about 15 years, went in to get a new car as my lease was up and fell in love with the Versa-both husband and salesman thought I was crazy. I was tired of high gas prices and thought the car was the cutest. Went out for a test drive and both my husband and I liked it. My husband is 6"3 and fits very comfortable in the car. We decided to buy the car instead of leasing. Bought the Versa 2009 SL with the works. We live in Jersey and would like to hear from those that have driven their Versa in the snow. It'll be my first winter in a very long time driving a small car (my other small was the 200sx year ago). Thanks for the feedback. B

IMHungry
Car: 2008 Versa SL H/B cvt, sport, tech (mine)/2007 Versa S H/B, VOP, 4 spd auto (hers)

4 snows, no problem!

1_Sleek_Versa
Car: 08 Nissan versa SL

Hi,

Here in Quebec we get many 16+ inches snowstorms. This is my first winter with mine. I had the chance last week to drive it in 9 inches of snow and also very icy roads.

In the snow the car was awesome. It plowed. On ice I just absolutely loved the way the ABS system worked. I just love this car. I was expecting the car to be dangerous in winter but no it's the greatest car I've had for winter.

Have fun.

07Vsdn
Car: 2007 Versa SL Sedan

i've only heard good things on the forum.

however, my wife hates her versa in the snow. but she's used to her previous jeeps (wrangler and cherokee) with 4WD...

Sonofasailor
Car: 2007 Versa SL HB CVT

I live in the middle of Canada where we get some snow. Sold my dog team and bought our first Versa about a month ago. I immediately put on 4 Pirelli Winter Ice Carving tires on steel wheels with cheap hubcaps. We have had freezing rain and snow now for the past 2 week and the wife has not complained once. Without a package policy an accident that is ruled to be your fault costs $700, that's what the new rubber and rims cost. It's a no brainer in this climate. ]

Sure_Shot
Car: 2008 Versa SL Tech 6speed

We get a ton of snow here too, though we haven't gotten that much this year so far. I put studded winter tires on my stock alloys (nismo rims for summer), and they have been great on the snowy/icy days we've had so far.

sarahp
Car: '09 Versa HB 6spd

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Versa does in snow. I went to Town Fair Tire today and had my weather tires put on... my sister-in-law gave us her winter tires that are only a year old from her Jetta that she sold... only 1 size taller than stock so they fit great! I'm forgetting what the tire company is... it's Weather (something) Magna Grip's. We'll see how it goes! We go up to Killington Vermont a couple times a month and Buffalo, New York every once in awhile so we should have some good tests coming up!

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I have yet to see any snow here. I want to see how the Versa drives in it. Until then, I'm enjoying 50-60 F degree sunny weather here.

TheClevelandSound
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Well here in Ohio we have already had a cum. of 20 inches. My dad just bought me Toyo Spectrums...so im set for the winter.

greggie195
Car: 09 Versa SL

Crazy stuff....my last car was a 94 Maxima and before that an 86 200SX. Odd that we had very similar cars. Now I have an 09 Versa as well!!! i have yet to drive in the snow but I doubt it would be worse than the rear wheel drive SX!!! I do spin my tires in the Versa quite often though, especially on any amount of sand. I hope this is not a sign of how it will handle in the snow. And I think we are due for a rough one in the northeast this winter!

J. Reid
Car: 2008 Versa S

Had a chance to drive my 08 S (automatic, no abs, stock tires) during the storm we had last weekend around Calgary, handled pretty nice, even on the hill into town (about 3km long that drops a couple hundred feet) which was a tad slippery. Only thing that bugged me on that drive (which was late at night) was the tunnel effect if the snow was blowing toward me, seemed to be more pronounced then with my old Neon.

grogman
Car: 2007 versa s hb at onyx blue

here's another scary thought. my versa was bought during labor day and i haven't driven it through snow yet. so we get 5 inches of snow last night and guess who has my car. yup........my girlfriend has it and i have no idea how this car handles. so i will report to you all if my car made it through this episode. i love my girlfriend but i hope my car comes home safe. out.

blanqui

greggie195----How funny! We both had the same cars. You are not kidding with the 200SX-loved the car-in the Summer time-it was hell in the snow. You're right, it can't be as bad as the 200SX.

