VE30DE intermittent noisey excessive valve clearance, need some help please.

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Donp
Car: 92 PJ30 Maxima VE 30 DE auto Japanese domestic market imported

VE30DE intermittent noisey excessive valve clearance, need some help please.

Postby Donp » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:04 am

1992 Maxima PJ30 ve30de intermittent cam follower noise

Hello all

I'm new here and have spent time searching to find the answer to my issueI apologise if this has been covered somewhere and I havn't spotted it.

My 3rd gen Maxima (new to me last christmas) goes well, makes good consistant power, revs out nicely and has a smooth idle. except from a few minor issues one of them making a intermittent loud ticking from the automatic valve clearance adjuster assy.

It will make the noise cold or hot, usually 30+ seconds after cold start, warm it may be straight away.Sometimes 1 adjuster intermittently more come and go.Gently reving the engine to approx 2000 rpm will usually make the noise go away and it'll come back after approx 10 seconds at idle.

I've pulled the front rocker cover off after engine has been making this noise from the front and found the noisey valve assy to have approx 2-3 mm of clearance.I'm guessing the change in oil pressure is causing the noise to come and go. Is the problem is caused by carbon blocking the oil supply to the adjusters and if so short of dissasembly and replacement of each adjuster at ~$80us ea or simmering the adjusters in clean oil hoping to reduce some of the carbon, would supplying a alternate oil supply to the adjuster assembly fix this problem and if so has anyone done this or knows where in the head a good place to tap into the oil gallery to achieve this ?

replacement adjusters from my local Nissan supplier at approx US$80 each so beyond my enthusiasim

I've checked the oil pressure by substituting a gauge at the oil pressure switch when hot after the radiator cooling fan has cycled at least twice idle approx 25 psi1500 rpm approx 60 psi3000 approx 75 psi

Thanks for your thoughts

Regards DonPNew Zealand

Modified by Donp at 6:08 PM 11/12/2007
Modified by Donp at 6:47 PM 11/12/2007

Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

Re: VE30DE intermittent noisey excessive valve clearance, need so ... (Donp)

Postby Chris92SE » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:59 pm

You have what is known at "VTC clacking"

Your car has hydraulically operated (with engine oil) Variable Timing Control intake camshaft sprockets.

They have a spring inside of them that gets worn out and causes them to "clack." In order to solve the problem, you need to buy new VTCs or have them rebuilt. If you are a good mechanic, you can do this yourself, but it's not a simple operation. The rebuild parts are not too expensive, maybe $100 US. The new VTCs are very expensive, I think $400 or $500 each. Dealership linstallation (at least here in the states) on either job is usually half of what car is worth, easily $1500 or more including the parts.

Here is a bit of reading on the subject:

Nissan TSB on VTCs

autozone repair link

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=340565

henar86

Postby henar86 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:42 am

Estimado amigo, soy nuevo en este espacio, me cuesta mucho porque ingles no hablo. Si puedes entenderme a mi, me gustaría saber si sabes algo del ruido a valvulas por los botadores, el mecanico dice que hay que cambiarlos pero acá en argentina cuestan fortuna!!!! queria saber si con algun tipo de aceite u aditivo se soluciona!!!! muchas gracias

ArEs23x
Car: 2006 G35X

Re: VE30DE intermittent noisey excessive valve clearance, need so ... (henar86)

Postby ArEs23x » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:23 am

^ Translation

My dear friend, I am new in this forum, it is very difficult for me cuz I dont know English. If you could understand me, I would like to know if you know something about a noise in the valves (and something else haha), the mechanic told me that they have to get changed but in Argentina there a whole fortune!!!! I wanted to know if with some type of oil would that fix me issue!!!! Thanks a lot

Well I think I nailed most of it... I just couldnt understand some of it

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Z32, 1992 Q45, and much much more

Postby mtcookson » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:59 pm

I haven't heard of anyone having luck cleaning the system out with oil or cleaner. I think most of the time when they are making noises they are beyond repair, you would have to replace them.

Another option is disabling the VTC assembly by using a resistor I believe. If you would like more info on this just let me know.

Hope that helps.

http://translate.google.com

ArEs23x
Car: 2006 G35X

Re: (mtcookson)

Postby ArEs23x » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:18 pm

i tried that website you posted and it really works like a charm...sweet deal

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

Postby GerryO » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:19 pm

In my case adding just half a quart of 50W synthetic oil quickly quieted a noisey lifter. The next oil/filter change I converted to all synthetic (50W) and things have been quiet since then.

mtcookson

Postby mtcookson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 am

You actually have the VG30DE. If its making noise, its likely the lifters themselves. They're very well known for making noise.

The VE30DE (only ever came in the 92-94 Maxima) on the other hand tends to have a noisy VTC assembly when they go out (lifters aren't a common problem).

Donp
Car: 92 PJ30 Maxima VE 30 DE auto Japanese domestic market imported

Postby Donp » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:11 pm

When mine has been making the noise I have followed it with a automotive stethoscope, sometimes the noise comes from the front bank sometimes the rear, never from the drive sprocket area.I've shut down the engine while it has been making the noise from the front and centre rocker area, removerd the rocker cover to check each follower for clearance, the one that was making the noise had approx 2 mm of clearance. therefore I suspect the lifter or the oil supply to it. One day I plan to fit a tee in the oil pressure sender line and see if I can plumb into the lifter line as currently the noise goes away at around 2 k revs (sometimes more like 1500 and other 2.5k) I feel it is not the vtc assy as this would be less likely to create a noise from each valve assy in a intermittent fasion.I've tried several oil fortifiers with little improvement. If anyone has done this or had similar experience please advise.

Regards Don

mtcookson

Postby mtcookson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:58 am

Ahhhh, I think I understand now... the only thing throwing me off the intermittent part. Basically, the VE30DE actually has hydraulic lash adjusters instead of lifters. The cams are above the rocker, which pivots on the lash adjuster to push down on the valve. Unlike the lifters, the lash adjusters aren't able to bleed out air while the engine is running. If there is air in the adjusters you actually need to pull them out and manually bleed the air out.

Check out EM-75 for that procedure: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1994/em.pdf

Its pretty straight forward, I've actually had to do this with the VH45 adjusters (they actually appear to be almost the same design). Anyway, you simply submerge the HLA in oil then take a small rod (I used a very small allen wrench) and you push down on the ball bearing inside it to bleed the air out. As you're doing this you should see bubbles come out. Once its fully bled you can push on the HLA and it shouldn't compress at all.

If your HLA's are mushy when you press on them that procedure should definitely fix it. Good luck!

Kiron Kid
Car: Nissan Maxima "1993"

Re:

Postby Kiron Kid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:25 pm

mtcookson wrote:I haven't heard of anyone having luck cleaning the system out with oil or cleaner. I think most of the time when they are making noises they are beyond repair, you would have to replace them.

Another option is disabling the VTC assembly by using a resistor I believe. If you would like more info on this just let me know.

Hope that helps.

http://translate.google.com

What is this "resistor" option that you speak of? Mine ticks on occasion. Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks
Russ

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”