VDC Off/Slip Lights Coming On

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
vabelleintn
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S FWD
2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

I have a 2008 Rogue with about 52K miles on it. Suddenly this week the VDC OFF and SKID lights have started coming on together. As soon as I shut off the engine and restart the car they are gone. They have now come back twice, normally after about 100 miles of driving. They always go off as soon as I shut off the engine. I have been reading all over the Nissan Forums and this is a problem a lot of Pathfinder and Xterra owners have, but I can't find any Rogue owners talking about the same issue. Has anyone out there has this issue with their Rogue and what was the fix? Most of the Pathfinder and Xterra drivers seem to never get a solid answer from the dealer/service dept. as to what the problem is. I have seen low brake fluid, bad sensors, issues with lifts and several other explanations. PLEASE HELP!!!! :gotme

philipa_240sx

Welcome to the NICOClub Rogue Forums vabelleintn.

There were a couple of other members with the same issues. Apparently caused by faulty sensors and/or wiring. This thread should give you an idea as to the cause:

post5390121.html?hilit=rogue%20abs%20lights#p5390121

You will need to seek help of a Nissan dealer or reputable garage as they have the proper tools and skills to check for computer error codes, find the cause and repair it.

Good luck!

vabelleintn
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S FWD
2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

Actually...These posts don't exactly address my problem. I am NOT getting an ABS light, just the VDC and Slip lights. I have a code reader and tried to read the codes this weekend, but got a link error instead. So I can't figure out what the problem is.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

You need the Nissan ScanGuage tool to read codes, a generic code reader won't work on a Nissan, or there is a method to manually pull codes but it involves a complex series of inputs that you can make from the drivers seat. If you're under warranty I'd recommend letting Nissan pull the codes and make the appropriate repair, if not I can dig up the process for manually pulling codes, I just don't have the time right at this minute...

beloman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Well, a fellow motorist told me my brake (stop) lights were not working- the 2008 Rogue SL had only about 35K miles on it. Sure enough, when I got home I verified the stop lights were NOT lit when the brake pedal was pushed. But I got it working again, squirted alittle cleaner on the switch....but I didn't connect the dots to the VDC "off" light and the SLIP light to the intermittent brake light switch. Took it to the Nissan service department and fortunately, the switch was acting up again just before I arrived. I left the Rogue running and pointed them to the VDC off/SLIP indications and after the switch was replaced, no more problem! I would have never connected the intermittent condition to the VDC light issue. If you are having this problem, unless you have the means to verify your brake lights are working, it might be frustrating to figure out as the VDC/SLIP lights will reset after each shutdown. Good luck!

htruck

Thank you SO much for posting about the brake light switch. I had those 2 lights come on in my car last night (2008 Nissan Rogue) and a google search brought me to this page. Sure enough, when i checked, i had no brake lights. If i pumped the brakes, they would flash briefly, but mostly i had no brake lights at all. I am headed to Philly tomorrow to pick up our son from the airport, he's home on leave from the air force. Because I knew what the problem was, when i called the dealership i was able to tell them what was wrong, and they went and picked up the part before I got there - enabling me to drive to Philly tomorrow WITH working brake lights. They confirmed the problem was the brake light switch, and got the new one installed very quickly.

If i hadnt seen your post, never in a million years would i have thought to check my brake lights when those lights appeared. The lights went off when I turned the car off and back on, so if i hadnt found this answer, i might not have even looked for a problem until the next time the lights appeared. I doubt it is wise to drive to Philadelphia without brake lights, so thank you again!

pothole0222
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV
2010 Rogue S 360 FWD

My wife's 2010 Rogue just started having this issue...

Is VERY sluggish acceleration also normally associated with this particular issue? I checked, and the brake lights aren't working, so its off to the Nissan Dealer tomorrow morning either way. But when I was driving it today, I literally had to floor the accelerator to get it moving. Once its moving however, it seems ok...

Figures, something would happen when we're 300 miles from home, and my Nissan Employee badge is at home...

