Upgrading Intake for Straight Pipe

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
300ZackX
Car: 1985 Nissan 300zx (non turbo)

Hi, I recently traded for a 1985 300zx (non-turbo) that is straight piped.

I noticed afterwards that amy air filter was not installed. The original filter cabin and that plastic box were sitting in the back of the vehicle so over time I reinstalled then with new ducts.

I didn't realize at the time that I would need an upgraded air intake to balance out the exhaust.

I'm not entirely sure what I should be getting (cold air intake?), if there's a certain kind that is better for my 300zx, or if any aftermarket system would work for the car.

While I intend to install a standard exhaust system back on it in the hear future, upgrading the intake for now seems to be the cheaper and more available option to me. I need this car running properly enough to take me to a new job in a few days. I would really appreciate some tips!

macgiver

Most cold air intakes you'll hear "noise" on the web that they simply take VERY HOT air from inside the engine compartment using a huge cone shaped "open" filter , .... :wtf2:
I'm looking into a true externally sourced intake / scoop ? Like through the hood , like the Mopar Mucsle cars you push a button and this oversixze scoop slowly opens like a Great White Shark -Jaws :rotfl
Look at those WRX hoods intakes , that application was successful , right ?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

The Z31 is already "cold air" as the air filter and intake sit forward of the core support. A cone air filter is a popular mod.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”