V.V.T in a KA24DE

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
technoman
Car: puss

Why can’t I just think of a way to integrate a VVT intake Sprocket on my ka cam? I have a maxima head just sitting here and im begging my friend who is a machinist who can work wonders with aluminum. I’m looking at a 94 VG30DE 4 cam 94maxima motor. This engine has VVT on both intake cams front side and back side. Six coil packs with no rocker arms laid out just like a KA cam set. If I can integrate that intake sprocket I can have VVT. On a ka You must under stand the coiled sprocket to no that’s how VVT is achieved. I need to custom bolt this VVT sprocket on the end of my KA intake cam and make sure the exhaust sprocket will work. Possibly use the maxima exhaust cam sprocket not VVT. I will need to cut a whole in the upper timing cover for the sprocket to stick out. And work out the chain issue. I could custom fab a plastic cover to shield it and hold oil in. And hope like hell JWT could alter my ECU to understand my fuel/air curve with an intake cam that advances and retards. Imputs please?

Technoman!

777aaron
Car: race cars

This is a great idea but the downside is you are probally going to spend tons of time and a decent amount of cash for minimal gains,I believe stuff like this is best left to the gearheads at Nissan.Another aspect is the fact that it would be very hard to modify the E.C.U. to act correctly w/out having it on a dyno where you could do some trial and error,and it would probally work a whole lot better with some custom engine management software anyway(BIG BUCKS).Here is something to think about also,the main diff. between a S13 redtop and a S15 blacktop motor is a T25 turbo Vs. a T 28 ball bearing center section turbo and the S15 has the VVT (I know about the high vs. low port head but it is hard for me to believe the guys at Nissan put a head on that is not as good as the old one), I would guess that the turbo itself is probally 30 to 40 h.p. so you are probally looking at a MAXIMUM gain of 20 horses.I also did'nt mention that the S15 probally has a much better E.C.U..But hey ,I give you props for the idea,and if you want to be different and have something no one else has I SAY GO FOR IT!!!Good luck either way.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Your taking the head off one side of a V6 and trying to mold it to a large 4- banger? VVT isnt that great... for the money just get some PDM cams and have more power AND money left over.

777aaron

I think he just wants to use the VVT cam gear on the KA's head.At least that is what I hope cause if you tried to use the head you would have some real problems,like not having enough cylinders for your engine.

technoman

I think he just wants to use the VVT cam gear on the KA's head.

Yes this is what i want to do i have all the paerts to do it i need to just machine it all

numatik
Car: cars

wow man that sounds pretty complicated. If it works though, it would be really cool.

technoman

i still think with the proper ECU it could be done. i may need to switch to 4 coil packs. wich would be a pain. getting the chain to line up would be another task. but say i did do this im still not going to see much more power. and the front timming cover would need the most mods to retain the oil and make that sproket fit inside it. but as strong as my motor is i could not imagane how much stronger the motor would pull with a twisting intake cam. :ylsuper

numatik
Car: cars

do it

grygst76

technoman wrote:Why can’t I just think of a way to integrate a VVT intake Sprocket on my ka cam? I have a maxima head just sitting here and im begging my friend who is a machinist who can work wonders with aluminum. I’m looking at a 94 VG30DE 4 cam 94maxima motor. This engine has VVT on both intake cams front side and back side. Six coil packs with no rocker arms laid out just like a KA cam set. If I can integrate that intake sprocket I can have VVT. On a ka You must under stand the coiled sprocket to no that’s how VVT is achieved. I need to custom bolt this VVT sprocket on the end of my KA intake cam and make sure the exhaust sprocket will work. Possibly use the maxima exhaust cam sprocket not VVT. I will need to cut a whole in the upper timing cover for the sprocket to stick out. And work out the chain issue. I could custom fab a plastic cover to shield it and hold oil in. And hope like hell JWT could alter my ECU to understand my fuel/air curve with an intake cam that advances and retards. Imputs please?

Technoman!
I think it's a great idea but I'm sure JWT will not be able to alter the ecu into the variable timing issue, only because he would have to add that circuitry to your existing ecu which might take a while. variable timing isn't all its cracked up to be--retarding a cam gives you less low rpm and more top rpm--more advance is more low and less high--you can get the same effect if you install an msd with variable timing control like I have in my 76 camaro. It does the same thing even while you're driving--with the variable timing I knocked a full second off my 1/4 and 60ft times were even better due to less slippage at the tires. But for every day driving I leave it alone although I only drive my camaro on saturdays due to 6 miles to the gallon!! I would say the fabrication will be the easy part, the hard part is the ecu! Might end up costing well over 900.00 for that ecu alone!!

