Ventilated Seats Retrofit

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
PATHFINDER99NI
Car: 1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Does anyone know of someone that has retrofitted ventilated seats into the R50? I was thinking of 2013 Pathfinder (R52) seats, but it won’t be a direct fit. You’ll have to use the R50 seat base with the R50 seat. There’s also the thought that the R52 seat is wider than the R50. For that reason I think a smaller car seat might fit better. What do you guys think?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You'd have to tailor the seat cushion and cover somehow to fit it to an R50 frame. I'd be pretty sure everything else could be rigged up, but the critical part of climate seats is the construction of the cushion and the perforated cover to let air through to your butt and back. For narrower seats that might retrofit as-is, you could measure some Maximas and Muranos. Infiniti also had climate seats long before Nissan, so you might browse through the Infinti FSM's from the '00's.

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:21 pm
You'd have to tailor the seat cushion and cover somehow to fit it to an R50 frame. I'd be pretty sure everything else could be rigged up, but the critical part of climate seats is the construction of the cushion and the perforated cover to let air through to your butt and back. For narrower seats that might retrofit as-is, you could measure some Maximas and Muranos. Infiniti also had climate seats long before Nissan, so you might browse through the Infinti FSM's from the '00's.
Oh no, I planned on removing the R52 seat frame from the track, and attach it to a junkyard donor seat track. Some welding would have to be done, but I think it’s possible. As far as an earlier OEM seat, I’ll definitely see what Infiniti had to offer.

PATHFINDER99NI

I did just find this: https://www.theautochannel.com/news/200 ... 37966.html

Turns out the Q & M45’s were the first Infiniti’s we COOLED (not just ventilated) seats. I’m looking into this now.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I assumed you were talking about climate (heated and cooled) seats, I'm not sure Nissan ever did any that were simply ventilated. If they did, it was during the years I was off doing engineering and I've never seen one. The climate seats all use a device called a Peltier plate, which gets hot on one side and cold on the other when you run current through it. It's the same technology used in "space coolers" and "12V cooler chests". The hot and cold reverse sides of the plate when you reverse the current flow. So you add a fan and heatsink and you run constant air past both sides, sending hot or cold to the cushions and ejecting the corresponding waste cold or heat under the seat. That's why the one thing they all must have is airflow, and the one thing they routinely die from is clogged filters. There are a lot of convos about it over in the Q and M forums.

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:37 pm
I assumed you were talking about climate (heated and cooled) seats, I'm not sure Nissan ever did any that were simply ventilated. If they did, it was during the years I was off doing engineering and I've never seen one. The climate seats all use a device called a Peltier plate, which gets hot on one side and cold on the other when you run current through it. It's the same technology used in "space coolers" and "12V cooler chests". The hot and cold reverse sides of the plate when you reverse the current flow. So you add a fan and heatsink and you run constant air past both sides, sending hot or cold to the cushions and ejecting the corresponding waste cold or heat under the seat. That's why the one thing they all must have is airflow, and the one thing they routinely die from is clogged filters. There are a lot of convos about it over in the Q and M forums.
I was talking about CCS, but I did realize that’s what the R52 seats were. I thought they were just ventilated, I didn’t realize they we’re actually “cooled”. I will now be looking for these Q45 seats. Plus, the buttons used to control the seats, are the same style that the Pathfinders have. So I’ll be able to remove the seat heater buttons and replace them with the four Q45 switches and it will look stock. Seems like a fun retrofit.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Lot of rewiring but I can help you with that. Make sure you get the pigtails from the body harness on the donor along with the seats and switches.

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:09 am
Lot of rewiring but I can help you with that. Make sure you get the pigtails from the body harness on the donor along with the seats and switches.
I figured there would be, but I was thinking I’d just buy a bunch of wire and republicans the plugs that I cut off the donor car.

After some looking, it seems the Q is a fairly rare beast. What year Maxima or Altima, should I look for that has climate controlled seats (CCS)?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Maxes got them starting in '09, Muranos in '15.

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:07 pm
Maxes got them starting in '09, Muranos in '15.
Thanks, I’ll keep a look out. I appreciate your help.🙏

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:21 pm
:dblthumb:
Vstar, I was at the junkyard today and saw a ‘05 M35 with good condition CCS’s. The switches even look like they will replace the heated seat switches in my ‘99 R50. I think those will work just fine, as long as I can get back before someone else gets them. If I somehow miss them, do you have or know where I can get a list of all the Nissan/Infiniti vehicles w CCS?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Not really, that isn't the sort of thing anybody makes a list of. The other Nissans with climate seats are the R52 Pathies and TA60/Y62 Armadas, which are both probably too wide. I got the years for the Max and Murano by flipping through the FSM's in ASIST. You can do the same thing for the Infinitis in the FSM's here, flip through the Seat section for each MY and see if it shows Climate and not just Heated.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”