Vent Mode Actuator Stuck

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
XJlimitedx99
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa base model

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2009 Versa. It failed inspection because the defrost setting is inoperable. The symptom is the vent mode switch is stuck on one spot. I can turn the switch to the adjacent positions but it does not click in. Feels like its stretching the cable. I know you guys have seen that 1000 times because I saw that issue come up in many threads while searching.

Thing is, my cable moves just fine. The actuator (white plastic piece that cable connects to) under the glove box area is stuck. I can see the cable pushing and pulling on the actuator, which moves ever so slightly, but it won't shift to other positions. The smaller see-saw piece in front of the actuator moves freely and I can move the upper vents by manually moving that. I tried persuading the actuator by prying with a screw driver but no dice.

What should I be looking at from here? My first thought was there is a blockage at one of the vents preventing it from opening/closing. I tried fishing around with a coat hanger. No dice.

SOS. I don't want to know how tight I'll have to grab my ankles for a shop to tear this all apart.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Try moving it after the heater has been run awhile.

Often various vent door edges are covered with thin foam to insulate, seal, and quieten the door when it is closed. The foam is generally sticky back taped to quickly apply it, then long term use melts the foam based on the adhesive VOCs melting it to turn into goo that is sticky as h-ll. The heater on may well loosen it to be able to move but one still has to find a way to create a permanent fix, and can be VERY costly as often the HVAC airbox has to remove meaning often the entire instrument panel does too.

That problem has made utter fits on Fords.

XJlimitedx99

Thanks for the reply, I ran the heat full blast for about 25 minutes today on the way to work and tried the vents when I got there. No results. I'll try it again on the way home but this time take it apart and pry with a screwdriver again.

I was going to take it back to the shop today but decided I'll give it one more go. I'm planning on tearing the dash apart today and getting to the root of the problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, another thing. After removing the plug for the "passenger airbag off" warning light in the dash my airbag fault indicator on the instrument panel was flashing at me this morning. Guess I should've disconnected the battery before unplugging?

edit: Just googled the airbag light and I see it just needs to be reset.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Yes, that would be wise, it is idiotic to mess with any part of the airbag system while power is possible to it, people have died doing it. in fact, it is unwise to touch anything powered on a car now without the battery disconnected, it simply creates too many issue that were unnecessary.

Nothing personal intended there of course, just the truth of it...............

XJlimitedx99

Got it fixed. It wasn't easy and honestly I'm not sure what I did that fixed it. I torn the ENTIRE dash out. That gave me good access to see and handle all of the vent linkages and see the vent doors move. I think something was just jammed up because after moving all the linkages manually everything was working. I adjusted the cable to compensate for a bit of stretch and the switch works great now. The car is back at the shop today getting a ball joint done and hopefully an inspection sticker.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”