Upgrading sound system on 2018 rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

nayers1981 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 pm
So in trouble shooting, I need to make sure the head unit is out putting a 12v signal from the reverse wire as this is what the avm is looking for to initialize the back up camera. If it doesn't, need to look at an alternative.
The head unit would need to output a CAN message to the AVM, and I have no idea what the message and format would be. If you want to make it work, I suspect you'll need a CAN sniffer to identify the specific message using the OE head unit, then a means to mimic that message each time the reverse lamp circuit goes active. If the aftermarket head can be programmed for custom CAN messages then it's probably do-able with some investigative groundwork. If not, then you're probably SOL.

Ked
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport SV

nayers1981 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 am
Ked,

I went ahead and purchased the Spiral Audio kit as well to see if this would actually work. But once I have received the harness, I have realized it will not work. There is no harness that will accommodate the backup camera on the SL model, as there is no power supplied via the harness natively. Looking at other harnesses, such as the PAC RP4-NI11. They state to make a direct connection from the Around View Monitor Control Unit with an RCA and plug that directly into the aftermarket radio connection. Almost to the point of simply replacing the cameras and feeding them to the aftermarket radio, as this has cost me too much time and money to try and figure out lol. Might try the direct connection first then go the new cam route.
I forgot to ask if your SL had Factory Navigation originally or the top end Factory Navigation with Bose audio. Spiral Audio has the IX-NI004-1 for systems originally "with Factory Navigation installed." I'm not sure if that's the one you were referring to earlier. Incidentally, the IX-NI004 does not include the Camera Retention support, but the IX-NI004-1 does have it included. It may be worth emailing them to see if the IX-NI004-1 supports Around View system, especially if it sends the CAN signal properly. For me, I am betting that the old Axxess SWC interface with the optional backup camera support did not in my case. My camera still detects the Reverse signal intermittently. Sometimes I see an image, sometimes it's just a black screen. There's no pattern that I can find. When I get a warmer day, I am going to install the new harness assembly and see where we're at.

yunro
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD

Ked wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:59 am
nayers1981 wrote:
Ked,

I went ahead and purchased the Spiral Audio kit as well to see if this would actually work. But once I have received the harness, I have realized it will not work. There is no harness that will accommodate the backup camera on the SL model, as there is no power supplied via the harness natively. Looking at other harnesses, such as the PAC RP4-NI11. They state to make a direct connection from the Around View Monitor Control Unit with an RCA and plug that directly into the aftermarket radio connection. Almost to the point of simply replacing the cameras and feeding them to the aftermarket radio, as this has cost me too much time and money to try and figure out lol. Might try the direct connection first then go the new cam route.
I forgot to ask if your SL had Factory Navigation originally or the top end Factory Navigation with Bose audio. Spiral Audio has the IX-NI004-1 for systems originally "with Factory Navigation installed." I'm not sure if that's the one you were referring to earlier. Incidentally, the IX-NI004 does not include the Camera Retention support, but the IX-NI004-1 does have it included. It may be worth emailing them to see if the IX-NI004-1 supports Around View system, especially if it sends the CAN signal properly. For me, I am betting that the old Axxess SWC interface with the optional backup camera support did not in my case. My camera still detects the Reverse signal intermittently. Sometimes I see an image, sometimes it's just a black screen. There's no pattern that I can find. When I get a warmer day, I am going to install the new harness assembly and see where we're at.
Just found this discussion after replacing the radio in my 2015 Rogue SV. I used the PAC harness as I didn’t know about the Spiral harness at the time. I did tap into the backup camera, as PAC directs, it gives you only the backup camera image, but you have to use the head units backup lines.

I reached out to Spiral and they said they do not support the Around View camera, couldn’t get a straight answer on how they get the image to show up.

yunro

nayers1981 wrote:
Ked,

Did you end up installing the Spiral harness? I was looking at the IX-NI004-1, which from some further research is probably a rebranded Connects2 harness, which is AAMP Global (PAC’s owner) European arm. It seems these EU harnesses can retain the heads up clock, but on the Connect2 site I don’t see anything about retaining back up camera, so I’m wondering how Spiral does that. Their customer service seems very hesitant to pass out any info unless you have made a purchase.

