VE30DE turbo?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Mymaximaisasleeper
Car: 1992 Maxima SE

I have a VE30DE in my 92 max. I was wondering what would be a good route for tuning it. A turbo would be nice and I have seen one done, but I am open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

I would make sure everything is up to date before considering a turbo.

New manifold studs, good VTCs, crack-free coil packs and no other problems.

It seems like most of the turbo setups I have seen have had some tuning trouble with the VE. I think that is something that could be ironed out over time.

The bad part is basically everything has to be fabricated. There are no kits or common swaps or parts used. If you are good at problem solving and like a challenge, this would be a good project for you.

Another problem is transmissions. Both the manual and AT would be at their limit (unless you have them built up) with a turbo. On the manual, lots of guys eat up input shaft bearings as it is N/A.

You didn't say what mods you have currently. I will have to assume it's totally stock?

If you want to just add some mods, you could install a CAI, y-pipe, UDP and cat-back exhaust and you should run in the high 14s.

Mymaximaisasleeper

It is totally stock, and it's kinda old but I love it and want to give it some new life. Your suggestions are a great start, but I don't know any good websites to pick up parts and I haven't had much luck with google. On another note, I was reading about a possible 6th gen tranny swap. Would this be possible? I have never done any tuning but I have friends that do it and I know some about it. Any help/suggestions would be awesome, and thanks for the info Chris.

Chris92SE
2003 Pathfinder LE

If you get a chance, post a link to the write up, because I can't recall ever seeing a 6-speed in a 3rd gen.

Unless you could do this swap easily, the VE tranny has a factory VLSD and seems to have pretty decent ratios. It would probably be cheaper and more efficient to have the stock tranny rebuilt to withstand more hp. I think internal parts can be upgraded.

If you go the turbo route, you are kind of on your own. Everything has to be fabbed up and I can't help you with that.

If you want to go all motor, here are some of the most common performance upgrades. The Y-pipe should be your first mod, btw.

CAI can be made (mine was custom made) or buy the one off of ebay and put on a real K&N filter

Y-pipe can be purchased from http://www.warpspeedperformance.com ($200)

UDP at http://www.aspracing.com ($110?)

cat back = any muffler shop or buy from Warpspeed, GReddy ($200-$600)

http://www.blehmco.com for ground wire kit or big brakes/suspension stuff. I think he is selling TB spacers, too. ($45 TB spacer, $60 wire kit)

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com for ECU upgrade ($600)

Maxima clutches are the same from 89-2001 I believe ACT and Exedy Stage 1 are preferred ($300-$400)

Fidanza Aluminum flywheel = search ($375-$400)

Putting on all of these items should put you into the mid/upper 14s in the quarter mile with street tires and maybe low 14s on slicks or drag radials. Mid 14s on street tires is about as fast as an Integra GS-R with I/H/E.

I ran a 14.8 and don't have an ECU and ran on street tires.

Mymaximaisasleeper

Thanks alot for the ideas and all the research. I have one more question. I think that my VVL is screwed. I am willing to fix it but I need to know what to do. Have you had to repair one before? Any help would be great. Thanks for all your help.

Mymaximaisasleeper

VTC, sorry.

Chris92SE
2003 Pathfinder LE

I haven't done it. I feel it is beyond what I feel comfortable doing. It requires removing the timing chains and pulling the cams, marking everything and putting everything back perfectly. I probably could do it, but I don't really have the time and don't want to screw it up.

Here is the TSB about the VTCs:

VTC TSB pdf file

Mymaximaisasleeper

I can't thank you enough for your help but I guess that I can start with: Thank you so much for your help.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”