Valve cover breather hose..

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
bomber240

I recently installed a Hotshot intake pipe on my 1990 240sx S13, and the coupling that comes out of the pipe that is suppose to connect to the breather hose coming from my valve cover doesn't seem to match up properly. Could I just cap the coupler/nipple on the pipe with something, and add a breather"air filter" to the end of the breather tube coming out of the valve cover? or would this effect the performance of something?:help

UnderPressure

naw, it would actually help a TINY bit. i would help keep oil out of the intake tract and throttle. sometimes when the valve cover shoots out air, some oil will go along with it. Put one of those tiny air filters on it and it will only go all over the engine bay :)

flash

R240NA

You can use a filter, or leave it open, depends on the condition of your motor. The vent is used to pull out excess blow-by, but by doing that you're piping that crap right back into the motor, by letting it vent to atmosphere, you're keeping the intake tract cleaner, and essentially will have better emissions output, since you're not reburning the remnants. Older cars will tend to have more blow-by, so you'd want something to keep it from dumping out on the car. Mine is open, but I intend to run a hose to a catch tank one day.

wanabe240esx

universal brake bleeder kit at pepboys, 7.99 and its worth it, you'll see what i mean when you get there

bomber240

Ok cool thanks. I will probably put a filter on for now and maybe a hose and a dump tank later. Thanks

bomber240

What does the universal brake bleeder kit do?

wanabe240esx

bomber240 wrote:What does the universal brake bleeder kit do?
if you've ever seen the greddy oil catch can it looks the same, just without the internal baffles for the oil vapors to condense

its really hard to explain, but ideally you want the oil vapors to NOT vent into the engine, HOWEVER the engine really performs better(not in terms of HP) because of the vacuum aiding in the scavenging of vapors

problem witha breather, no vacuum

problem with the catch can, costs 80 bux new, and gains are minimal

brake bleeder kit, has a cup with a screw on top, with 2 nipples sticking out on top of the cup, if any excess oil gets sucked into the pcv lines, it just drains into the cup, but since they are small and do not contain any baffles(im working on it) none of the vapors condense(object of the can)

ive done a couple of these things on friends cars, still waiting to do one to one of MY cars

hope that helps:help

actually, try thiscap off the elbow on the valve cover that leads to the intake tract, and start the car, see how much it smokes

THEN put that tubing back on, see the difference

gumby
Car: '89 240sx sohc

candiate for a write up?

ShifDown96240SE
Car: Drifting, racing, Reptiles,partying

Yeah, I have an Ingen Intake and out of the side comes a hose that T's into two hoses, one to the valve cover and one to the engine intself? i once put long hoses from both spots and put filters on the ends, but that didnt work all that well, should i just do it to the valve cover only and leve the other hooked up to the intake tube(ingen one)

McManusKA24DE
Car: 1998 Nissan Frontier
KA24DE Engine

What size would the breather needed be?

B_S14_240SX
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx

I cant find any breather filter that fits my ka24de. Any ideas where to buy one? Or better yet where did you buy yours?

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”