upper and lower oil pan failure

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
2007anja
Car: Nissan Murano

have a 2003 Murano with 68,000 miles. Both oil pans have failed. Has anyone else had this happen? Never seen this before.

njjoe
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD

Failed?? How did they fail?

-njjoe

2007anja

the seals on both are gone, they leak very badlyupper pan is a 8 hour job, very expensive fix

dancendreams
Car: 2003 nissan murano

2003 Nissan Murano/LE FWD, 72,000 mi. I know what you mean. I just spent 196.17 on resealing leaking oil pan and replacing gaskit sil! Don Davis talked me into replacing pwr s belt and fan&a belt for the hefty price of 128.82 and rubber hose was rubbing against oil pan so replaced rubber ring and two water hoses. All total 552.40. My radiator went out last week and local automotive repair shop replaced the radiator, thermostat & something else and I have been out around 1000.00 in the last two months and now my car doesn't want to start real well and the heater is still not blowing hot air during part of the time. I am not very happy at all!!!

2007anja

The Dealer replaced the upper and lower gaskets at $19 ea.Labor, however, was $588!They also replaced a $50 pulley.Total job was $748 for two $19 gaskets. I'm not real thrilled about that either.I'm talking with Nissan and they are to get back with me.

dancendreams
Car: 2003 nissan murano

can we talk? I need advise on next problem before I am out any more money! 254580-8436

2007anja

Nissan has decided to pay for the repair!

Mojomurano
Car: 2004 Nissan Murano

Same problem diagnosed today on my '04. (At just over 60,000 miles.)

2007anja, how did you set about inviting/persuading Nissan to make the repair FOC?

2007anja

they offered, I did nothing but smile.

they thought it way too coincidental.

MansfieldMurano
Car: 200 Nissan Murano

The oil pan gasket was leaking in our 03 Murano, (70k miles). Took to Don Davis Nissan of Arlington TX. They replaced the oil pan gasket and the filter tube gasket.

About a month later it was leak worse than ever. Took back to DD and they found THE DRAIN PLUG WAS LOOSE!!!! I was outraged at them for missing something so simple. They assured me the guy was one of their best techs, and it was just an accident. Fortunatly that 800 mile trip after our DD service did not leave us on the side of the road. Oh yeah, they double billed us on a $25 tube of RTV silicon.

Now it's been about three months and the same oil pan gasket it leaking. We will not be going to Don Davis if we can help it.

In 2003 through 2006 they were really good. Somewhere around 2007 they started to really suck and all the good service reps left. If you have a chance to go somewhere else then do so. If you go there DON'T TRUST ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU. ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE BROKEN PARTS ON THE CAR. CHECK YOUR BILL FOR EVER ITEM.

I will fix this one myself now. The same RTV silicone is $8 at local parts store.

fletch00
Car: Nissan Murano 2003

My '03 Murano has a steady oil drip within the last few weeks - I would appreciate your advice on how to obtain the same repair for free - its been regularly maintained at Nissan Broadwalk in RWC, CA - thankscocquyt at gmail dot comthanks!!

2007anja

Tom Peacock Nissan in Houston, TX just felt it was the right thing to do since both gaskets were leaking.My service advisor had been with the dealership 15 years. It was not so much the money as the principle. I believe they have redesigned on later Murano's. There should have been a service bulleting on this.I would just push hard for them to do the right thing that it is a design flaw from the beginning. I have had no further problems since then with 77,000 miles and it never uses any oil at all.Good luck, think positive and keep your cool. With owning 5 Nissans they want your return business and the service dept. wants to make you happy I think.

CPS

There is no gasket there at all, it is all silicone sealant.

Nissan has recently changed to a different sealant that is specific to Nissan and comes in a cartridge to be used in a caulking gun.

I've been at a dealer for over 3.5 years and I have never heard of this happening on any Nissan engine. We've had them come in with cracked pans that didn't leak like what you guys are describing, so I can't help you with that one.

ras315
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano SL

My Parents own a 2004 model and had their oil pans leaking right at 65K miles.

2003MO@95112
Car: 2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD

Roger that... just did the lower pan on my '03 MO. Just RTV, no gasket... and no fun getting the pan separated. I wasn't about to spring for the special tool so I had to tap a blade from my utility knife in the seam and eek my way along until she finally gave. The service manual pages were invaluable for the bolt order and torque specs (http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/murano/2003/em.pdf).

Thanks to you that take the time to post and share your wisdom!

tubbedz
Car: Several and a Harley until the wife says "sell it"

2007anja wrote:have a 2003 Murano with 68,000 miles. Both oil pans have failed. Has anyone else had this happen? Never seen this before.
On the 2003 Murano, the lower oil pan does not have a gasket, Nissan uses approved silicone and the oil pick-up in the pan has no gasket also. Felpro has a gasket for the lower oil pan , the part number is OS-30688 and it works better than the silicone. BTDT.

To me, the oil pickup mounting surface looks to be precisely machined flat, so oil pressure should not be affected but I always smear "gasgacinch" or similar so that I have peace of mind for my customers.

krylmrtn
Car: 2007 Morano

2007anja wrote:Nissan has decided to pay for the repair!
My 2007 Morano needs the "upper" gasket replaced, the dealer wants $1775.00!!!!, can you suggest something for me? Should it be that much? How did you get Nissan to pay for yours? I live in Colorado.

Return to “Murano Forum”