Used 2012 M37x

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

I currently have a 2007 M35x and we've been looking for a new/used car for my wife. She found what looks like a great deal on a 2012 M37x with 38,000 miles on it. The dealer wants $23,900 for it - it looks like it is in very good shape (some minor paint scratches) and the Carfax looks very clean. The concern is that is was a luxury rental.

I've always been nervous about buying a used rental car. Has anyone else bought a former rental Infiniti? What do you recommend? We were looking for a used G37x in the price range and were surprised to find an M in our range. The dealer has had it on the lot since May and just dropped the price $2,000.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

What kind of rental? If you mean a loner for customers having their car serviced I would stay away; I personally have beaten on the loaners a bit. If a rental like a daily/weekly rental I would still be cautious, a good test drive could tell you how beaten in it is. If you mean rental as in leased vehicle you can probably expect it has been maintained and cared for.

In any case a good test drive and look around the vehicle should tell you enough. If is Infiniti certified pre-owned it will come with an extended warranty, not full but better than nothing.

M37rinh
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

my car was a lease car and its been fine to me if it was a rental car like kmiles said yeah i wouldnt get it unless its under 20k lol so you can use the extra money for a extended warranty

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I agree with M37rinh. If this car was a rental from, say, Enterprise, etc then it was probably driven with little care by the multiple renters. However, some peeps drive the living crap out of their own cars and then trade them in at the dealer when they find that an expensive part is near the end. Even with a clean CarFax, you really know nothing about the car. Since it was likely bought at an auction by the dealer, they also knew nothing when they got it. However, before they put it on the lot, they did a very close inspection before setting the selling price. Rentals probably do not qualify for "certified' at dealerships. But, since there is always more profit margin on a used car (especially bought at auction), see if they will throw in the elite warranty at no cost to you. Tell them the car has sat on the lot and will continue to sit, but if they throw in the warranty, the car will come off the lot today. Then if you buy it, have the first oil change done at another Infiniti dealer and get the free inspection. That will show anything the car needs and you will have a good idea what condition it is in, and what warranty items it may need.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Thanks everyone - I value the advice received on this forum! It is truly a rental car, not a leased vehicle. It was either an Enterprise or National rental in Seattle. I'm going to see if they'll let me take it for the weekend and get it fully checked out. I have the same concerns many of you have expressed. The rental car companies are not known for staying on top of maintenance schedules. I see it all of the time in the many rentals that I drive in a year. The only other thing that I didn't like about the car, other than it being a rental, was the new tires that they put on it. They are Nexan and appear to be the cheapest thing that they could find.

Larz - I like your suggestion on the extended warranty. If after test driving it, I'll negotiate that in the package.

Luckily we're not in a hurry. My wife's current 2001 is at 210,000 miles and she wants a newer car. She had settled in on the G, but loved this M.

Thanks everyone! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”