Ked

yunro wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:11 am
nayers1981 wrote:
Ked,

Did you end up installing the Spiral harness? I was looking at the IX-NI004-1, which from some further research is probably a rebranded Connects2 harness, which is AAMP Global (PAC’s owner) European arm. It seems these EU harnesses can retain the heads up clock, but on the Connect2 site I don’t see anything about retaining back up camera, so I’m wondering how Spiral does that. Their customer service seems very hesitant to pass out any info unless you have made a purchase.
Thanks for the customer service feedback! I didn't install it, as we're still dealing with cold and snow here. I have to wait for a lucky warm day or two in the next couple of weeks. Yes, I did find that "Connects2" site in the UK and thought the harness looked familiar. However, if the Connects2 is the OEM, then the one Spiral sells has a modified secondary harness that adds the Camera signal (positive and negative) as well as the power and ground wires (power and ground from the harness connect directly to a self-contained 12-volt to 6-volt step down that simple connects to the 12-volt accessory and ground from the vehicle). On the connector that connects to the SWC module, there are the three wires that supply Parking Brake, Reverse, and Speed Sensor signal to connect to the aftermarket radio. Presumably, the SWC module gets these extra signals from the CAN bus? There is also a 12-volt 10-amp accessory wire coming from the SWC as well, but I'll use that as the low-current source for the (a) camera 12-volt power and (b) OEM factory microphone. Both harness products that they sell come in two variants that include the backup camera support. For example, in my case the IX-NI003 is designed for the Rogue Sport S or SV with the basic 4.3 inch CD/Satellite/XM radio. For $20 more, the IX-NI003-1 will add the necessary SINGLE camera backup support. For the SV and SL trim levels that have the non-Bose Factory Navigation, the IX-NI004 (without single camera) and IX-NI004-1 (with single camera) seem to be the ones to use because these vehicles utilize the 24-pin Navigation harness - which is where I ran into the problem with the Scosche LNN10. That kit seems to be for the Navigation models, but does not have camera retention support. While the LNN10 is fine for the Factory Navigation option on the SV and SL Rogue and Rogue Sport, it will not support the single-camera retention and the Around-View is definitely not an option.

Supposedly, there is a forum in here where someone got the Around-View to work. I haven't found it yet.

yunro

Ked wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:06 am
yunro wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:11 am

Thanks for the customer service feedback! I didn't install it, as we're still dealing with cold and snow here. I have to wait for a lucky warm day or two in the next couple of weeks. Yes, I did find that "Connects2" site in the UK and thought the harness looked familiar. However, if the Connects2 is the OEM, then the one Spiral sells has a modified secondary harness that adds the Camera signal (positive and negative) as well as the power and ground wires (power and ground from the harness connect directly to a self-contained 12-volt to 6-volt step down that simple connects to the 12-volt accessory and ground from the vehicle). On the connector that connects to the SWC module, there are the three wires that supply Parking Brake, Reverse, and Speed Sensor signal to connect to the aftermarket radio. Presumably, the SWC module gets these extra signals from the CAN bus? There is also a 12-volt 10-amp accessory wire coming from the SWC as well, but I'll use that as the low-current source for the (a) camera 12-volt power and (b) OEM factory microphone. Both harness products that they sell come in two variants that include the backup camera support. For example, in my case the IX-NI003 is designed for the Rogue Sport S or SV with the basic 4.3 inch CD/Satellite/XM radio. For $20 more, the IX-NI003-1 will add the necessary SINGLE camera backup support. For the SV and SL trim levels that have the non-Bose Factory Navigation, the IX-NI004 (without single camera) and IX-NI004-1 (with single camera) seem to be the ones to use because these vehicles utilize the 24-pin Navigation harness - which is where I ran into the problem with the Scosche LNN10. That kit seems to be for the Navigation models, but does not have camera retention support. While the LNN10 is fine for the Factory Navigation option on the SV and SL Rogue and Rogue Sport, it will not support the single-camera retention and the Around-View is definitely not an option.

Supposedly, there is a forum in here where someone got the Around-View to work. I haven't found it yet.
Thanks Ked for all the extra info. I sent another message to Spiral to see if they can tell me how they get the camera to consistently work for those of us with the All around system, as I had the same problem as nayer of the camera not staying on, as there is no camera power in the secondary harness. I am using the PAC harness so I tapped into the camera wires, which does work well. I also had to tap into the ACC power on the secondary harness as it is not supplied on the main harness of my Rogue. I am looking to move to the Spiral so I can eliminate all the taps, but if I get no answer on camera retention may go with the Scosche as it is much cheaper, and just keep my camera tap. Also would like a harness that can bring back the instrument cluster clock as I never realized I much I relied on it till It wasn’t working.

