Vent replacement on a '99 Corolla

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
Woogie
Car: '08 Versa SL

I'm getting ready to sell my '99 Corolla and get a Versa. I rarely run air through the center dash vents because the stereo is right below them, and it has problems if it gets too hot or cold. But we had a super, super hot day on Wednesday, and I went to use the AC and found that the knobs for the air directional control in the center dash had broken. Probably a combination of age and stress from the heat. I'd like to replace them before I sell.

I asked the local Toyota dealer if they can order the parts and they said they'd get back to me yesterday, but they never did. So today I called them and they said that they couldn't find the part number and that the vents might only come as a larger part of the dash (which includes the hazard lights, clock, and area around the stereo). I have had this part out when I replaced the head unit, and I know the vent control pieces just pop out, so it didn't seem right that they wouldn't come as a seperate unit. I asked how much it was for the larger piece, and they quoted around $600! Even at dealer rip off prices, that seems way too much for a pop out piece of fascia on the dash.

On a car this old, I'd rather avoid getting parts from one that's junked, since they might be in the same condition. Anyone know a source online where I can just order the vents, or at least won't have to pay $600?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

try ebay or junkyards?

Return to “Others”