Using the auto wipers in manual mode

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
drtbar

Mod note:
This is a deeper discussion about the operation of the automatic wipers, derived from THIS DISCUSSION of intra-generational changes.

I have to second the gripe on the auto wipers. They usually swipe too often, or not often enough. Next to impossible to get them to swipe when I want. I usually just turn them off and use the manual mist swipe. What a joke.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

are you adjusting the sensitivity?

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

There is no adjustment for the auto wipers

SATOWM
NOT SURE WHAT PACKAGE IT COMES ON AND DON'T CARE
DON'T BE RUDE
I wanted to turn that function off and just use the intermittent wipers like a normal car but that isn't possible.

Drtbar
That's exactly what I have issue with. I like the ultra fast wipe when there isn't a need for something like that.

Andy

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Malbec 56 Beast wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:29 pm
There is no adjustment for the auto wipers

SATOWM
NOT SURE WHAT PACKAGE IT COMES ON AND DON'T CARE
DON'T BE RUDE
I wanted to turn that function off and just use the intermittent wipers like a normal car but that isn't possible.

Drtbar
That's exactly what I have issue with. I like the ultra fast wipe when there isn't a need for something like that.

Andy
There is an adjustment. On the stalk for the wipers there's an option to twist forward or back while you are on the Auto setting. It doesn't work very well as others have mentioned. You can turn off auto-wipe by putting it in the off position. The settings are Off, Auto, and then three different wipe speeds, if I recall correctly. I don't think anyone was trying to be rude. Maybe he thought it odd that you hadn't seen the off setting before.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

My wife's Lexus has what appears to be an identical system to the Q70 wipers and we've had the same complaints. Living in the rainy northwest, I've found the best thing that works is to ensure that I clean the windshield thoroughly, especially around the rain sensor and then apply RainX or equivalent product. I just bought a bottle of the Griot's glass sealer and plan to apply it soon. The key seems to be the sensor.

Malbec 56 Beast
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy

Sorry didn't mean to be testy

BUT

There are no off option for the wipers, it's not rocket science to run wipers. If you have this option you still get the intermittent wiper arm but they do not offer any adjustability to the auto wiper system. They should be able to be switched off and run intermittent, low and high but that's not how they function.

Best

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Malbec 56 Beast wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:59 pm
Sorry didn't mean to be testy

BUT

There are no off option for the wipers, it's not rocket science to run wipers. If you have this option you still get the intermittent wiper arm but they do not offer any adjustability to the auto wiper system. They should be able to be switched off and run intermittent, low and high but that's not how they function.

Best

No harm done re testy.

Are you saying there is no off option on your wiper stalk? There is on mine - First position.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Again, THERE IS the ability to adjust the auto wipers. Twisting the stalk adjusts the sensitivity.

"The rain sensor sensitivity level can be adjusted by turning the knob toward the front, (High) or toward the rear, (Low).•High — High sensitive operation•Low — Low sensitive operation. To turn the rain-sensing auto wiper system off, push up the lever to the “OFF” position."

If you don't have your owners manual they are available online for download or viewing for free.

"Standard exterior features include a power sliding tinted glass moonroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade, automatic on/off High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional Xenon headlights with windshield wiper interlock, dual exhaust with polished tips, power-folding heated outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature, rain-sensing variable intermittent front windshield wipers and courtesy lamps built into the outside door handles.

Malbec 56 Beast
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy

Ya

I know we can turn them completely off, I was hoping to shut off just the auto/rain sensor function and just be able to use the standard intermittent wipers. The auto setup works just right maybe 50% of the time. The rest of the time they have a mind of its own. I'll try to see if adjusting the dial helps.

Thanks

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

From the owner’s manual:

RAIN-SENSING AUTO WIPER SYSTEM
The rain-sensing auto wiper system can automatically turn on the wipers and adjust the wiper speed depending on the rainfall and vehicle speed by using the rain sensor located on the upper part of the windshield.
To set the rain-sensing auto wiper system, push the lever down to the AUTO position (1st detent below off). The wiper will sweep once while the ignition switch is in the ON position.
The rain sensor sensitivity level can adjusted be turning the knob toward the dash (high) or toward the driver (low).
- High – High sensitive operation
- Low – Low sensitive operation
To turn the rain-sensing auto wiper system off, push up the lever to the OFF position, or pull down the lever to the LO or HI position.
  • The rain-sensing auto wipers are intended for use during rain. If the switch is left in the AUTO position, the wipers may operate unexpectedly when dirt, fingerprints, oil film or insects are stuck on or around the sensor. The wipers may also operate when exhaust gas or moisture affect the rain sensor
  • The rain-sensing auto wipers may not operate if rain does not hit the rain sensor even if it is raining.
  • When the windshield glass is coated with water repellent, the speed of the rain-sensing auto wipers may be higher even though the amount of the rainfall is small.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Allow me to cool this on-going rouw. When the auto wipers became standard, the old school intermittent wipers were chucked. There is no longer even an option to have intermittent wipers. You have to use the auto system and try to adjust the sensitivity, or shut them off completely. It drove me absolutely MAD until I got used to them. They will still wipe like bonkers when not needed, but eventually, you will find a sensitivity setting that doesn't completely disgust you. :mad:

Malbec 56 Beast
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy

I do know how to turn the wipers off, jeez, just wish we could just go to the intermittent wipers over the auto.

Tried the adjustment arm and not a lot of change.

In glad, in a sad way, that Lexus has this ad well and it's not just another great Infiniti offering lol.

Sorry for jacking the thread a bit.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Infiniti was one of the late car makers to add this *(%$@@$^&(! feature. My old Escalade had this feature and also switched the headlamps on when rain activated the wipers. Back in those days, GM offered a choice - you could activate the auto system, or just use the old school intermittent. Whoever it was who first dreamed up this totally stupid feature should have woke up, slapped himself, and gone back to bed.

Malbec 56 Beast
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy

Well said lol

Sometimes it's spot on more often than not it is a bit crazy. It's either way to much wiping for the amount of rain or not nearly enough. Life goes on, I like way more than hate things on this car and it's fun as he'll to drive specially in the snow. She's a beast.

cliffyk
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 w/ "Premium" package

From the 2012 OM:

LeeDr
Car: 2014 Infiniti QX60

There is a way for the dealer to disable the rain sensor and have 4 positions of regular intermittent wipers. I just had it done today after suffering years with this problem post6852811.html#p6852811

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”