Used SR20det

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
danflcc
Car: cars...and cars

Ive got a guy that works for a performance shop that is selling a SR that has a bent rod, he wants 500 for it. Is it worth a rebuild at that price? I was planning on upgrading the turbo and intercooler anyway (to put around 300-325rwhp) so i would more then likely need to upgrade the internals along with it (forged rods and pistons ect...). The block has aprox 60k btw. Is it worth it or should i just get a "new" SR? Thanks

Oh ya will the SR match up to a stock 91 240 tranny, I heard that they are the same but want to confirm.

Daunttless

Dependant upon the extent of the damage it may or may not be worth it, it also depends on how much you're looking to spend total.

The tranny will not match up unless you have the SR bellhousing.

danflcc
Car: cars...and cars

From what he tells me its just got one bent rod but i was planning on replacing them in the future anyway so i figured that this might be a good way to start b/c im not paying for something i dont need. Other than that the motor is fine he said, comes with an ECU and uncut harness but no tranny. I figured I should be able to rebuild it for something along the lines of 1600-1900 including the motor, advantage is then it would have all new gaskets and forged rods and pistons, so high boost would be no problem. Ive got like 9-11k to spend including getting the car (looking for an s13).

BuudWeizErr

If you've got 10,000 to spend, here is what I would suggest doing. Buy a 240, then do an SR20DET swap, complete, with a "new" engine. But at the same time, buy the shortblock from that guy, and build that up. Just go nuts on the bottom end, and build up the head. Make it able to withstand 1000HP or some ungodly number, then when/if you blow the SR20 you bought, you can just drop in the SR20 you built, and make it a monster.

EDIT: Overbore, stroke the engine, whatever.

That's what I intend to do, get my SR20, get it into the 11's or 12's on a stock shortblock, then get another shortblock, and upgrade it like theres no tomorrow.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”