Versa Aftermarket Stereo Install

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
Bwana
Car: Denali

Aftermarket Stereo Installation Guide for 2007 Nissan Versa SL (without convenience package):

This is a guide for all of you “do-it-yourselfers” out there, like me. I’d like to break this down in the order that I installed my stereo, but, by all means, read this guide first and do it in whatever order you are comfortable with. This guide is only recommended for people with experience in car audio, not for people who have never done anything like this before.

Necessary tools:1. Butt connectors(Get at least 50).2. Wire clippers, preferably ones that clip and strip.3. A drill gun, for removing screws. (or a #2 Phillips screwdriver)4. A razor.

First, since I am going to make it easy for you and give you a color chart for the wire harness, you are going to want to remove the negative terminal of your car battery to prevent blowing any fuses (you would be surprised which fuses you could blow from creating a short with these wires, for example, you could lose your brake lights or interior lights.) Now you can begin to remove the stock head unit. To do this, you have to remove the middle panel on the top of the dash. To do this, you simply have to pull the tabs out beginning from the front. It may, or probably, will feel like you are going to break it, but you won’t, just pull a little harder and it will come right off.

Now, if you look at where that panel used to be, you can see two screws holding the panel that is around the stock head unit in. Simply remove these screws and remove the panel. You can unplug the hazard light button, but do not unplug the airbag light, simply take the entire light out (there are tabs that allow you to do so). Take everything you took off and put it somewhere safe. ***IMPORTANT! DO NOT UNPLUG AIRBAG LIGHT! REMOVE THE WHOLE LIGHT BRACKET FROM THE CENTER CONSOLE AND PLACE IT SOMEWHERE OUT OF THE WAY!***

Now you are left with the head unit with the mounting wings holding it in place visible. Remove the four screws on the wings and be careful not to drop them, as it will be a pain to get them out of the crevice below. Now pull the head unit forward and unplug each harness. The biggest one, the one on the left, has all of the wires you will need to replace the head unit excluding the antenna, which is the harness with the grey plug. You will need to purchase an adapter to fit this accordingly to the aftermarket head unit you bought. Now, cut the casing around the wires attached to the harness you are focused on with a razor until you have plenty of room to play around with. You should see four sets of braided wires and a few loose wires. Now you can cut the plug of the harness off, make sure you leave at least one inch of wire attached to the plug, just incase you want to put the stock head unit back in. Now, below is a chart that I composed of the color-coding that Nissan used, to make it easier to install a head unit without a wire harness:

NISSAN VERSA AUDIO WIRE COLOR CHART

Brownish-orange(the thickest lead) - 12v ConstantOrange - IlluminationCyan - Switched Lead/Accessory wire/Ignition wireBlack - GroundGrey - Right Rear NegativeTeal - Right Rear PositivePurple - Left Rear NegativeRed - Left Rear PositiveBrown - Left Front NegativeWhite - Left Front PositiveGreen - Right Front PositiveRed - Right Front Negative

Simply splice into each wire according to the harness that comes with your aftermarket head unit. This should be pretty much self-explanatory. If you are going to install a subwoofer, make sure to attach the auto-turn on wire and the RCAs and route them out through a hole that is towards the glove-box. Obviously you need to run power for the amp from the battery as well, but that is not what this guide is for.

To mount your new aftermarket head unit, you can use the mounting wings that are on the stock unit, like I did. This should work for most aftermarket head units. Now with it all plugged in and mounted, you can re-attach the negative terminal of the battery to test the head unit. If you’ve followed these instructions correctly, you should have a flawlessly operating stereo.

Reassemble the dash plugs and panels in the reverse order that they were removed, and you’re good to go.

I hope this guide is helpful, if you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected] .

Contributed by: Ever Victorious

Return to “Nissan Articles”