V-mount setup for GRIP RACING

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
unichi

Well played man, it looks fantastic. Did you use sheet aluminum for all that duct work? How thick? Does it double as the mounting points for the radiator and IC also?

sr20goofus

unichi wrote:Well played man, it looks fantastic. Did you use sheet aluminum for all that duct work? How thick? Does it double as the mounting points for the radiator and IC also?
i did you aluminum sheet for the ducting about 0.026" i think....i might be lying about how thick. The IC and Rad are mounted on their own and the ducting fits in there on its own also, does not count as any kind of mount, the IC and RAD both have a bunch of little tabs welded onto them as brackets for the ducting to mount to.

corey240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Base Drift Machine

i feel stupid for asking but hey where would you get in life without asking questions? ok i more or less understand the way an intercooler works and radiator, so if there isnt really anything behind the 2 on your setup could you put metal right up behind them to close them off with a piece of heatwrap matt on the engine side and then when the air hits the one it will basicaly stay on it and then directly go up the the intercooler as well, more efficiently...basicaly saying instead of the air completly going through the two you could make the air stay on them, but would that make a big cooling difference for the air that flows through the 2 into the motor and general engine bay itself?

sr20goofus

the air has to pass through the cooler(IC RAD, Tranny, OIL) for it to actually bne effective, the air takes the heat away from the rad making the water inside cooler, its a heat exchanger. If i block it off, the cooler will no longer be functional at all. Its ok to ask questions, ask whatever youwant.

corey240

thes people have a pretty nice set up...i like how they did the bumper and the v-mount. more pics of the whole project car in the 240 section. i wana run in the street class in the redline time attack next year hopfully it will be at vir or summit point. you should do it too! well have a showdown even though it will be more like me following a mile behind you lol. im seriously thinking about doing a v-mount like yours on my s14. i just gota get a welder and do some learning and il be good to go

EDIT: forgot the pic lol

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

you know you have to qualify for redline by running NASA time attack and finishing a certain position there...and to run NASA time attack you need to run HPDE all the way to level 4 right? not to burst your bubble in case you didnt know, but if you havent done any track days yet, and i dont recall you having done any because a few months ago you were making threads asking about track days, you should expect probably 2 years of running at the track every weekend possible before youre allowed to run the redline event...trust me its my goal too, but at this point its one of the premier time attacks in the country

my aiming point, and im thinking yours too, will be hoping they do a time attack again at VIR or somewhere like the one theyre doing at nico fest, where its open to anybody...id be running it this year but i cant do it budget wise yet

if youve been secretly running track days all summer and not telling anyone, more power to you!

corey240

you just shatterd my dreams no but i am gona do alot of autocross and hopfully the first hpde at summit point next year. how do you get to level 4? sorry to thread jack

nismofly

count on running probably 4 - 6 HPDE's at each level, so you might get into level 2 next year if you run enough events, then by summer 08 youll be in 3 and maybe get into 4...run a few events in 4 then you apply for a TT permit, then you run events there to qualify for redline

like i said plan on probably summer 09 before youre running TT, then if youre fast enough you might qualify that year

corey240

that sucks, they should have that on there website.they get poeple all hyped up over it and then BOOM! you gota be level 4 man. looks like i got alota work to do. more money then work and money is one thing im short of. god i hate being poor.looks like you guys will be seeing me alot next summer.

corey240

that sucks, they should have that on there website.they get poeple all hyped up over it and then BOOM! you gota be level 4 man. looks like i got alota work to do. more money then work and money is one thing im short of. god i hate being poor.looks like you guys will be seeing me alot next summer...and the next...and the next

nismofly

well, in the redline ads you can see where it talks about the qualifying races...those are NASA time attack events

if you go to NASA's website and look at the time trial stuff, it talks about having HPDE 4 experience to run the time trials...so itd be my guess that youve got to be top rung HPDE to start time trial

but just think of the experience youll have going into your first timed event

im using the time ill be spending in HPDE to build my car, then when i finally get to TT ill have what i want in a car and can concentrate on driving

sr20goofus

nismofly I thought you were talking to me before about not having done any track time.

