Upper links/Strut problem

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Catname
Car: Aquariums

Just received a call from The Inifiniti dealer, need to replace the Upper links on my 1994 Q45, 111K miles. Cost @ $400.00, also need to replace rear struts @ $595.00. Then the keyless remote problem, a bad remote unit cost $ 680.00. For a grand total - $1675.00.

Does this sound right?

Would Nissan work on theses vehicles?

DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

You can easily do all those yourself!!! I just did!

The upperlinks are baout 100 a piece from Joe at Infintiti of scotsdale http://www.infintitipartsusa.com and they are super simple to change!!Take off wheelGet 17mm socket and 17mm open end box wrench undo nut and boltsame with top nut and boltThe rear shocks are too bad either just rent a spring compressor and your ready to go. I would also recommend replacing all the rubber isolators and bushings while your at it since your taking it apart anyways.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

The factory rear shocks are around $200 each retail, but you can get Tokico Blue shocks for around $80-100 each. They're a little stiffer, but clean up the ride quite a bit (and last longer).

I wouldn't bother fixing the remote thing if I were you. I've never heard of that failing before, so they may be overdiagnosing the problem. Could be a switch or relay somewhere that's bad.

The 100K mark is when stuff gets expensive at the dealer. Might want to look around for an independent shop that's familiar with the car.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Ouch. I'm in the wrong line of work. I could charge half what they're asking for the struts and links and still make over $30/hour. But the prices sound fine for a dealership. They charge a good markup on the parts and the labor isn't cheap either. I figure the breakdown for the links is $300 for parts and 1 hour labor @ $100/hour. Struts are probably $400 for parts and 2 hours labor. Greg's right about the 100k mark; now is the time to start being cheap and saving as much as you can for future maintenance and repairs. Do as much as you can on your own. Don't mean to spook you, cause it sure is worth it.

firstq

I do not know where you are, in Phoenix I went to Scott for the same job and the amounts were (just to given you some sense from non dealership prices):

1 - Tokico shocks for rear ($125 for two shipped)2- Labor $1253 - Uppen links + labor = $300

Good luck...

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”