Happy Thanksgiving,Blanqui

blanqui

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for the update. Here's to a safe winter with our Versa.

Blanqui

grogman

wew.........my girlfriend took care of gomez..........yup........i figured i'd better think of a name for the versa.........you never know when it's time to go.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

Hi,

This is my first winter too with my Versa SL (Hatchback). I just bought winter tires and winter rims at Canadian Tire. They were completely out of black winter rims (so was the dealer and every other store) so for the same price as the black steel rims I got sweet rims. All together, Hankook winter Tires and Sacchi rims, plus installation, balancing, and lifetime warranty the price was under $900 w/ taxes.

Check out http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3152621/2to see the winter tires and rims on the car!

Hope this helps.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

First good snowfall of the year [well, its still snowing] . . . no problems [didn't expect any . . . this'll be my second winter . . . and I'm on the Contis].

otoh, lotsa problems with so-called "better winter cars" -- and trucks. Who is behind the wheel makes a huge difference!

feloniousmonk

If you think the Versa is cute, wait till you see the cube in person...

Any FWD car will do fine in the snow, given that you have proper tires. Heck, I've seen Europeans flying around in RWD Porsche 911s in snow without any issues. Skill + proper tires.

grogman

hey dude.......cute belongs in another forum far far beyond the galaxy........if you know what i mean.

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

Hey there, my 4 Hankooks look very similar to your "Ice Carvers"...mine are 205 60 15's on Sentra rims..a little wider rim but makes for a nicer ride. Still,let's hope for a mild winter.[IMG] [/IMG][IMG][/IMG<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From my pics</td></tr></table>

Modified by longo at 12:36 AM 11/28/2008

feloniousmonk

grogman wrote:hey dude.......cute belongs in another forum far far beyond the galaxy........if you know what i mean.
So you're saying the OP should post in another forum for calling the Versa cute? Grow up.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

Last year I got to drive the Camel on Michigan's first snow of the year. Witnessed several people spin in front of me, skid off the highway, roll over, and jam their trailers...

I had no issues. I felt secure and in control the entire time. My previous 2 trips were in my 4x4 Suzukis, and I didn't regret getting rid of them for the Camel.

And these cars are cute... in a really ugly kinda way .... rofl!!

SpeedyV09
Car: 08 Versa SL Black

I live in Minnesota so I have expiernced snow already, last year the V did fine handled great minimal sliding, changed the tires yesterday to Michellin Primacy MXV4 tried them out today no sliding extremly quiet perfect so far. I have a 08 CVT with ABS

My question is:My mom has a versa as well she has a 08 6 speed with NO ABS. she is somewhat frustrated by the snow. Do you think that it is due to the fact that she has no ABS?? or the 6 Speed?? or that she still has the original coti tires on there??

KimberKenobi

I have contis and had no problems...

I also have a large distrust of ABS in poor climate (or really, at all)... a few bad run-ins. I'm not the one to answer that part of the question.

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

If she is not having fun in the snow with her Versa, it could be her winter driving technique needs to be talked about.

A standard transmission usually causes wheel spin problems in the first and second gear shifts on snowy, icy starts.

The "no ABS" will create wheel lock up and 'skateing' through a turn in an icy intersection.

So, my suggestion is, talk her into re-booting her Versa with 4 real good grippy, grabby winter tires and that will give her a lot of new confidence in starts, turns and braking.

When the snow falls on icy roads, it's time to get into a totally different mind set when driving, anything......Just Slow Down.

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

With the OEM tires and short geared 6 speed manual, this is one of the worst cars I've driven in the snow. I mostly blame the tires. I might try using 2nd gear for starts more often.... especially on inclines. Stopping on declines can be a little dicey without ABS on this car.

When these wear out next year, I'll put a higher quality tires on them.

grogman

motoguy128 wrote:With the OEM tires and short geared 6 speed manual, this is one of the worst cars I've driven in the snow. I mostly blame the tires. I might try using 2nd gear for starts more often.... especially on inclines. Stopping on declines can be a little dicey without ABS on this car.

one thought........manual shift boxes weigh less than auto transmissions. less weight on the tires means spinning tires. just my take.

SpeedyV09
Car: 08 Versa SL Black

WOW I'm impressed at the amount of replies I recieved in such a short period of time between going to bed and waking up.