777aaron

Changing ignition timing and changing the phase of your camshaft are two TOTALLY different things,they both affect performance but are still different.Using the MSD you can change when the spark occours,plus you also get the advantage of having the plug fire more than once to help in having more efficent combustion,hence the name Multiple Spark Discharge.Now on the other hand changing your intake cam phasing(this means the amount of degrees the cam is in at in relation to T.D.C. on the engine)would actually alter when the valves open and close.You are right as far as the engine making power at different r.p.m. byadvancing and retarding the cam though.One more thing to think about,vvt on a small or big block Chevy (or almost any domestic cam in block V-8 for that matter) would not be able to reap the same effects since the cam not only controls intake,but your exhaust valves also,yes you would see some gain,but nothing close to what you would see on a engine w/seperate cams for intake and exhaust valves.

grygst76

777aaron wrote:Changing ignition timing and changing the phase of your camshaft are two TOTALLY different things,they both affect performance but are still different.Using the MSD you can change when the spark occours,plus you also get the advantage of having the plug fire more than once to help in having more efficent combustion,hence the name Multiple Spark Discharge.Now on the other hand changing your intake cam phasing(this means the amount of degrees the cam is in at in relation to T.D.C. on the engine)would actually alter when the valves open and close.You are right as far as the engine making power at different r.p.m. byadvancing and retarding the cam though.

One more thing to think about,vvt on a small or big block Chevy (or almost any domestic cam in block V-8 for that matter) would not be able to reap the same effects since the cam not only controls intake,but your exhaust valves also,yes you would see some gain,but nothing close to what you would see on a engine w/seperate cams for intake and exhaust valves.
change timing electronically or change timing physically---same exact concept variable timing thats why they call it that keep your static timing the same only means distributor stays in exact spot but you still change the timing when you retard or advance. msd has the kit to vary the timing with import engines that does the same exact thing that V.V.T does except at an electronic level. MSD satnds for what you said but the add on kits they also supply with the kit are the ones that vary the timing. For example my cam runs out of juice at 6800rpm's but with the timing kit I can get it to 8000 even though the cam phase is still the same How did I do that?

technoman

Well you did'nt change the valve timming but you changed spark plug firing. Id say the that's the most important because i don't why let me think. :confused:

grygst76

technoman wrote:Well you did'nt change the valve timming but you changed spark plug firing. Id say the that's the most important because i don't why let me think. :confused:
EXACTLY!!! somewhat... I retarted the timing thru spark control which is not the same as varying valve timing but the same concept. Your phasing-static, and initial stay the same but varying the spark timing give you a broader spectrum of power without smashing a cylinder with a valve!! I like that more then the idea of varying the valves in my opinion but I think both work just about the same

777aaron

You said that msd offers the kit for import engines,how would this adopt to a domestic V-8 (I am guessing that is what you are running)?I agree that msd is a much better system , I also know from personel experience as I went from a H.E.I. with an accel coil and good spring advance kit to a 6AL setup my car went from running a 8.10 to a 7.80's , and yes it would also run more rpms , but this was not because the cam timing was changed , as I do not think it would be able to do this through an msd box as it only controls ignition and has nothing to do with when the valves open , remember that we are also talking about cars w/ no E.C.U..

grygst76

777aaron wrote:You said that msd offers the kit for import engines,how would this adopt to a domestic V-8 (I am guessing that is what you are running)?I agree that msd is a much better system , I also know from personel experience as I went from a H.E.I. with an accel coil and good spring advance kit to a 6AL setup my car went from running a 8.10 to a 7.80's , and yes it would also run more rpms , but this was not because the cam timing was changed , as I do not think it would be able to do this through an msd box as it only controls ignition and has nothing to do with when the valves open , remember that we are also talking about cars w/ no E.C.U..
I have the vari-curve controller connected to the digital 7 that varies it either way--advance or retard but not the valves which I already posted

777aaron

I was unaware that you had already said that because I'm just a poor boy w/ some super slow webtv:( but it gets the job done for checking out what you guys have to say which is all I really use it for anyway (or care about for that matter).As far as smashing your valves that is totally dependant on the engine itself , but it sounds like we both know that can be a problem in a small blockchevy,especially w/some decent compressoion and a big cam:ylsuper !!

grygst76

777aaron wrote:I was unaware that you had already said that because I'm just a poor boy w/ some super slow webtv:( but it gets the job done for checking out what you guys have to say which is all I really use it for anyway (or care about for that matter).As far as smashing your valves that is totally dependant on the engine itself , but it sounds like we both know that can be a problem in a small blockchevy,especially w/some decent compressoion and a big cam:ylsuper !!
That blown 406 is the reason your poor LOL!! J/K my small chevy only has 550 intake 565 exhaust so I did have a slight problem when I went to my 385 fast burn heads. I shaved it to 59 cc's and cannot go any further!!! these are on a 327 too... but its in a sled (76 camaro) I'd die to put it in my 240 but I would have to invest in goodyear stocks since my camaro has 15x9.5 in the rear with 265/50/15 and I have to baby the crap out of the throttle just to stop the burn Imagine that motor in a 92 240sx!! SMOKIN!!!!!