--Kevin

pothole0222
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV
2010 Rogue S 360 FWD

Just a quick update, for future reference, the issue with my wife's Rogue as posted above WAS the brake light switch. Got it squared away at Crossroads Nissan of Hickory, NC this morning. Total cost for parts and labor was $163.50.

--Kevin

jaceliz7
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hi,
I just started having the same exact issue with my car where I press on the pedal and it won't go, the VDC light comes on and off and the car kicks back from time to time. I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue. We have an extended warranty and the dealer told us that two switches needed to be replaced and that this costs 1700 dollars. So our warranty went on a test drive with the mechanic from the Nissan dealer and they could not replicate the code. I am not sure what to do now that I am reading that other people have gotten one sensor/switch replaced. The dealer charged us 124 dollars and nothing got resolved. Also, My RPM gauge goes to 4,000 and the car barely moves when I am getting on the highway... any suggestions? I just started my school semester so this is definitely the worse of times to go through this.

Shmooie69
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue S

I am having the same issue with my 2009 Nissan Rogue.

While driving will do same thing. Suddenly the VDC will say VDC Off and slip light will flash on.

Abs light does not come on

Then engine cuts out and have no power - no acceleration. Have to coast it to side of road to stop, and turn off wait a couple of seconds then restart engine.

Has done it for me a couple of times

Also does it if i turn VDC off at switch by steering column

Have to look and see if there is a fuse in fuse box for VDC control

Was also told may be low brake fluid or dirty wheel sensors _ from dust / dirt / brake dust on them

Hoping its not computer control that needs replaced

I have same issue as you and looking for answers as well

Will have to buy ODB scanner and see if any codes show up to pinpoint if may bad wheel sensor

Chris

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Bad wheel sensors will always cause an ABS light along with slip. Low fluid will usually cause a lamp when turning corners and won't affect the way the car drives. Your post seems to imply that the engine is stalling. If that's the case and you get a lit MIL when the engine stalls, your ECM Relay may be cutting out. That will cause lots of lights and lots of "U" codes in the other systems, but no codes in the engine (because the ECM is going to sleep in the middle of the paragraph).

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Shmooie69 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:19 am
I am having the same issue with my 2009 Nissan Rogue.

While driving will do same thing. Suddenly the VDC will say VDC Off and slip light will flash on.

Abs light does not come on

Then engine cuts out and have no power - no acceleration. Have to coast it to side of road to stop, and turn off wait a couple of seconds then restart engine.

Has done it for me a couple of times

Also does it if i turn VDC off at switch by steering column

Have to look and see if there is a fuse in fuse box for VDC control

Was also told may be low brake fluid or dirty wheel sensors _ from dust / dirt / brake dust on them

Hoping its not computer control that needs replaced

I have same issue as you and looking for answers as well

Will have to buy ODB scanner and see if any codes show up to pinpoint if may bad wheel sensor

Chris
I have been having the same problem intermittently with my 2009 nissan rogue lately. My rogue drives fine when these lights go on. Sometimes it appears out of nowhere and you see the lights. Then it may disappear for a few weeks or longer then sneak up again. But the Rogue drives fine. Might have hesitated for a hot second but mainly drives ok as I mostly remember. Maybe something is going weak part wise, who knows.

Use my go to fuel cleaners to clean the system a bit.

Anyways,

I overfilled my brake fluid tank just in case.
Made sure my gas cover is click twisted enough just in case.

So I also went ahead and bought a new brake light switch just in case I might need that in the future. Moreover, if the lights stay on all the time, I'm planning to replace the camshaft sensor.

My 2 switches will definitely not be costing $1700 at the dealership. I'm doing it myself first.

But for now it drives 99% fine except these 2 lights might appear momentarily during a drive. With extended periods of not showing up too.

Not complaining because for some these lights appear 2 years after buying a rogue like with the op, mine took 14 yrs.

Majority of the time, my rogue drives smooooooth as butter. :mike

It's an old car, so I'm at the point where I can have a few warning lights on, just chilling with my ocd as I get elderly. :whistle:

Return to “Rogue Forum”