I have come to the realization that funding for me to become competative, i am stilll in college, yes my last year but still in college. I plan to get 6 events in next season hopefully, maybe 1 or 2 more depending on funds and then february of 08 i will apply to be an instructor with NASA and maybe another group or 2 so that i can do several events once im an instrctor and build up funds for the car to go full race prepped and have money for tires and spare parts during the race season. Once i get about a year of track time as an instructor under my belt i may decide to build a different race car and just keep my car for track days, or as a backup for a optional second class race car.

The ideal race car setup i want to track because i think it would be more fun than anythgin would be an S14 with some aero work 725/315 Hoosier setup with Moton suspension, appropriet suspension links. roll cage incorperating NASCAR doorbars and the front strut-towers to make it all as stiff as possible to accompany the stitch weding. Rear end would have a 4.3 final drive 4pot brakes. Under the hood an GM LS2/6 with appropriet valvetrain mods to rev up to 7krpm with a T56 6 spd tranny. Lots of torque and HP and tons of reliability in a car designed to handle everycorner thrown in my way, i htink that would be a great track machine, and my backup or first string race car in about 2 years....

nismofly

lol about you not having any or me? i know youve obviously got a ton, ive been to one HPDE at watkins glen so far, but im hoping to ramp up to 6 - 8 events next summer

thats a lot like what my hatch will become...widebody, big slicks, small block under the hood, crazy suspension...its going to be a while but im going to stick to it and get it all done

corey240

so you want an s14? by mine! lol its perfect for a track car! you can be an instructor and instruct me lol

nismofly

he wants an s14, not me lol

i think people prefer s14's because of their ability to fit more tire, but im taking care of that on my 13 so i dont need to worry about it

corey240

oh i know thats what i meant

sr20goofus

nismofly wrote:i think people prefer s14's because of their ability to fit more tire, but im taking care of that on my 13 so i dont need to worry about it
oh no i will be running a 295 series tire on my car next year after suspension upgrade, fitment is not an issue due to the fact that i make fender flares that give me just enough room to fit a 10" wheel with the right offset to fit the whole tire.

I actually only want the S14 because its dimensions are a little different from the s13,has more inside room for driver (im tall) they are newer, less rust to repair and no matter what in my opinion when done right will look way better than an S13 especially when you see me tailgating corvetts and porches on track...

sr20goofus

UPDATES!!

got some free used tires...(6) Hoosier RSO6(4) Hoosier RSO5all in good shape, will last me all of next year...easily....

Rewiring of the chasis with Tefzel aviation grade wiring will take place over my winter break, after that the car should be completely trouble free for a long time assuming i dont get some craptastic engien failure next year .

nismofly

i think youve said it before...but refresh my memory

where do you get the slightly used hoosiers?

id LOVE to be able to step up to them, but need a source like youve got

the only place i know to get them is as they come off DP and GT rolex cars, and i obviously cant fit those

sr20goofus

if you go to ANY track event where ther are races, NASA HPDE's or SCCA races, there are people dying to get rid of their old tires. Just find the people who are closest to you (license plate state ID) and make sure they have a tire size you want or like and just ask. Some people will sell, others just want to clear out their garage.

nismofly

so you just have to find the right people i suppose, because im sure some people are doing the same as you, others probably run their tires a lot longer

i guess ill have to start trying that next summer, so that by the time i move up to running slicks ive got a good sized collection

thanks again

sr20goofus

its always a good idea to start a collection. In all honesty i dont need slicks yet, but for the cost effectiveness to run them....i cant beat it, i have basically spent $250 on 3 sets of used slicks that will last me a long time.....where as any new set of tires id be well over $1000 for just 2 sets. especially since im doing everything on such a budget i need to save as much money as possible.

basically for all of next year, uinless i get a great deal on suspension i wont be upgrading anything, just seats and harness's i believe becaus ei can get a great price on new Sparco EVO L's and harness's, so i think those will be my next investment.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”