Ked

yunro wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:12 pm
Ked wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:06 am

Thanks Ked for all the extra info. I sent another message to Spiral to see if they can tell me how they get the camera to consistently work for those of us with the All around system, as I had the same problem as nayer of the camera not staying on, as there is no camera power in the secondary harness. I am using the PAC harness so I tapped into the camera wires, which does work well. I also had to tap into the ACC power on the secondary harness as it is not supplied on the main harness of my Rogue. I am looking to move to the Spiral so I can eliminate all the taps, but if I get no answer on camera retention may go with the Scosche as it is much cheaper, and just keep my camera tap. Also would like a harness that can bring back the instrument cluster clock as I never realized I much I relied on it till It wasn’t working.
When I reached out to Scosche, they claimed that the LNN10 allowed the clock to be set in the instrument panel, the Spiral does this as well. We'll see. It's also an annoyance to not have a clock with the proper time in the instrument cluster for me.

Dskipps
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue

So I installed the Spiral Audio kit into my 2017 SV, I have the all around camera system, and will not produce any image from the rear camera. It does however retain the dash clock for anyone asking. It also reads the signal for reverse. I am digging more into this.

yunro

Dskipps wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
So I installed the Spiral Audio kit into my 2017 SV, I have the all around camera system, and will not produce any image from the rear camera. It does however retain the dash clock for anyone asking. It also reads the signal for reverse. I am digging more into this.
Thanks for the info on the Spiral kit, let us know if you learn anything more.

I did what PAC suggested and tapped into the wiring at the All Around Unit, which is not super easy to access behind the glove box on the 2015 SV.

Hope to install the Scosche LNN10 soon to see if that also retains the clock, the PAC module does not.

Ked

yunro wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 am
Dskipps wrote:

I did what PAC suggested and tapped into the wiring at the All Around Unit, which is not super easy to access behind the glove box on the 2015 SV.

Hope to install the Scosche LNN10 soon to see if that also retains the clock, the PAC module does not.
The Scosche LNN10 and the Spiral Audio do retain the dash clock. There are instructions included on the button combination to press on the steering wheel. It was a selling point of that feature that made me interested in those products.

Anyway, here is the final version of the Spiral/PAC/Alpine wiring harness that's ready to be installed once we get some warmer whether and the snow is gone. It's not a pretty final harness, but it had to be electrically solid and can fit into the rear space behind the radio. The good news is that the Alpine iLX-F309 is a single-DIN unit, so I have a little extra space to work with.

yunro

yunro wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 am
Dskipps wrote:

The Scosche does retain the clock, also found that it retains accessory power after turning off the car and before opening the door, which the PAC does not provide.

diplatis
Car: 2015 Nissan Pulsar C13 1.5dci

Hi, I've done this on my Nissan but I get a loud whistling noise together with my voice. The sound doesn't decrease if I turn down the volume so it's probably not feedback.
Any ideas where this would come from?
Thanks.

Ked

Five years later, a status update. This project thus far has been a disappointment and a failure. All of the past OEM integration kits have proven to be a failure for me. Nothing has worked with a degree of consistency, with the net result being the demise of the Alpine iLX-F309. This model Alpine radio has been problematic for me and has not worked correctly since the beginning. It turns on when it wants to, usually 40 minutes into a 45-minute drive. Sometimes, the steering wheelcontrols do not work - randomly. The factory clock was never retained with the Spiral Audio kit, which, I understand works on some variants of the Rogue Sport (the one equipped with Navigation, for example). The volume will randomly mute for no reason. The previous pictures that I posted made me squeamish, in retrospect, compared to the clean installations that I've seen with the iData Link product.

Perhaps the full compatibility of OEM integration kits of the past was not there. It seems these provided half-solutions in my case - never fully solving all of the objectives set out when I started this. As fate would have it, iData Link has released an OEM kit which addresses every Nissan Model. They have a CANBUS module, T-Harness, and radio-specific harness available for Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer. I may be cutting my losses and start over with a less expensive head unit (and definitely not a floating head model). I just have had a less than stellar experience installing this particular floating head unit, some I'm probably going back to a 7" in-dash unit. I have looked at alternate solutions such as Dasaita's 10.1 inch unit that is customized for the Rogue/Quashqai platform. But those are very risky with the same concerns over OEM integration (They say that they give you the CANBUS adapter and all of the necessary cabling, but the installation still has some vagueness to it). I am leaning towards another radio (I haven't decided specifics yet) and the iData Link OEM kit, since feedback from installers have been very positive so far. Well, we shall see...

Return to “Rogue Forum”