Vac Pump on back of Alternator

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
scottfelsen
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 Diesel SD 22 motor, long bed

I have a 1982 Datsun 720 diesel SD 22 motor. On the back of the alternator is a vacuum pump connected to the break booster with three oil tubes coming out of it. The pump housing broke. Does anyone know where I can get another one? I will try to post a few pictures. Thanks for your help!!!

scottfelsen

waynosworld

Where are you located?

scottfelsen

I found one on ebay on a new alternator. It wasn't cheep... But at least I have a new alternator with it... I'm in Atlanta GA.

waynosworld

It's good you have the issue taken care of.
How did it get broken in the first place, did you drop the alternator?

scottfelsen

I was tightening it onto a new alternator and It just broke off... Now I have the rebuilt alternator that I am removing even though its 3 weeks old... And a New alternator with the vacuum pump attached to it that I will install tomorrow. Its an old truck so stuff is falling off it all the time. Mostly rust!!! But I am restoring it as best I can. New floor boards next... Pop Riveting new sheet metal that has been rust proofed and painted. Then lots of body work on all the rust...

waynosworld

Do they use salt on the roads there in the winter?
That's to bad about it getting broke that way, be very careful with anything diesel specific, parts are getting hard to find, keep the alternator as a backup, they are not the greatest built alternators, I have had a couple of them go bad.
scottfelsen wrote:I was tightening it onto a new alternator and It just broke off... Now I have the rebuilt alternator that I am removing even though its 3 weeks old... And a New alternator with the vacuum pump attached to it that I will install tomorrow. Its an old truck so stuff is falling off it all the time. Mostly rust!!! But I am restoring it as best I can. New floor boards next... Pop Riveting new sheet metal that has been rust proofed and painted. Then lots of body work on all the rust...

Return to “Datsun 720”