Versa Disc Brake Dust

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
JPS48
Car: 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

Does anyone know of a specific brand of disc brake pads that don't produce the black dust the original ones do?

My 2009 with very few miles has done this from the very beginning. It's not so much a problem with wheels discoloring, which they haven't, but rather the dust coating the entire vehicle in a fine dust that can't be seen so long as it's driven in dry conditions.

As soon as there is even the slightest drizzle, the vehicle goes from looking quite clean to absolutely filthy. It not only permeates the wheel wells but all door and rear hatch sills and edges as well as inside the fuel filler door.

I used to associate brake dust predominately with German vehicles I've owned (that of the wheel discoloration type) but have never seen this type of entire body issue.

Has anyone replaced their pads with a different brand and eliminated said dust? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing from you with the details.

Thanks!

Tacuvito
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

Brake dust is inevitable. I have not experienced a case of break dust a severe a yours, but you will always have break dust. My issue is with break noise, I have tried several brands of break pads and compounds to lessen the break squeal but I have not been successful. Good luck.

JPS48
Car: 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

Thanks Tacuvito.

I must say I've never experienced squeal with the original Nissan pads which came with the vehicle and are still installed although I have experienced squeal with other vehicles over the years.

The 'fix' for those was to slip the pads out of the calipers and add a product often referred to as 'disc brake quiet' to the backs of the pads where they contact the caliper. CRC and Permatex are two name brands that come to mind.

It's almost like a caulking that never fully hardens and stops any vibration of the pad which is the usual cause of squealing. I've even seen a different product used (no idea what it's called) that resembles the anti seize compound you would use on your wheel bolts before mounting wheels but it was a copper color versus the usual silver of anti seize compound.

If you've already tried this route, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

trdmrk86
Car: Nissan Versa

Your situation does seem worse than usual. I can't comment on your current issue, but can suggest you replace your pads with high quality Ceramic type pads. They are said to be less messy than than the usual semi-metalic pads, and from my past experiences I would agree. Don't be cheap either, get the premium stuff.

Return to “Versa General Chat”