VE30DE Techs-- Crank failures???

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
boomstriker

On the 92-94 SE Twin cam Maxima with the VE30DE engine, how many of you Nissan guys have seen the counter-balance weight bolts fail causing catostrophic results?The crank has counterbalance weights that are held on with two big bolts-- stupid design.The bolts shear and the weight goes through the block. I've seen this more than once now and customers say they weren't over reving them.Is this a problem?

Kirk

NISTECH

it is most likely the result of lack of proper maintnence (regular oil changes)

boomstriker

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post or you're not familiar with this eng.

A cranksahaft normally has the counterbalance weights cast as an integral part of the crankshaft itself. After rough machining, the main and rod bearing journals are ground to spec and the assembly is then balanced to the rest of the reciprocating mass.

With this one, the two thin counterbalance weights at either end are separate cast pieces that are literally bolted to the crankshaft and the assembly is balanced as a whole.On two separate engines I've seen now, one of the two bolts has sheared. Centrifical force and the heavy weight overcomes the other bolt and the counterbalance slams into the block on rotation causing obvious destruction.

This is a fastener failure, not an oiling or maintenence issue, in fact not even a problem with the crankshaft itself.Maybe the bolt was overtorqued, maybe it was too small for the load or under designed. Maybe just bolts that were flawed and failed under the prolonged high stress and vibration.

Anyone seen this before???

NISTECH

I am familier with the engine. very familier. I have yet to see that happen. but what I was getting at was if the weight had sludge build up on it and the mass had been increased by the build up.

boomstriker

Thick sludge build-up on a spinning crank??? Seriously???That's a new one on me.

NISTECH

Hey man, just throwin ideas out there seein how I have worked on several of the 92 to 94 max's with that engine and have yet to see it happen. could be the bolts are just crap as well. Nissan has been known to make a few engineering blunders,i.e. the van, the injectors on mid 80's max and 300z, the walley wagon(snicker,chuckle), air bags on mid 90's altima the list goes on.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”