Using NOS on SR20 engine

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
DRIFTERWANABE
Car: cars,,gurls,,

Im going to install "NOS" as soon as I can get some questions answered!!!!! How big of a shot can I put on there , I was thinking a 70 shot but I need to make sure? Also if i turn the PSI up to 14 from its stock 7 can I still use a NOS 70 shot???

I H8 UR DSM

It depends on what kind of mods you have, and especially how well your car is tuned...what kind of engine management you have...and what fuel setup you have....and what fuel your using, etc....Yes it can be done safely, but you have to defend against detonation, so make sure you know what your doing as far as tuning it goes.

jesse.

Daunttless

If you just strap a 70 shot on their with 14 PSI and normal octane fuel on a stock SR20 you're probably going to detonate....

DRIFTERWANABE

I just had the engine put in so I havent had time to do any internal work!!! Can you tell me what I need done so I can safely do it but will it work with a 50 shot and 14 PSI. Should I turn down the boost to like 10 or 12 PSI. Let me know!!

I H8 UR DSM

I wouldnt necessarily worry about your internals, but make sure you have a big intercoler, upgraded fuel pump, guages to keep an eye on everything, some sort of fuel management (s-afc, or get the JWT tuned ecu, tuned for nitrous), larger downpipe, exhaust, and just make sure your not detonating...i know i can run my car at 16psi, and a 70 wet shot, and most likely be ok, but my car is tuned, and i would have it tuned with the nitrous before taking it out...Nitrous is your friend as long as you know what your doing, and how to tune cars, otherwise it can be your worst enemy.

Make sure you are running higher octane fuel, maybe get some 108 and go 50/50 w/ 94, you can use water injection if you would like, like i said, just prevent against detonation....We cant give you a definite answer on what to do, we dont want you to hurt your engine...it can be done safely no problem, just make sure your fuel is in check.

trpower7

Fuel management really is the key here, everything else can probably stand up to it if you don't shoot it every day, but for the love, do NOT let that turbo engine detonate. I've seen one good detonation blow an engine all to hell. Fuel injectors, pump, pressure regulator, JWT ECU retuned for Nitrous and a good boost controller turned to about 12 PSI should be able to let you run a 100 shot, but if you plan on doing it often a really good exhaust is necessary. Also, as a side note, run some THICK SYNTHETIC OIL!!!!!!!!!! Get you some Mobil1 15W-50 and put it in right now. Also, never use ANYTHING but the best fuel you can get your hands on. Boost on.

DRIFTERWANABE

All of that sounds great but is going to take time because of money but it will get done. But for now with a stock intercooler and a HKS exhuast and gauges do you think I can use a 50 shot and run 12psi??

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

You got an answer. Do a little more research before you ask so similar question. Remember, this is your engine, and whatever you do to strengthen the engine before you up boost and nitrous (please call it nitrous, not NOS) isnt gonna HURT the engine. I'd stave off detonation first. I don't know about 50 shot and turning up the boost, but I know a guy that ran his sr20 with full exhaust and a 150 shot and everything was all good. I dunno if that helps any.

trpower7

That exhaust is not going to do jack, do not put that kind of wear and tear on your engine right now. 12PSI and Nitrous will start the wear process alot quicker, and I hope you want the SR to last until you can SAFELY do the nitrous. Run 10 PSI until you get the money to make it all worth it and stable.

DRIFTERWANABE

Run 10 PSI and 50 shot of NOS??

trpower7

No, just run 10PSI for now. Wait and save money and then do the Nitrous and send in your ECU to jwt to get tuned for it and all the stuff the rest of us mentioned. SAVE THAT SR, you paid enough for it to screw it up because of impatience.

Daunttless

TRpower is right, better to hold off until you are sure everything will work. Take the 500-600 for the nitrous kit, add another 300, and get a nice front mount intercooler kit. It will help you significantly more than nitrous. : )

Bbill528
Car: Cars, running, skiing

where do you go to school, i thought about gettin sr20det, but not enough money. Just gonna get an s14, whats your car like?

DRIFTERWANABE

I have a 93 240SX or S13. It took me 3 months to save up for the car and 6 months to save up for the front clip and a paint job!!

