veepeak v11 vs wifi vs BLE

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ObsessiveDad
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

anyone have experience with all three? Looks to me like the only difference is the connection protocols? V11 will only work with android or windows, wifi will work with those plus IOS, but assuming you have to connect to the units wifi, hence you lose your "regular" wifi while using it, which doesn't seem to be a big deal? And the BLE looks to a sort of "automatic bluetooth" ie, it connects to the unit automatically within an app, instead of having to manually pair it.
Is that it? Are there any differences in functionality/supported apps?
After reading about these with the CVT50 app it seems like a great way to keep an eye on the cvt. Are there apps available that will let you at the abs and/or srs/airbag info/errors? been shopping around for a decent reader, but to get all the functionality I'm looking at $400-500 at least, this seems like a "too cheap to be true" option.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Most apps will allow you to see what is going on within a lot of the systems, but don't offer two-way coms in order to activate/operate/test some of those systems, other than a couple - OBDEleven being one, but it is for the VAG family. From what I have experienced with other makes, you'll have to lay down some cash to get a true technician's tool that will do what you want. I'm like you - I want to do as much of my own work as I can. I bought a cloned Tech II for my GM products for $275 from AliExpress around 2012 or so, which is what the dealerships used until the 2013 or 2014 model year. I bought an interface for $200 (with free software) for my VW that has dealer-level capability.

I had an OBDII BT interface that I bought to use when I learned about Torque many years ago that finally died about a month ago. I had gotten a Veepeak and tested it with Torque and CVTz50 about three months ago, and it worked as well as the other one did. Now I'm glad I have it. Personally, I would rather use BT over wifi. A co-worker had a wifi dongle that worked fine but you had to select that wifi every time. With my apps and the BT dongle, as long as you aren't near any other BT source, it is a pretty painless connection. Once you pair the BT dongle, it will connect to it when you start the app as most apps have a turn on/off BT setting in them.

No experience with the BLE so no comment on that one.

My suggestion is spend $8-15 on a Veepeak from ebay (not a 2.x version - 1.x only), CVTz50 (and maybe Torque), paid versions, and those will show you a lot of info. CVTz50 is good for a lot of info on the Nissans, but if you have other makes, Torque is great for them. Deep level of PIDs for most makes to let see a lot. Torque has a free version to make sure it works with your hardware. App is Android only, though. You won't have a lot of money spent, and you can decide from there about a dealer-level tool.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

C-ya wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:44 am
My suggestion is spend $8-15 on a Veepeak from ebay (not a 2.x version - 1.x only), CVTz50 (and maybe Torque), paid versions, and those will show you a lot of info. CVTz50 is good for a lot of info on the Nissans, but if you have other makes, Torque is great for them. Deep level of PIDs for most makes to let see a lot. Torque has a free version to make sure it works with your hardware. App is Android only, though. You won't have a lot of money spent, and you can decide from there about a dealer-level tool.
+1 :dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”