Versa CVT Transmission Issue

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
dsj003
Car: 2009 Versa Hatchback CVT

Hello: New to this forum, but I'm having an issue with my transmission and this seems the best place to find answers! I have a 2009 Versa Hatchback, 107,000 miles. I have had NO issues with this car, love it! However, on a trip to TX last weekend, out of the blue, at a stop light - when I started to accelerate, the car would only move to 6 mph. Pressing the gas pedal had no result - no engine rev, no extra power, nothing. I coasted along for a bit, all the while trying to accelerate, then taking my foot off the gas pedal, thinking it would 'catch'. Eventually it did; however, when I was able to accelerate, I noticed that the engine was 'pinging' loudly (ok, I'm older, so I remember 'bad gas' and pinging in cars). The engine was sluggish, but did eventually get to speed. This happens now periodically - not every time I stop at a light. I am not a heavy driver - I don't brake suddenly (unless necessary) I don't accelerate heavily from a stop. Otherwise, this car runs great.
Now the bad part - I am also a negligent owner. If there is no problem, I tend to not service my Versa. Not to say I don't have regular oil changes, etc. I do that. On time. However, I have yet to have my transmission serviced, and I am in line for a tuneup. So my thoughts were that the engine just needed a tuneup. However, upon reading other posts on this thread, I see that others are having this transmission issue early on in the mileage frame. Also, this is the first I've heard of the 'limp mode' that the transmissions apparently goes into - but upon heavy braking, which I don't do, and didn't do at the times this lack of accelerating happened.

Amyone have any pertinent information about this issue, other than to chastise me for not servicing the transmission timely? ;) And does anyone think that is the real issue?

thanks!!!

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Welcome to NICO!

You need to get your CVT fluid changed in order to rule that part out, but it sounds like one of two things:

1) the fluid that's in it is old, and could be overheating the tranny, which explains a "limp mode" scenario.

2) you're past the point of return since you haven't changed the fluid in it within 109k miles, which likely means your transmission is toast.

My advice is get your CVT fluid changed ASAP and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, I would take it to Nissan. You may still fit the window of 120k CVT warranty. I need to verify that.

dsj003

RicerX thanks so much! I have an appointment to get the fluids changed, so I will update this after that has been done.

I'm hoping for scenerio #1 ;)
#2 may be the case. If so, I will have to sweet talk Nissan into a new tranny. Honestly, I haven't even looked at the owner's manual to know when I should have changed the fluid. I had intended to do it all at 100,000 miles, but obviously that's passed and now I am in the 'trouble' zone.... shame on me.

But thanks for your good advice! I appreciate it!

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

No problem! Post back when you get some results and let us know how it goes.

dsj003

Update: Transmission flushed. No issues noted with the fluid, other than it was 'old'. Also had tune up done at the same time. Note to Versa owners ( or just Versa CVT tranny models?), spark plugs are not cheap! Cost more per plug than the tranny fluid per bottle!! I had to fork over $26 per plug. I'm just happy I only have a 4 cyl .....

If I continue to have issues with the tranny/gas pedal/limp mode, I will update this post. As of today, Versa is in top shape and running great :)

Return to “Versa General Chat”