Bbill528
Car: Cars, running, skiing

that's cool, this morning i saw an s13 in that was primed or something, but it had an intercooler and type x tails, first turbo 240 i have ever seen in charlotte. It was on I485 goin the other way so i didn't get a good look at it

I H8 UR DSM

i think basically, we're trying to be nice. In all honesty if you have to ask the question, you prob. shouldnt run 'nos' on your car right now. I would recommend just researching it a bit, and the fact that you ask the question probrobly means you dont really understand what goes into having a nitrous kit and its affects on the car and motor. the motor 'can' handle it, but you have to be aware of what problems occur when running nitrous, what is doing to your car, and how to scave off potential harmful affects.Your fuel, like we said is going to be your biggest issue. running 14psi on the stock 240 fuel pump isnt a great thing first off, then to run nitrous, your asking extra. and you dont have any tuning device or an ecu. basically i answered your question exactly didnt i?

"I wouldnt necessarily worry about your internals, but make sure you have a big intercoler, upgraded fuel pump, guages to keep an eye on everything, some sort of fuel management (s-afc, or get the JWT tuned ecu, tuned for nitrous), larger downpipe, exhaust, and just make sure your not detonating...i know i can run my car at 16psi, and a 70 wet shot, and most likely be ok, but my car is tuned, and i would have it tuned with the nitrous before taking it out...Nitrous is your friend as long as you know what your doing, and how to tune cars, otherwise it can be your worst enemy.

Make sure you are running higher octane fuel, maybe get some 108 and go 50/50 w/ 94, you can use water injection if you would like, like i said, just prevent against detonation....We cant give you a definite answer on what to do, we dont want you to hurt your engine...it can be done safely no problem, just make sure your fuel is in check."

basically i cant add too much to what was previosly said.

you can do it, but you cannot just throw it on the car and go. id like to say go ahead, but i dont want you to blame me if something goes wrong. do you have a dyno? are you doing the swap yourself? why do you want to run nitrous? do you know how to tune cars? do you have a dyno? have you ever ran nitrous before? have you had a turbo car before? do you understand detonation?

please answer those questions, and then i would recommend maybe reading a bit about nitrous maybe on 'nos's' website or something. I really dont know what else your looking for us to tell you.

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

::sniffle::

that was beautiful, man, I couldn't have said it better myself . . . Please don't waste such a nice engine by "nos"-ing it AND tunring up the boost . . .

trpower7

we need to copy that post and send it to everyone who posts something like that...........

Rifter240
Car: 1989 240 with a SBC bored .20 over

If i remember correctly...didn't everyone start out not knowing anything? Take it easy and loose the holier than thou attitudes guys. Everyone has to start out from somewhere and maybe he doesn't have a nismo tuner living next door to him he can ask about these things. Everyone should just settle down.

trpower7

You learn by watching and reading posts, doing internet searches, all this information could have been found out that way. I didn't post for months just because I wanted to be as educated as possible and not waste everyone's time. I suggest the other newbies do the same

I H8 UR DSM

Rifter240 wrote:If i remember correctly...didn't everyone start out not knowing anything? Take it easy and loose the holier than thou attitudes guys. Everyone has to start out from somewhere and maybe he doesn't have a nismo tuner living next door to him he can ask about these things. Everyone should just settle down.
true....but its more the fact that he asked a question, and i answered it...then he asked the same questing, and i answered it...then he asked the same question, and i answered it....how many times can you ask for advice, or answers, but not listen, or take it into your mind?

Rifter240
Car: 1989 240 with a SBC bored .20 over

All i am saying is that you guys should take it easy on him. Don't just rip him to pieces. I know there was aq time in my life whne i wanted a blower, a turbo and Nitrious all on my car. I could'nt get it through my thick skull that you couldn't have all three.

Daunttless

The only thing stopping you is cash flow and the fact you'd probably blow up your engine. But if you go back to the cash part, if you do it right you could have all three. : )

Ace
Car: S14

I have nitrous oxide on my soon to be sold Integra and its alright but I cant wait to start my SR20DET project. Nitrous is cool if you plan on racing a lot, but I barely use the bottle. I know that I wouldn't even think of putting Nitrous on my SR20DET motor. Only use nitrous on a motor that is built for it and or you don't really care about. My car is non V-Tec so I could replace it easily, an I wouldn't flip out if I blew it. Your going to do what you want though. But please for the sake of the motor use the smallest jet and just use it to spool the turbo and then switch the nitrous off. You won't need it once the turbo is boosting.

SpeedFreak

go 100 shot on stock with 18 lbs of boost. It will be a night you never will forget......unless your.......CHICKEN!!!!

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”