What everyone responded with is the exact same problem she seems to have, she likes the car a lot, loved it all summer but is really uneasy about it in the winter.

She says that it is just sliding all over the place.

Two Things were mentioned and correct me if I'm wrong or add on.

1. The manual 6 speed is less weight means more tire spinning, people mentioned starting in 2nd gear is this going to be a big change then starting in 1st?

2. People mentioned tires, I just got a pair of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires courtesy of Costco (GREAT PRICE + THEY HAVE A SALE JUST A HEADS UP) But those tires do pretty well and rated pretty high plus they are all seasons. But when it comes to a manual 6 speed would you recommend winter tires especially or just let her know to go for some nice all seasons??

Thanks Again, Odd how I have no problems I can slide around even with the ABS and still find it an easy and fun car to drive, except for blizzards and huge snow falls and then having some steed inclines

KimberKenobi

thatguy1234 wrote:What everyone responded with is the exact same problem she seems to have, she likes the car a lot, loved it all summer but is really uneasy about it in the winter.
IMHungry wrote:4 snows, no problem!
1_Sleek_Versa wrote:Hi,

Here in Quebec we get many 16+ inches snowstorms. This is my first winter with mine. I had the chance last week to drive it in 9 inches of snow and also very icy roads.

In the snow the car was awesome. It plowed. On ice I just absolutely loved the way the ABS system worked. I just love this car. I was expecting the car to be dangerous in winter but no it's the greatest car I've had for winter.

Have fun.
Sonofasailor wrote:I live in the middle of Canada where we get some snow. Sold my dog team and bought our first Versa about a month ago. I immediately put on 4 Pirelli Winter Ice Carving tires on steel wheels with cheap hubcaps. We have had freezing rain and snow now for the past 2 week and the wife has not complained once.
Sure_Shot wrote:We get a ton of snow here too, though we haven't gotten that much this year so far. I put studded winter tires on my stock alloys (nismo rims for summer), and they have been great on the snowy/icy days we've had so far.
J. Reid wrote:Had a chance to drive my 08 S (automatic, no abs, stock tires) during the storm we had last weekend around Calgary, handled pretty nice, even on the hill into town (about 3km long that drops a couple hundred feet) which was a tad slippery. Only thing that bugged me on that drive (which was late at night) was the tunnel effect if the snow was blowing toward me, seemed to be more pronounced then with my old Neon.
frankohabs wrote:First good snowfall of the year [well, its still snowing] . . . no problems [didn't expect any . . . this'll be my second winter . . . and I'm on the Contis].

otoh, lotsa problems with so-called "better winter cars" -- and trucks. Who is behind the wheel makes a huge difference!
KimberKenobi wrote:Last year I got to drive the Camel on Michigan's first snow of the year. Witnessed several people spin in front of me, skid off the highway, roll over, and jam their trailers...

I had no issues. I felt secure and in control the entire time. My previous 2 trips were in my 4x4 Suzukis, and I didn't regret getting rid of them for the Camel.
thatguy1234 wrote:I live in Minnesota so I have expiernced snow already, last year the V did fine handled great minimal sliding, changed the tires yesterday to Michellin Primacy MXV4 tried them out today no sliding extremly quiet perfect so far. I have a 08 CVT with ABS
Verses:
thatguy1234 wrote:My mom has a versa as well she has a 08 6 speed with NO ABS. she is somewhat frustrated by the snow. Do you think that it is due to the fact that she has no ABS?? or the 6 Speed?? or that she still has the original coti tires on there??
motoguy128 wrote:With the OEM tires and short geared 6 speed manual, this is one of the worst cars I've driven in the snow. I mostly blame the tires. I might try using 2nd gear for starts more often.... especially on inclines. Stopping on declines can be a little dicey without ABS on this car.

And "everyone responded with ... the exact same problem she seems to have"? Which is that "she likes the car a lot... but is really uneasy about it in the winter"?

are we reading the same thread?!?

feloniousmonk

You don't have to have ABS to drive in the snow. It helps some (if you don't know how and when to modulate your braking). It's a driver aid, not necessity. Cars weren't available with ABS for decades, people got along just fine.

Return to “Versa General Chat”