Versa 2009 - Reversing camera question?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
HOTPIG175
Car: 2005 Nissan Tiida Hatch C11 CVT MR18DE 225,000km
2009 Nissan Tiida Hatch C11 CVT HR15DE 70,000km
2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Auto EDZ 2.4 non-turbo 160,000km

Hi there,
Have an '09 Versa Hatch, (or Tiida as they're called here in NZ).
Haven't had this one very long, and was cleaning it the other day, and noticed a reversing camera built into the handle on the hatch.
This is a GOOD THING, as the "other driver" driver, basically, cannot reverse to save her life.
What's not good is that the system doesn't appear to work. Grrrr.
There's no screen on the dash anywhere, and even though it's had the stereo replaced, the car has just turned 70,000km. Super-tidy, and so clean, you could eat off it.
Is this one of these systems that operate using the rearview mirror as the screen? I ask because there is a hefty cable running down the bracket for the mirror, and my friend's old RAV4 has a similar setup.
Any ideas on whether or not this was a "thing on" later C11s?
If I can find out for certain that's what the setup is, I can then diagnose it - a fuse, an issue not telling the camera that the car is in reverse, (shifter switch/ horrible electronic trickery box - unlikely, because it beeps in reverse), failed electronics in the mirror, or a poor connection somewhere. Maybe it had an aftermarket screen unit fitted that was removed, but there's no evidence of that, and the camera housing is body colour.
MAYBE I"M JUST BLIND!
Idea, facts, anecdotes, or indeed, outright lies all appreciated. NZ is very boring, so I find my thrills on forums like this talking about non-functioning accessories on low-end cars.
Tiida's are bloody good, though - we've got 2, because the 1st one's been so good.
Both CVTs. Regular servicing is the key to keeping those puppies happy...
Thanks all,
Andy

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

To my knowledge Nissan never used in-mirror cam displays anyplace in the world until very recently, so if there's no display in the dash then the system has to be aftermarket. It may have quit working, or maybe wasn't wired right and was killing the battery (that's pretty common with Harry Backyard installations). I'd try to see where the cables go, if there are dangling or taped-back power wires near the fusebox then there's a good chance it was deliberately disconnected.

wags69
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa
2007 Saab 9-7x
2002 Cadillac Seville STS

The cable on the mirror is usually power for auto dimming, compass, home link, and whatever else that may be on a mirror.
I am not familiar with NZ/ Oz spec options, but the car may have had a carwings system, or a nav radio with a camera.

Return to “Versa General Chat”