Vancouver Juke media preview

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
dmuramoto
Car: 350Z street, 350Z GT3 and T3 racecars, Versa HB and Infiniti G37xS sedan

Just made it into Vancouver for the Nissan press event. We'll be driving production-correct models of the Juke on the Sunshine coast tomorrow. Tonight I had the opportunity to talk with several Nissan staffers about a variety of topics. One of them was future applications of the new 1.6 liter turbo engine. I was hoping for a lightweight rear drive sport coupe or sedan. The bad news is that this was the original plan for this new powerplant, but Nissan cancelled the project in '08 due to a lack of projected sales volume. Nobody could offer any encouragement that this 240SX replacement (S16?) has ever been revisited.

But there was some good news in the form of the upcoming replacement Sentra (B17) model. It's still in the design stage, but the reports are that its a much better looking car than the slab-sided B16. Being built on the same Global B platform as the Juke means there's the possibility the 1.6 turbo (I've yet to find the internal engine designation) could be used in the next Sentra. How would Sentra fans like a turbocharged Sentra Se-R with direct injected four and 190 blown HP? Better yet, there's a manual tranny for the FWD model ready to use. Much of the R&D on the application has been done and Nissan could offer better mileage than the QR25 to boot!

But don't tell me you like the idea. Let Nissan know what you want to see with the new Sentra. Or, on second thought, post here and I'll carry the water to Nissan myself...

Look for a First Drive article on the new 2011 Juke in the upcoming issue. Any questions you'd like to see addressed?

dmuramoto

Well, the Juke test drive is over and I'll have LOTS to talk about in my upcoming article. The new torque vectoring system and I-CON interface really work on this vehicle. The Juke is no joke!

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

My local Nissan dealer received several recently and I am very curious about it now. Pictures do not do it justice.

Looks aside what we really are looking at is a new set of variables to meet more needs. The new M also has this drive mode selector that allows users to predetermine what mode the car will be in and the economy or performance you expect to see when you step on the throttle. Having forced induction will allow them to control the intake volume better while having direct inject allows for amazing control over fuel pressure, volume and timing.

I like the concept and I really like the versatility. I am really thinking of getting one of these, once I get a chance to drive one I fear I it will be a wrap. It's perfect for what I (honestly) need out of a vehicle.

Think about having turbo torque and CVT precision....

dmuramoto

Great comment as usual Steve. I'm sure many of us had a negative reaction when we first saw the Juke. But look a bit closer and there are many details which stand out in a positive way. Look a little closer still and the technical side makes the Juke even more attractive. I'll be interested to hear your reactions once you drive one!

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

The Juke has sparked more interest than any other Nissan or Infiniti since I have been there.

It's odd looking enough to actually be attractive,
They get decent economy (prospected still)
Interior capacity is good enough for most of us DINKS
However....
Loaded its still ~$25k

FYI-It will not be eligible for VPP and is not planned on it for some time now.So I guess that means unlike the Rogue they plan on moving a few of these.

dmuramoto

Jukes are a hot seller in Europe and Japan, so Nissan NA should have high hopes for it here. Not too surprised about VPP as an all-new model usually takes six months to a year to be added.

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”