Upgrading to navigation on 2018 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Dich F.
Car: 2018 Rogue SV AWD

I purchased a used 2018 Rogue SV. It had SXM radio and backup camera but didn’t have navigation. I purchased a used display controller with navigation from another 2018 Rogue that was totaled. I purchased a separate GPS antenna and installed the used radio. Everything works fine except now backup camera now doesn’t display. There weren’t any settings to adjust either, (I know about the recall). I swap the radio back to the original, the camera work. I tried a different radio with navigation and the same thing happened. Is there something I’m missing?

Thank you for any guidance.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Pretty sure I covered this before, but I'm having a little trouble locating it.

This is NOT a simple swap or plug-n-play type of deal. The HU you purchased came from a car with the Around View System and you're trying to install it in a car that lacks that feature. The HU is expecting input from FOUR cameras, but is only getting a signal from ONE. Without those other THREE cameras the HU is unable to display the proper signal on the screen.

As far as I know, there's no way to override this to make the HU ignore the input error. And adding the missing cameras would require replacing the two outside mirrors and the logo in the grill. Not to mention that all the required wiring probably isn't there either.

My advice would be to see if you can return the HU for a refund, and get a decent aftermarket unit with the features you want.

Dich F.

Hi Rogue One, :wavey:

Thank you sir for the rapid response. If this topic was covered, and I believe it was, it didn’t come up on the search. In any case, I was afraid that was going to end up being the case. :cry: I did purchase it under the agreement of a possible return and refund.

Again, thanks

Lparsons21
Car: 2019 Rogue SV Hybrid

Since the original HU you have in your 2018 Rogue supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto why not just use that instead. Big advantage is that they have maps that are updated fairly often and at no cost. And the navigation stuff in those two works very well.

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

I'm in an '18 without nav. I use Android Auto and Waze. Works very well for me.

Dich F.

I concur that it is the price wise option. I just hoped it was a simple plug-and-play swap.

Lparsons21
Car: 2019 Rogue SV Hybrid

It isn’t just a better price wise option, IMO both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are better navigation performers too. While I’ve not had a Nissan with integrated Nav, I had a Buick with it and both Apple and Android performed better and were well integrated.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

With the proliferation of smartphones and their mapping systems I’m surprised that car makers are still putting navigation in new vehicles. I only use navigation on a trip anyway and the smartphone maps are generally up to date unlike the vehicle units. I guess it’s just a way of charging more for a vehicle. “ this vehicle has a navigation package for only $1300 extra, of course it’s only up to date for 30 days after the sale but hey it’s a great deal”

Dich F.

Just a friendly FYI. :biggrin: First thank you for your responses to this post.

I did find a drop-in replacement Head Unit. It’s a little expensive and took about two weeks to deliver but direct plug in (no adapter harness necessary). Just needed to install the navigation antenna. About two hours for installation and firmware update. :dblthumb:

https://www.infotainment.com/collection ... 3285487652

Although I do agree Google maps and Waze are much better. I don’t always want to connect my phone for Android Auto. Now I can get local traffic updates from the satellite radio.

malock
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue Special Edition

hi my friend i read your message .. your reversing camera is working

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Glad it worked out for you. Pricey solution though.

Dich F.

To malock,
Yes, my backup camera does work just fine.

Return to “Rogue Forum”