VDC Off light

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

And on it goes. Could a problem with traction control be triggered by a loose wire on the VDC switch on the dash? When working on the clock spring I pulled the trim section with the panel of switches which includes this one out of place. On my first drive after the work the van was slipping slightly and SLIP light showed on display and VDC Off light came on and stayed on. Once light came on van drove without slipping and SLIP light went out. I will do a scan tomorrow. Yeesh.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's more likely you knocked the Steering Angle Sensor out of calibration when you had the spiral out.

schuylkill

Is that something I can recover from? I hope to install new spiral on Wednesday. It did take me a bit to discover how the Sensor had to align with 2 tabs and slots on spiral and it. I forget which had tabs and which slots.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yah, it's easily calibrated with any ABS-capable scanner. It only takes about a 2 degree off-angle to make the ABS throw a code, so it's usually necessary following spiral replacement. The only trick is making sure the road wheels are straight before you tell it to capture the calibration point. The steering wheel position isn't relevant, only the road wheels are. The reason is, the ABS counts ticks on each wheel and it expects exactly equal counts when the steering wheel reads zero deflection. If it gets an off-count on one or more wheels, it throws a code. So the steering wheel doesn't want to be centered, it wants to be in whatever position corresponds to going straight down the road. Depending on your wheel alignment, that may or may not be exactly straight. We have a dead-level spot in our parking lot that I use for calibrating, I get the car up to about 30 going in a straight line and then bring it to a stop without budging the steering wheel. That way I know the road wheels are dead straight. Hit the capture button and I'm done.

macgiver

An old school way , as optional alternative to VStar , is a stringline ( need buddy though) against front & rear wheels / tires , you check both sides for the clearances . But I got good also buy having someone at the wheel while I eyeball down side of car , like a stringline sight , of the front to back edge of tire rims . I got got as good as the string !! Buddy helps in both cases to fine-tune the wheel in getting the best parallel .Cons is this does necessitate " helpers " . :rolleyes:
This as alternative IF you just want to sit in driveway ??? Either one , works ,right ??

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:24 pm
An old school way , as optional alternative to VStar , is a stringline ( need buddy though) against front & rear wheels / tires , you check both sides for the clearances . But I got good also buy having someone at the wheel while I eyeball down side of car , like a stringline sight , of the front to back edge of tire rims . I got got as good as the string !! Buddy helps in both cases to fine-tune the wheel in getting the best parallel .Cons is this does necessitate " helpers " . :rolleyes:
This as alternative IF you just want to sit in driveway ??? Either one , works ,right ??
When removed from sources of optical illusion, the human eye can discriminate angles well below 0.1 degrees. The problem with an optical illusion is, it's called that because your "smart" brain won't know your optic hindbrain is being fooled. So while eyeballing will usually work fine, you have to be careful about any "ruler lines" present in the background setting. Since my service bay is filled with various sorts of those, I find it simpler to employ the parking lot where both my lying eyes and the ruler lines of the parking spots will be familiar and reliable.
;)

schuylkill

Can anyone suggest a handheld device that I could get to do this reset? My scan tool only reads and clears codes.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The Foxwell NT630 will do it for around $150. I know BlueDriver Pro will also do it from your phone for around $150, and it's more versatile and upgradable than the Foxwell.

schuylkill

I have BlueDriver Pro Scan Tool and I thought I would be able to use it but I don't see that reset ability. I called support and was told it will read and clear ABS codes but not reset sensors. I have model LSB2.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's odd, I thought I recalled it doing ABS work support. Sorry, my bad. You might be best off just letting a local shop with a high-end scanner do it for you, it's a 30-second operation and anybody honest won't charge you much.

schuylkill

I found the Foxwell NT630 for $99 on ebay so I grabbed it. Hopefully it will get some use over the years. Also the BlueDriver scanner is available for the lowest price I found if you get it from their site with the offered discount.

Return to “Quest Forum”