technoman

I'd die to put it in my 240

yes you would die. sounds scary man!

grygst76

technoman wrote:I'd die to put it in my 240

yes you would die. sounds scary man!
Man I could tell you horror stories about that beast!!! I call it my wuustang beater!! I loved pissing them guys off!! But the real reason why I got into imports was jerry rome owner of jerry rome nissan owned a 92 300zxtt that he worked like hell and beat the crap out of my camaro all the time. I could only beat him when I use the nos otherwise forget it.. He convinced me to buy my 240 so it went from there and here I am!! One of the problems I had or have is usually owners of chevies or fords are rednecks but you cant beat the dollar per horsepower figures achieved I got into imports because I want to high performance my nissan to beat the chevies but its gonna take money---a whole lot of spending money but I have the patience but not the money (yet) I love my 240 it handles like a hot knife thru butter

777aaron

My 240 engie is blown-up,the malibu is n.a.all the way.Sounds like you got a pretty quick car grygst.I sure know what you mean w/ the redneck syndrome,I love beating those crustang and rustangs,those dudes get so pissed they want to fight,then its great to beat them again!I got into imports cause of bikes,they know where the tech. is at.That and my friend let me drive his,then my mind was made up that my next ride had to be a 240.I love the way you can dirt track these babies on asphalt,I think they handle as good as a vette.

grygst76

777aaron wrote:My 240 engie is blown-up,the malibu is n.a.all the way.Sounds like you got a pretty quick car grygst.
does 10.3 @130 without juice and 150 shot gives me traction problems so I only do 9.63 and they kick me off the quarter because I have no rollcage!!! LOL!!! I'd love to stick it in my 240 but here in assachusetts you have to pass emissions from 79 and up!! they would laugh me to death oh well. I'm going to be selling it in a few days because I'm bored of it.. know anyone looking for a beast?

777aaron

Damn fast.I never got my car on a 1/4 mile but I would gues low twelves,maybe high 11's with some slicks.I know I don't have any problem taking out my budies 2002 ZO6with his 100 shot of juice,and I can still get him by 4-5 cars across the local bridge.I'm selling my car too so I can get a engine for my 240,just gotten tired of it.

grygst76

777aaron wrote:Damn fast.I never got my car on a 1/4 mile but I would gues low twelves,maybe high 11's with some slicks.I know I don't have any problem taking out my budies 2002 ZO6with his 100 shot of juice,and I can still get him by 4-5 cars across the local bridge.I'm selling my car too so I can get a engine for my 240,just gotten tired of it.

I ventured to imports because chevies got real easy to work on--unlike imports that are a little bit complicated due to the electronics, I can throw new heads on a chvy in an hour or less, not on a import!!! I like the challenge

777aaron

Yeah,the challenge is cool,nothing like making your brain hurt to get you motivated.I've been around chevies my whole life,my Father owns a racing engine and high performance machine shop,but about 95% of the stuff we do is fo N.H.R.A. super stock and competition eliminator.I love that high winding scream of a good import,that reminds me of a bike.I would love to build a twin turbo 434 small block with D.F.I. or F.A.S.T. injection but it is pretty cost prohibitive.

grygst76

777aaron wrote:Yeah,the challenge is cool,nothing like making your brain hurt to get you motivated.I've been around chevies my whole life,my Father owns a racing engine and high performance machine shop,but about 95% of the stuff we do is fo N.H.R.A. super stock and competition eliminator.I love that high winding scream of a good import,that reminds me of a bike.I would love to build a twin turbo 434 small block with D.F.I. or F.A.S.T. injection but it is pretty cost prohibitive.

My friend built a twin turbo iroc and it cost him 24,000 just for the motor not including the custom pumpkin and driveshaft but man the sound of a turbo is out of this world!! I had a 93 supra twin turbo and at the time I had a high paying job so the insurance didn't kill me (I lost that job right after sept 11) and the thing screamed !!!! nothing like the loud a** sound of a blow off to make you jump.. I had my friends with me when I put greddy's in it and the blow off was so loud when I shifted @6700 that I swear my buddy screamed like a girl--the funniest thing I ever seen! I want a 1998 supra but my pay was cut in half so I can just hope and dream for now, maybe I can get my 240 to push 400 horses!! even 500 would be nice! But in reality I miss my supra, it broke my heart when I was forced to sell it but thats when my buddy Jerry introduced me to imports he owns a couple car dealerships here in mass jerr rome nissan is one of them. He gave me a wicked deal on a brand new 240 in 1992 and I liked it because it cornered like hell even better then my supra ever did so I bought it. He owned a 1992 300ZX twin turbo that was from the factory pushing 335 horses and he sunk a fortune into it and was pulling over 500 RWHP and street legal so he pissed me off.

technoman

I helped my friend build a 91 300zxTT. It makes 386whp.That is the only car that realy scared me!:eek:

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”