versa driving 2mph in drive and reverse.

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
mommakylie
Car: 2008 nissan versa sl 4d.

I have a 2008 nissan versa sl. It was driving all good one day then all of a sudden out of nowhere it started messing up. My husband drove to the cornor store killed the car. Started it back up but it in reverse it was going really slow like 2mph then he tried to put it in drive it did the same thing. So to avoid any more problems he pushed it to the house. He thought it might be fuses so he checked it wasnt that. No lights are on in the car. He changed the oil and transmission fluid still not working correctly. What could it be???

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Will it rev up in park or neutral? Is there any throttle response in drive?

I can't believe there is no check engine light on!

mommakylie

Yeah it revs up. Everything seems to be like a normal running vehicle except for when you put it in reverse or drive it goes extremly slow.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Uh oh, does it have the CVT transmission?
If so, you need to make sure any transmission work has been done with Nissan CVT fluid only. Regular automatic transmission fluid can ruin it. I'd say ask your husband what he used when he changed the oil in the trans.

mommakylie

He said he didnt change the fluid bc in our town its really expensive and we needed a large number of it.

Francesco

Make sure the brake pedal stop light switch is not stuck on. See if you can put your foot under the brake pedal and pull it up and see if that makes a difference. Problems have been reported with the brake light switch causing the CVT to go slow.

Frank 2009 Versa S MT-6 with 66300 miles

mommakylie

I will get him to check i. Our car has well over 145k miles.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

It sounds like your CVT is stuck in "fail-safe" mode, referred to on the forum as "limp mode". Folks have run into it after particularly hard stops, and the normal fix is to turn it off for a bit and then restart it. It shouldn't stay in it, as yours is doing.

From the manual:

"When the fail-safe operation occurs, the CVT will not be shifted into the selected driving position. If the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions, such as excessive wheel spinning and subsequent hard braking, the fail-safe system may be activated .. In this case, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds. Then turn the switch back to the ON position. The vehicle should return to its normal operating condition."

Return to “Versa General Chat”