urethane bushings!!

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
jdub_767

hey guys, i am on the NWDE.org (thats northwest datsun enthusiasts) trucks
forum as well and i am in the process of starting a group buy there for
some polyurethane bushings. i want any of you guys with 521's to jump in on this (and if you have a pre...'77 ? 620 that has the kingpin setup, this
may work for you too). i think the thread should be in trucks under general
automotive... ok so here's a link:
http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_ ... jdub%5F767
right but first things first; i need to round up some oem bushings to be used as models to cast the urethane ones. any suggestions as to where to go to find some? i am almost to the point of going to an online auto parts locator service and seeing if they could find them for me, but i dont know much about them or how reliable they are or how likely they are to give out my sensitive information to 3rd parties, so a little help would be appreciated. but i am serious enough about this that i am willing to risk it to get some us some urethane! i also did check on some other good sites. on autopartsgiant.com this guy named aaron was really cool and said that he wanted to help out, but i needed to get some part numbers for the bushings. do any of you have part numbers for the oem bushings we want? let me know. you can email me or post here or join the nwde forum too and post on the thread i put a link to up top. SPREAD THE WORD! THE MORE PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO BUY IN, THE LOWER THE FINAL PRICE IS PROBABLY GONNA BE. thanks guys, jw.

IMH

I've had urethane bushing on my 64 L320 for about 15 years.  All I did was match the stock bushings to the appropriate sized urethane bushing and change them out.  

jdub_767

right... well, in this case i would be having an exact kit made specific to the datsun 521, and after that there is the possibility of having them duplicated in the future even after the gb is over because a cast will have been made. thats really cool that you have urethane bushings on your 64 though! how were you able to match them? did you just buy a kit for a similar truck and fit the ones that matched? i was thinking about doing that with a datsun 720 as it is the earliest datsun truck that the big companies made a kit for, but was persuaded that it would be inpractical and they dont have the kingpin set up. where did you get your bushings from? thanks, jw.

IMH

Like I said, I just measured them and matched them up.  I bought most of them from the old and now out of business 'Super Shops' (remember them?).  I remember looking through one of their catalogs that had the various bushing listed by size.  I think the comany's name was Verathane or something like that.  Remember, it was about 15 years ago.  An exact kit would have made things easier.

jdub_767

right on. yeah i am really hoping to get this going right, ya'no. i really hope we can get a lot of people helped out with this thing. i guess we will see right? does anybody know the part numbers for the bushings? thanks, jw.

jetjocks2003

I don't know why I can't post on the nwde.org site I sent anothe emal to the administrator we'll see I don't know why it even lets me have a log on, I have no permissions
Matt

jdub_767

that sucks man! it must be some kink in the system. idunno, i could post right off when i joined. those are really good guys, so i am sure they will get you straeightenned out. did you see that i put you on the list?nice right. i will put a brief post on the urethane thread asking about your privileges. check the thread cuz the guys are pretty good about responding. later matt.

BTW does anybody else care about getting bushings for their truck?? and does anybody have some part numbers? later guys. jw

jdub_767

done, i posted up on a couple of threads about your problem man. one of them was to a cool guy named doug who is an administrator, so things should shape up soon. later man. i look forward to hearing from you on the nwde forum too! jw.:cool:

71-521

[user=8]jetjocks2003[/user] wrote: [quote] I don't know why I can't post on the nwde.org site [/quote][quote]Matt
[/quote]Hopefully it can get sorted...but as the Moderator put it a while ago, that board is going to crash in a year or less due to the size...it's parent club won't spring for a better board or hosting so it's like just deal with what it is while it is...or something like that...:?

jdub_767

man, i didnt know about that! that really sucks.  that is really too bad. i wonder if they will try asking some of the members to start contributing more? maybe they already have... i need to start being more active. well. hey i know you posted a thread a while back of a parts booklet with numbers and stuff but it didnt have any numbers for bushings. do you know where i could find some of those?? i need them to help get this group buy rolling. later, jw

jetjocks2003

If I rember right, there was a challenge to try to fill this board?  Am I right?

71-521

that is correct, the web hosting service that this board uses told Ken that they wanted to see what kind of bandwidth and useage this board could generate...

I can look at the stats and here's what they look like since creation:

71-521

not too much use...what I can't show is the total database size of about 56mb...

not too bad...considering the Mod of NWDE stated they were almost maxed at around 50mb here:

http://nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_post ... last#34044

(one up from the bottom...)

71-521

Anyways, back to the bushings issue...

there is a parts manual for the 521/520 on ebay right now...

I bid up to 25.00 trying to get it to find out the bushing numbers but someone out bid me...you might have deeper pockets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-N ... 3919QQrdZ1

Unkle

If I win that parts manual I will share part numbers .

jdub_767

right on man... i asked the seller to just give me the part numbers for the bushings...:cool: we shall see. trying to get it done quick you know? oh yeah, did you and 71-521 want me to put you guys on the list for the urethane bushings group buy once they are all done? let me know and i will add you two to the list; it will be encouraging to make the list bigger. LET ANYBODY KNOW about the gb who has an early 620 with kingpins or a 521!! later fellas, jw.

Unkle

Cool yeah put me in line ! Will the '67 be the same bushings ?

jdub_767

yeah man, if its a 521, they didnt change things up mid-gen like they did with the 620, so i will add you to the list!:cool: if anybody else wants in too, let me know. jw

71-521

umm, I thought I was second on the list behind you...but I may be wrong:

http://nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_post ... =3799&PN=1

jdub_767

:D oh yeah, sorry its been a long day man. so you are, for sure, and its a good thing too. thanks man. later, jw.:cool:

71-521

[user=4]71-521[/user] wrote: [quote]Anyways, back to the bushings issue...

there is a parts manual for the 521/520 on ebay right now...

I bid up to 25.00 trying to get it to find out the bushing numbers but someone out bid me...you might have deeper pockets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-N ... 3919QQrdZ1
[/quote]

it would have been scanned and shared with every 521 owner!

hopefully another one will show up so that we all can benefit from the knowledge!

Jdub_767: if you ever get the part numbers, will you pm them to me?

L8r

jdub_767

unkle won the auction. no worries, he is gonna share the love. he's on the group buy too remember? we are golden; i was just trying to get the part numbers faster than its gonna take for the seller to pack and ship the book, ya'no? we will definitely be getting the part numbers!! have faith my man, jw.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”