Versa Blowing the Positive Battery Cable Fuse

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
The Saint
Car: 1994 240Sx

Hello, I swapped out motor for my daughter's versa.
When the engine cranks it keeps blowing the Positive Battery cable fuse PN# 24380-79915.
Where would enough current come from to melt it?

macgiver

mac, this is just a guess , and something to verify for your situation , but I believe when there is that Hi amperage fuse right at the positive terminal - it's to supply the FUSEBOX ,usually the one in engine compartment , the STARTER is a DIRECT SECOND HEAVY cable in addition to the fused portion , and makes ONES SOLID HEAVY connection from positive post to starter. So I believe you're STARTING current is going through that fuse which designed only to supply Fuse panel and car systems only .Since you didn't state size of the fuse -remote possibility is vice versa - same problem though where starting current plus ALL OTHER AMPERAGE is going through the fuse (probably not supposed to ? ) :squint:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If the starter changed the 'new' one may be old enough to pull too much amp to blow fuse. Or a cable routing error while replacing things to make a short somewhere, often the way the actual starter cable attachment was redone can splay the terminals enough to barely touch the wrong something.

What mac said as well.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”